My post of yesterday

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

My post of yesterday

Postby Rosy » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:29 pm

Dear all
Yesterday I came back after a long time not posting, asking a question about my husbands's problem with a heart valve. The forum was however still on the old format. Today, logging in hoping to find your valued answer, I cannot find trace of my post at all in the lounge where I posted. Any ideas on the reasons ?
In case I will post again but I'm wondering what happened.
Thank you.
Rosy
Rosy

Re: My post of yesterday

Postby landog » Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:01 pm

I can't find it, either, Rosy!
Please repost.
landog

Postby Rosy » Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:41 am

Thank you, Landog for taking the time to look for my lost post. Apologies for the outstanding reply, times are a little hectic here. My previous post was about recalling the times when I first found Dr.McDougall, back in 2012 when I first experienced chest pain. I had been telling that founding Dr.McDougall, all his free information and all of the people that participate in this forums, has surely avoided me getting a heart patient. I did tell that I have been on and off the wagon since then, always having the guide lines in my brain but I also pointed out that, however, I strongly recommend being on board, consistently, 100% of the time.
But the most important question I was asking related to my husband, 92 years of age, whom the surgeon, last Autumn, strongly recommended surgery to replace a heart valve (I cannot swear if it was the aortic one, but I believe it was). My husband suffered a hemorragic stroke back in 2016, from which he came home quite well, given the circumstances and his age at that time. However, the fact that he is now 92 and the fact that he would probably be on blood thinner (for life?) after the surgery, scared us quite a lot and we did not agree on the surgery. Unfortunately, we notice that his breathing is getting more difficult; not only after exertion (i.e. walking up the stairs) but sometimes also when at rest. I know that 92 years are a good age and I know that this WOE can do lots of goods but probably not working miracles... but I was wondering if you (perhaps Dr.McDougall?)believe it could help in this precise case. And, in case you would recommend it, what shall I be paying attention particularly with his food ? I mean more protein, less protein, more starches, less starches....
Thank you very much to all of you.
Rosy
Rosy

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Not sure how age affects heart valve replacement surgery, but I do know that simply changing diet is not going to fix a damaged heart valve. My father had that problem (in his late 70's). He had trouble breathing before replacement and was much improved afterward. He also had COPD and other health problems, but replacement gave him additional years of a better life.

Get a consult with Dr. Lim and a second opinion from another cardiologist before you opt against heart valve replacement.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:41 am

Ditto to what Vanilla Orchid said. Eat the healthy McD diet starting now. That is a no brainer but like the previous poster said, eating healthy is unlikely to help this issue so you must give careful consideration before deciding on surgery or not. I know any kind of heart surgery is a very scary thing to think about but sometimes it is necessary and the risks are worth it IMO. Best of luck to your hubby. He is doing something right at age 92 :) . What is his diet like now?
KillSwitch

Postby indypass » Thu Jul 08, 2021 9:48 am

I have been a vegan for 50 years and have followed a McDougall life style for the last 20. I'm 73 years old, and last year I found out that I had a heart murmur, which was severe. The murmur was found during a preop evaluation at the Andrews Institute prior to knee replacement surgery. What a year, two knees and a heart valve in the span of 9 months. Getting old can be a real riot! What was surprising is that I had no symptoms from the defective valve. I am a hiker, and prior to my knee issues, walked every day. Once the knee issues occurred, I switched to a recumbent exercise bike, putting in 1 hour a day. I weigh 177 lbs and am 6'1" in height. I've never smoked, and prior to surgery, only drank very moderately. I don't believe my life style contributed in any way to the valve damage. It was a shock to find out about the murmur, but I am thankful that it was found prior to debilitating symptoms.

I went to the Cleveland Clinic for further evaluation, and they confirmed the need for an aortic valve replacement. They performed extensive tests prior to this recommendation, including an angiogram. While getting prepped for the angiogram, I told the doctors that I wouldn't have any blockages since I was a vegan. They laughed at me, rolling their eyes. 10 minutes later they were shocked to find that my arteries were clean. Later they checked the carotid arteries with a different test, and found that they were also clean. I felt a huge sense of relief since bypass surgery was now off the table. Further tests found that 40% of the blood being pumped through the valve was being regurgitated back into the heart.

I had aortic valve replacement surgery, through the sternum, performed last February, and after a week in the hospital went home. I immediately stared walking again, starting with one mile, but soon up to 4 or 5 miles a morning. I currently take 1 baby aspirin a day, which is the only medication prescribed. Although I have had these health issues, I credit the McDougall life style with keeping me in good heath overall, and able to sail through these surgeries.
indypass

Return to The Lounge