Oat Groats

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oat Groats

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:31 am

I am trying to find where I can buy the whole oat groats. Does anyone here have any suggestions? I use to buy Bob's Red Mill from Amazon and Walmart (sometimes), but they do not carry these any more it seems. I am on a budget and trying to get the most bang for my buck also.

Thanks--
KillSwitch

Re: Oat Groats

Postby VeggieSue » Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:52 am

I looked on the Bob's Red Mill website and it looks like oat groats have been discontinued entirely.

You may as well just do an Amazon search and choose one of the other brands that pop up. You can get from 2 through 14 pound bags, conventional or organic, but watch the shipping costs on some of them.
VeggieSue

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:04 pm

Thanks Jeff and Veggie Sue. The last link you posted @ Jeff had a fantastic price for 50 LBS but the shipping was cost prohibitive. I called around locally and I found a local health food store in my area that sells them for about $1.40 per lb and the girl said I can get as much as I want. :D
KillSwitch

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jul 06, 2021 8:45 pm

@ Veggie Sue

I wrote Bob's Red Mill. Here is what a Senior Customer Service Representative for the company wrote back to me. Looks like many ppl don't like or eat the oat groats I suppose.

Thank you for your email and for using Bob’s Red Mill products!

The sustained spike in customer demand for our wholesome products during this challenging time has prompted the Mill to reflect on our product assortment. As a result, it was decided unfortunately to discontinue the Organic Oat Groats in all sizes.

In order to improve production efficiencies for our core items, and to make room for some exciting new products that we will be introducing soon, a number of low-selling items are being discontinued. There were multiple factors involved in making this decision, including packaging restrictions, production and labor, sales and sourcing issues.

You could try checking with the below online retailers to see if they carry a similar product, as they offer a variety of whole grain and natural products.
KillSwitch

Postby MikeyG » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:35 am

I just got a 50 lb bag of grain from Azure Standard, and the pick-up process (to avoid paying a shipping fee) from my community drop location was pretty straightforward.

Here's the entry for their conventional oat groats (they also have a more expensive organic option):

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/prod ... roats/9503

$1.03/lb for a 5 lb bag
$0.67/lb for a 25 lb bag
$0.62/lb for a 50 lb bag

So that might be an option if you decide you really like the groats and want a deal on bulk :)

(I've had many stores willing to give a bulk purchase discount, though, so you might be able to get 10-15% off if you bought bulk at your local store, too.)

Unfortunately, there's a $5 "small order fee" for any order below $50 with Azure.

I really wanted my 50 lb bag, though, so I just bought a bunch of their most affordable toilet paper, which seemed competitive based on what I would have typically bought locally, to put me over the $50 mark :p

I hope that helps :) Thanks for all the good that you do.
MikeyG

Postby KillSwitch » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:10 am

Interesting MikeyG. Thanks for the info. Tell me more about the community drop location. How does that work? What did you pay in total for the 50 LB bag? Image
KillSwitch

Postby MikeyG » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:55 am

Here's their intro:
https://www.azurestandard.com/healthy-l ... delivered/

... and the map of where local drops are:
https://www.azurestandard.com/drop-point-locator

If you don't find one, you might be able to start one:
https://www.azurestandard.com/healthy-l ... zure-drop/

I have three local drops in a 20-mile radius from where I live in Salinas, CA. My route doesn't involve a "Shipping Fee" for picking up at a local drop, but some areas do:

"SHIPPING FEES FOR SOME STATES
If you are on a route in some parts of the country, you will have an 8.5% shipping surcharge added to your invoice. You can approximate your total charge by taking the grand total and multiplying it by 0.085. The following states have an additional delivery charge due to the long distance from the Azure warehouse; AL, AR, CO, FL, GA, IA, ID, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MO, MS, MT-east of Missoula, NC, ND, NE, NM-east, OH, OK, SD, TN, TX, UT, WI, WY."
https://www.azurestandard.com/healthy-l ... t-pricing/

I bought a 50 lb bag of the nine rolled grains, primarily for variety. I would have preferred a less processed option. However, I recall that Jeff (Novick) has encouraged variety in past posts on the forums, and I think my chances for health are better when I follow his advice ;) . The 9-grain option seemed to be an affordable way to work towards this variety.

Another upside to rolled grains is easier preparation. The easier preparation of rolled grains has been helpful when traveling when all I really need is a source of hot water and an appropriate vessel in which to combine the two.

[I also would have preferred something without whole flaxseed, as I add a small amount of daily ground flax to my food as it is, but it's tough to beat the price that Azure offers.]

I paid $29.85 for a 50 lb bag of 9-grain flakes [$0.60/lb]:
https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/prod ... kage=CE317

... and $21.30 for 36 rolls of this toilet paper:
https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/prod ... kage=NF953

The toilet paper was the cheapest product I could easily identify that I would likely buy anyway to get over the $50 mark to avoid the "small order" fee.

Total purchase: $51.15

I couldn't make it at the exact time and day that the truck was supposed to show up, but I e-mailed my drop coordinator, whose contact information was listed with the drop, to see if she could let me pick it up at a later time and date. She agreed to hold my items. If I recall correctly, I drove over later that evening after having asked her in advance to have the items out on her porch for pick-up. That made my actual pick-up process pretty straightforward.

Azure also apparently has a referral program, so if you're feeling charitable, please feel free to use my "personal share code": MichaelGovaerts1

[Details about the referral program: https://www.azurestandard.com/healthy-l ... e-program/ ]

I hope that helps :)
MikeyG

Postby KillSwitch » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:00 pm

Thanks MikeyG. Very helpful information friend.Image
KillSwitch

Postby MikeyG » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:29 pm

You're very welcome.

For anyone interested, here's one example of context for my comment about variety:

Novick on Variety:
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 29#p454929

Jeff Novick, MS RD wrote:"Three Essential Keys To a Healthy Diet
Jeff Novick, MS, RDN
1) Foods Over Nutrients,

2) Variety Within A Food Group

3) Dietary Patterns.

Understanding the importance of these three key issues and the importance of our overall dietary patterns, especially as I have described it above, allows us to pick from a variety of minimally processed, nutrient-rich foods within that overall dietary pattern. "

[Thanks, Jeff :) ]

I hope that helps :) Please have a wonderful day, and thanks for all the good that you do <3
MikeyG

Postby colonyofcells » Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:54 am

Before the pandemic, I used to go to the nearby korean supermarkets and was able to buy oat groats. The oat groats I got turned out to be naked oats or hulless oats. Lots of internet sellers of naked oats or hulless oats. Hulless oats probably have more fiber bec the process to remove the hulls is not required.
colonyofcells

Postby landog » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:40 am

landog

Postby Daydream » Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:32 pm

There are 2 brands that sell organic oat groats on Amazon:

"GF Harvest brand" Gluten Free Organic Oat Groats, 5 Pound Bag is $14.79.

"Food to Live brand" Organic Oat Groats, 3 Pounds — 100% Whole Grain, Non-GMO Seeds, Kosher, Raw, Non-Irradiated is $15.99
Daydream

Postby KillSwitch » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:48 am

Thanks landog. The 50 LB bag with the flat rate shipping is a pretty good deal IMO. :D
KillSwitch

Return to The Lounge