Need to Gain Weight

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Need to Gain Weight

Postby Goldenghost » Sun Mar 06, 2022 8:17 am

Not a day goes by that I don't have a peanut butter sandwich. With bread that's about 400 calories. Also usually have avocado toast or guacamole everyday. Another 400 calories. For snacks dry roasted peanuts. Lots of high calorie plant-based foods.
Goldenghost

Postby Lzs » Wed May 18, 2022 1:29 pm

Well I’m eating around 1850 calories and the calorie density is over 1000 which makes me nervous because I’m not eating things in there “natural state”. For example very dense polenta or tortillas instead of corn, dried vegetables instead of fresh. I also added 2 tablespoons of flaxseed to my oatmeal - suggestion from Dr. Esselstyn. However I am up a pound at 85 but BMI is 17%. - I’m 5 foot. My doctor said it’s good to gain slowly.
Lzs

Postby Chumly » Thu May 19, 2022 12:44 pm

Polenta is actually very low in calorie density. It is about 300 calories per pound according to the chronometer. You have to add a lot of water to make polenta.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Lzs » Tue May 24, 2022 12:56 pm

Mike,

My polenta is very high in density because I cook with less than half the suggested water. I calculated the caloric density by dividing the calories by the cooked weight of the polenta. I heard Dr. Lisle and Jeff Novick suggest should aim for average of 500-600 and I am around 800. It makes me worry that trying to gain weight has caused my triglycerides to go up because I am eating too many calories. My total cholesterol is 160 but my triglycerides are 202. I am not sure what is more important- having a bmi of 17% or high triglycerides. :cry:

I wish I could ask Jeff or Dr. McDougall

Lisa
Lzs

Postby Trinity » Wed May 25, 2022 6:13 pm

You can ask Jeff by posting your question in his forum. Just go to Board Index and then “Jeff Novick, RD” is the 3rd one down.
Trinity

Postby MikeyG » Mon May 30, 2022 9:25 pm

As we can see, a little bit (of increased daily caloric intake) goes a long way. I'm glad that the suggested calorie density increases have been effective, though.

Now, you can just experiment with gradually lowering the calorie density to get you back where you want to be, or, at the very least, reduce your potential to gain weight beyond where you would like or gain at too rapid a rate.

Based on the evidence I shared previously, I would definitely try to keep your BMI above at least 17.5, unless your physician were very confident that something at or below the recommended lower limit (based on the evidence) of 18.5 was appropriate for you. From what I can see from a topical overview of BMI, no major health organization believes going below 18.5 (or remaining there for long) would be a healthy choice.

Through incorporating exercise, especially weight-bearing activity, you could also ensure that the weight increases were going towards lean body mass that could improve your quality of life and prevent disability or infirmity as you age. Even at the same BMI, exercise would cause more of that BMI to be lean body mass (muscle or bone), which seems like it would be a healthy move.

[Exercise, Health and You: How Much Is Enough?
Jeff Novick, MS, RDN
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 58#p447958 ]

(Of note, BMI is an index, not a percentage, so referring to a BMI of 17 as "17%", for example, can often be confusing to many, as we have seen already in this thread ;)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index )

As Jeff (Novick) mentions here:
https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 25#p629425

... you're now just determining where your metabolic equilibrium is to maintain an evidence-based BMI while choosing the healthiest foods. As a result, I am sure that you're far healthier than the vast majority of the population, so I would try to be a little kinder to yourself and, if possible, a little less anxious ;)

I hope that helps. Please keep up the great work, and thanks for setting a good example of healthy, evidence-based eating and living for the community <3

(In addition, if you were very concerned and wanted the best possible insight, there's always signing up for a 12-day program, which would allow the McDougall team to professionally and comprehensively assess your situation and provide you with individualized recommendations:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/12-day-program/ )
MikeyG

Postby Lzs » Tue May 31, 2022 8:12 pm

Thanks for all the great info.

I am lifting weights 2 days a week and swim most days. I have decent muscle mass but still too thin. I feel I will be healthier closer to a BMI of 18.5%

I did not know that the 12-day program would be good for me but I might look into that (I do not like cooking so I might get some ideas and put on a few pounds while I’m there). Expense might be a problem but thanks for the suggestion.

Best,

Lisa
Lzs

Postby MikeyG » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:41 am

Thanks, Lisa. The McDougall 12 day program is now completely online, which has been found to help participants more easily learn how to be successful at home. With the residential program, that transition back from catered meals to home life was typically much more challenging for people.

I hope that helps. Thanks for taking care of yourself and for setting a good example for others, too.
MikeyG

Postby Dougalling2 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:00 am

Hello

Check out Dr McDougall's Color Picture Book. It now has hints on how to gain weight.
Dougalling2

Previous

Return to The Lounge