Concerned about advanced glycation end products -AGEs

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Concerned about advanced glycation end products -AGEs

Postby CloverLeaf » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:17 pm

I have a new air fryer. I love French fries. I'm making French fries and other things in it, like Brussel sprouts, all oil-free, of course. Should I be concerned about AGEs? I'm on a roll with potatoes and weight-loss and healthy eating but now I wonder about high heat on my food! :shock:
"When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need." – Ayurvedic Proverb
CloverLeaf

Re: Concerned about advanced glycation end products -AGEs

Postby Mark Cooper » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:27 pm

CloverLeaf wrote:I have a new air fryer. I love French fries. I'm making French fries and other things in it, like Brussel sprouts, all oil-free, of course. Should I be concerned about AGEs? I'm on a roll with potatoes and weight-loss and healthy eating but now I wonder about high heat on my food! :shock:

I think this thread should resolve most of your questions and concerns.
Mark Cooper

Postby CloverLeaf » Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:21 pm

Thank you for the link, Mark. That was great information. I guess I'm wondering now how many on this forum are concerned about AGEs and are they baking and air-frying potatoes and vegetables anyway, like I am? :?
"When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need." – Ayurvedic Proverb
CloverLeaf

Postby VegSeekingFit » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:04 pm

CloverLeaf wrote:Thank you for the link, Mark. That was great information. I guess I'm wondering now how many on this forum are concerned about AGEs and are they baking and air-frying potatoes and vegetables anyway, like I am? :?

Hi CloverLeaf, :-D

I am on the forum -- and totally not worried about it --- no air fryer, but baking potatoes and vegetables all the time...

Cheers,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:06 pm

Baked bread was staple of European and Middle Eastern food for thousands of years. No significant problem until the last couple of hundred years. That's when we switched from whole, coarse flours, to highly processed flours. In addition to adding sugar, oil, eggs, if we ate bread at all, in a switch to animal foods as the center of our plates. Toasted foods have also been staples of other cultures, like corn tortillas for the Aztecs.

Avoiding baked goods isn't in the guidelines. I think it's splitting hairs.

I bake bread twice a week, occasionally enjoy toast, make oven fries and roast vegetables. The benefit of eating more vegetables, and more plant foods, easily outweighs any downside. No reason not to make your food delicious.
michaelswarm

Postby CloverLeaf » Sat Jan 28, 2023 10:00 pm

Thanks, everyone. I'm feeling better about my air fryer now. And yes, the food is delicious this way! :-D
CloverLeaf

Postby A Balloon A Balloon » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:37 am

I think it's likely any slight downside would be justified by it making it easier for you to eat healthy food every day, and avoid unhealthy foods :) I think they're great, especially for potatoes, and for tofu (for those of us who eat that...).
A Balloon A Balloon

Return to The Lounge