Unhealthy people~~~

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Unhealthy people~~~

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:42 am

I have been thinking (I do that every once in a while) about all the unhealthy people I know :cry: Some older,some younger. High blood pressure, cholesterol, sinus problems, you name it and at least one of them has it. :eek: Some already have shelves of pills that they have to take every day and they are much younger than I am. :shock: I think to myself, I am so happy I am McDougalling, I would hate to be a slave to meds. :x
The hassles of dealing with insurance is incredible, they can't take a vacation without having to make sure they have enough meds and if they don't it is a hassle to get the Pharmacy give them to you without the insurance approval :eek:
I have to laugh because most take vitamin supplements on top of all else. The bottles usually say they have 100% of the daily requirement of
vitamins and minerals, so they think it gives them licence to eat poorly :?
Another thing ~~~ why do people change the way they eat to change results of test, then go back to the same poor way of eating after :?:
O.K. now it's starting to sound like a rant :o I feel better now that I got that off my chest :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Postby noodle » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:10 am

I couldn't agree with you more, Sunny. I think once in a while too. :D

My mom and dad are both completely enslaved by meds. And when one causes a side effect, another one is prescribed to counteract that one, etc. etc. You get the picture.

I've given them Dr.McD tapes, books, and my good health all as an encouragement to change their ways. But as many have said on this board, unless the individual really wants a change, coming from within themselves, I might as well be talking to the wind.

Thanks for a good post. :)
noodle

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:26 am

I have even said that myself "a person has to want to change", I guess what bugs me most is the constant complaining about all the meds they have to take, or how overweight they are, the solution is right in front of them. :(
Or when they say it is too hard to McDougall~~~Hmmm~~~If a normal SAD meal consists of meat, starch and a veggie, how hard is it to leave out the meat and just eat more of the other two :?:
I am just thinking too much today ~~~ :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Postby SandyW » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:18 am

Great post, Sunny! I actually have an aunt who has to go every 3 months for blood work due to her high cholesterol which she takes meds for...and I've heard her say more than once that it's only 2 weeks until her blood work again so she has to be good...and then she can go back to being bad afterwards....it may sound funny or she may think it's funny, but in reality it's NOT. She also thinks that she can cheat a lot with junk food because she's taking meds to control her cholesterol...it just drives me crazy. All I know is that I hope I'm never one who will be on several different kinds of meds for all kinds of medical problems! Let's all keep McDougalling and stay healthy and happy. :)
SandyW
_______
"I will not eat anything that walks, runs, skips, hops or crawls. God knows that I've crawled on occasion, and I'm glad that no one ate me." -----Alex Poulos
SandyW

BUT ... BUT ... BUT ...

Postby LifeDancer » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:25 am

Sunny wrote:Hmmm~~~If a normal SAD meal consists of meat, starch and a veggie, how hard is it to leave out the meat and just eat more of the other two :?:
[/color]

But, ummmm, exactly where in the world are they supposed to get their protein????

:lol:

(and the part I like best is when you cut out the meat part, all the nasty grease goes with it and clean-up is sooooo easy) :-D
There's a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.
--Morpheus, in the movie, "The Matrix", 1999
LifeDancer

Postby Sunny » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:20 pm

You crack me up LifeDancer :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey maybe they can get their protein the same place the cows and horses do :shock: It might be too hard for them to figure that one out :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

RA for 26 yrs

Postby koogle » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:41 pm

:confused:

Hi , I'm new to this site and am looking for alternatives to my current RA trmnt plan. I'm so confused on what program to try! Dr Don Colbert, Halleujah diet, Mcdougall, and Ted Broer, it's all so much to process. My family mbrs are total meat eaters and I know I would need support to try the 12 day program. I'd like to talk to someone who has struggled with RA for years and found permanant or significant relief using this program. I have the 12 day program book and a couple of the cook books already.

I'm approaching my 40th birthday and want to be the healthy active person I used to be. Help!

Postby serenity » Sun Oct 29, 2006 6:14 pm

Hi Koogle,
You might want to post this as a separate topic, so people will see it and can respond.
Meanwhile, try going to the McDougall main page and checking out the Star McDougaller page. There are stories of people who have managed their RA with diet there, and you will find stories of people with other autoimmune diseases. Here's one to get you started.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/star06_jean-brown.html
serenity

Hi Koogle ....

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:47 am

Welcome to the board ~~~ :-D

In my opinion after reading about the Hallelujah diet, it doesn't sound like something you would do long term.
The McDougall Plan is not a diet it is a change in lifestyle. Read the archived newletters and Star McDougaller's stories, you will find alot of helpful information regarding RA and how many have been helped.
I think this is your best bet. Hope to see you posting here on a regular basis. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

Relief from Rheumatoid Arthritis

Postby koogle » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:52 am

I'm ready to jump on the boat. I bought the 12 day program book last year, flipped through it and put it away. I modified my SAD by removing all meat but fish. No sweets, processed foods etc. I wasn't convinced diet affected the RA until I went back to the SAD and found my RA more active than it had been previously. I'm a quick learner so I'm just trying to figure out the best way to make the complete transition.
Koogle
koogle

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:15 am

Some people start with 12 day program then go into MWL, which does not include simple carbs. It all depends on what you are comfortable with, and what works for you. I would make a menu, cook up the foods you want to eat that week and have them ready to go. You can also make batches of soup or sauce and freeze it. It makes diving in so much easier. :-D
All the Best,
Sunny
Sunny

About the cholesterol test . . .

Postby Roxanne » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:28 am

It seems as though none of those people really care about their cholesterol, they just want to "pass the test" to keep their doctors from bitching to them about it. That way, they won't be put on any other more restrictive programs or monitered more closely.

"Okay, my mother in law's coming over, better clean the house. The kids can mess it up when she's gone but it has to be clean now to win her approval."

It's all a show for some people. It reminds me of one of my favorite Emerson quotes, from "Self-Reliance": "My life is for itself, and not for a spectacle." Be healthy for yourself, goddamnit, and not to please your doctor.
If you are going to doubt anything, doubt your limits.

Height: 5'7
BMI: 21.1

Roxanne

Return to The Lounge