Soaring BPA Levels Found in People Who Eat Canned Foods

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Soaring BPA Levels Found in People Who Eat Canned Foods

Postby Lacey » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:25 pm

I must have missed this thread the first time around. I just watched Bag It on Netflix and I must say that those saying they don't worry about this issue should watch the movie. Thank you Kittyadventure for the link.
Lacey

Postby Tiger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:49 am

Water bottles are increasingly labelled BPA-free. I'm surprised that some manufacturers (Coke) in that link are actually lobbying against concerns with BPA.

I have reusable grocery bags (you even get a penny off for each reusable bag used here - big savings! :roll: but it's the principle, I guess). I find cans are a great back-up though for a quick meal or when the power goes out. I'm trying to use canned food less, mainly for the sodium concern.

Don't know how I'd live without plastic, though. It's awful stuff in the environment but pretty useful for the freezer. In the past, what did people use for freezing? Wax paper and tin foil? Ice cream used to come in cardboard cartons. I suppose plastic just extends the lifetime of the food in the freezer.
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby Wild4Stars » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:06 am

After watching the movie "Bag It" I can assure you I'll be further reducing my use of plastic. I thought my canvas shopping bags and recycling everything was enough. It's not.

http://bagitmovie.com/

Prepare to be shocked at what you see and learn. Please take the time to watch this movie and then share it with others.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby healthyvegan » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:19 am

I bet all the hoses that water our plants on farms are plastic lined with BPA
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby rickfm » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:39 am

For future reference... I started a thread on the Bag It movie here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30500
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 am

healthyvegan wrote:I bet all the hoses that water our plants on farms are plastic lined with BPA

The question isn't whether chemicals are being sprayed on our food, but how much of the chemicals remain in/on the food. Some plants do uptake these chemicals, but the concentrations of chemicals and environmental pollutants are MUCH higher in animal products because it builds in their fatty tissue.

I'm glad that some countries have been smart with BPA and have outlawed it in many products (Japan has had bpa-free cans for like a decade!).
HealthyMe2010

Postby Atom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:51 am

While I definitley get my share of canned beans and tomatoes, something you all may consider is getting a canner/pressure cooker and start canning your own beans. We do pinto beans and black beans when we buy them in bulk from our church's Home Storage Center. You simply wash them, pick out any pebbles, add to hot, clean jars (about 1/2 full), add salt if desired, hot water and process for 75 minutes for quart at 15 pounds of pressure (or was it 10?...check on line). One thing I've noticed about canning beans is that you don't get gassy at all when you eat them. Or, at least I don't. :)
Atom

Postby napagirl » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:44 pm

We worry about this a lot in our house. I've been buying glass jars of tomato sauce and paste and Eden canned beans that have BPA free linings. Haven't had much luck with dried beans, I've soaked the heck out of them and boiled them the traditional way and tried them in the crock pot overnight and they are still tough (underdone).
Even my cat food comes in a BPA free can, it's hard to understand why more companies don't get on board with this but until we request them and refuse to buy those others, they have no motivation to change.
napagirl

Postby seashells » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:52 pm

I use a lot of canned foods and BPA does concern me. I try to buy BPA-free whenever possible. Thankfully there are more options out there these days. Like napagirl said, I can even get BPA-free cat food!

I did not know about BPA in receipts though! Good to know.
seashells

Previous

Return to The Lounge