Hungry

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hungry

Postby veganruthie » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:44 pm

I know this is kind of silly... but why am I sooooooooo hungry? It's bizarre. Everytime I've embarked on McDougalling I end up falling off the wagon because I feel like all the starches in the world could not fill me up. There was one point when I first tried years ago that I ended up eating over half a loaf of bread. Last night I ate several bowls of oatmeal. I've noticed, for sure, that some foods are more filling than others, but it seems like without the protein/fat at meals I just feel empty and in need of filling. Does this feeling go away? It's so strange, I've been vegan for YEARS, so it's not the meat or milk I'm missing. I don't know how to explain it. Did any one go through this?? How do you deal with it without ballooning up?
~ Live simply so that others may simply live. ~
veganruthie

Re: Hungry

Postby Heart4Animals » Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:27 am

veganruthie wrote:I know this is kind of silly... but why am I sooooooooo hungry?

Hi Ruthie - I would say, eat till you are full :-) But not on the bread, because the calories in it (from being more processed) are too concentrated. Potatos would be a better choice. Or maybe try getting full by adding in more of the non-starch vegetables, that would be even better :-) I think the feeling of fullness is different in McD'ing than it is when we eat fat in our meals - so probably once your body gets used to that difference, you'll feel full after a more reasonable amount of food.

Tricia (H4A)
Animals leave pawprints on your heart.
Heart4Animals

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:45 am

When you are that hungry, try having a salad or other raw vegetables and dip, or something from the green/yellow vegetable group first. Like cabbage soup, maybe. THEN eat your potato or bowl of oatmeal.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:59 am

Potatoes seem to usually do the trick for me :-D I feel full after eating them and it stays for a while. I always have food prepared so that I have no excuse to be bad, it is also helpful when not everyone in the family is eating the same as you, you can just grab something and eat it. :-D Does this just happen just at night :?: Maybe you can read or find something to occupy your mind and hands so you are not always thinking about food. Are you eating enough :?: Sorry for all the questions.
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Yes..

Postby veganruthie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:12 am

I *am* eating enough, more than enough. And it does only happen at night. I think you're right that I need to find something to occupy my mind other than food. It's probably a lot of boredom eating. I also think its a diff type of fullness that I'll get used to. I think I'll keep some potatoes and carrot sticks ready-to-go in the fridge from now on. I think it would also help if I planned my meals, a lot of times I think I get nervous about what/when I'm going to eat next, so planning will help. :)

Thanks you guys, you're really great! I'll keep you updated!
Ruthie
veganruthie

Postby Mrs. Doodlepunk » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:11 am

Ruthie, do you knit? I do, and find it works for me to knit when I feel like I'm bored and want to eat.
It IS the food! :unibrow:
(... do these earrings make my butt look big?)
Mrs. Doodlepunk

Postby noodle » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:52 am

Veganruthie - I tend to be a boredom eater too. I'm a stay at home mom who does homeschooling at the kitchen table. so it's very tempting for me to be constantly nibbling.

One thing I try and do is drink ALOT of water during the day. This seems to help me. Also I agree with what Mrs. Doodlepunk has said. I try and eat alot of raw vegetables with humus dip ( I make it with shredded carrot to replace the tahini). Raw vegetables and fruit have lots of fiber or bulk that makes me feel full. And finding a hobby to occupy your mind is a good strategy. I knit, read, or go clean something if I'm feeling bored.

I hope some of this helps and made some sense!

Take care.
noodle

Thanks!

Postby veganruthie » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:14 pm

Those are great ideas. I had another one today too while walking home.

Sometimes I don't like carrot sticks. But since I'm working part time now, when I'm at home I can eat any vegetable I want! That means I can steam up a bowl of broccoli or green beans with some ff italian dressing if I get hungry. YUM! I always get scared by the.. "if you're hungry, eat" rule, but this makes it a lot more easy.

I do knit! And I also love to do home making stuff. I make my own soy milk and rice milk and hope to start hanging my own laundry. I also love to read, and rarely snack while reading.
veganruthie

Everyone does at first

Postby Mallow » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:38 pm

Hi Ruthie,

When I attended the live-in program at McDougall's Santa Rosa center, EVERYONE ate a lot the first few days. Plates piled high with food, maybe 2 or 3 plates per meal!

After a week, though, most people went down to a normal amount of food. We still lost weight, even while eating gargantuan portions, because we were all on the MWL program, and it seemed like most of our dishes involved potatoes.

--Sandy
Mallow

When I'm bored . . .

Postby PattyC » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:38 pm

and want to eat, I find that crunch or fried takes care of it. That would be: popcorn (big bowl) or cooked potatoes that I brown in a teflon pan and dunk in a catsup/mustard mix, and my new one is to take my allotted fruit, one apple and one banana, dice them, add celery and about 1Tbs of chopped walnuts and drizzle a TINY bit of honey on it. I "crunch" for about a half hour with this and I feel like I'm having a treat.

I also try to eat potatoes at every meal, either sweet or white. Those keep me from doing "bad" things. The popcorn is my new 3:00 in the afternoon beat the munchies food.

It's hard for me to feel satisfied on veggies for munchies so I have to find other things. I do eat plenty of veggies at meals.

I also agree with the others about staying active - quilting does that for me. After all, I can't get food gunk on my beautiful fabrics! :-D
Pat

PattyC

Postby BuffyS » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:08 pm

Ruthie, This happens to me all the time when I have fallen off the wagon and start back up. It seems like at night I am the hungriest. If I do not eat a big meal at dinner and go to bed pretty quick I have to eat what my family calls "second dinner"!! I try to make sure I have something quick I can make or microwave McDougall prepackaged stuff. But I am hungry all the time. When I get the munchies I usually eat bean dip & tortilla chips mcdougall friendly of cours with salsa that usually takes care of salt cravings too! But I have always had to eat every 3-4 hrs. Make sure you are drinking lots of water too.
BuffyS

Postby Donna R » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:49 am

Good ideas, everyone!

Ruthie, we've talked about rice milk before. never sure how to make it so it would taste good. would you post your recipe to the recipe section?

thanks!
~ Donna
Donna R

Brush your teeth!

Postby LoriM » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:17 am

I've always found another good way to diminish my appetite is to brush my teeth, and even give them a good floss. Sometimes while I'm at it, I give myself a facial. GRIN. But a nice clean mouth followed by a glass of ice water keeps snacking at bay in the evenings.

Lori
A statistician is someone who is skilled at drawing a precise line from an unwarranted assumption to a foregone conclusion.
LoriM

Actually...

Postby veganruthie » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:39 am

I use my SoyQuick Soy Milk maker. :)
veganruthie

Postby MountainLady » Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:29 pm

Maybe what you're experienceing isn't really hunger. It may just be nerves or even thirst. Drink lots of liquids and get out there and get some exericise.
MountainLady

Return to The Lounge