Adding more fresh Vegetables?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Adding more fresh Vegetables?

Postby Mama Owl » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:56 am

I recently watched one of Dr McDougalls shows with Jack Lelane(sp?) where he said he eats 8 fresh veggies per day. I realized that, Im not eating enough fresh veggies.

I was wondering if he meant 8 whole veggies or 8 portions *such as in a salad*?

Then I got to wondering what I could do to get myself to that point.

I tend to go for the starchy cooked foods! Our salad intake has diminished since the spinache scare. In fact, I have not yet purchased any.

Does anyone have a good source for raw foods recipes?

I dont want to simply have a salad for each meal...but I want variety. the veggies I usually have onhand to eat raw would include, cucumbers, onions, green onions(which I do eat raw almost daily), carrots.......I also keep mushrooms on hand(but I reallize they are a fungi, not a veggie so Im not sure how they rate in this mess).

We also keep Jalapenos and other hot peppers available. I eat them with most meals...either raw or cooked.

some ideas Please?

Donna
Pray the Rosary for Peace and the End of Abortion!

http://www.dtovarspecialties.com

Catholic Homeschoolers Rule! LOL!
Mama Owl

Postby victw » Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:48 am

Think seasonally. This will help get some diversity into your salad bowl.

I will be experimenting with turnip greens today. I bought a bunch of turnips at the farmers market. We ate them raw. I chopped the greens off the day I bought them - and put them in the salad spinner. Peeled the turnips - chopped them up and ate them raw in salads. Kept thinking I would steam one - but it was easier to eat raw. They weren't my favorite - too much like a radish - but the boyfriend really liked them.

The greens are strong raw. Too strong for me. I will be cooking them or put them in a soup.

Other favorites are kohlrabi and beets. You can also eat the beet greens.

For greens - chard is easy to grow. I only eat the baby leaves in salad. I cook the larger leaves in any recipe where I used to put spinach.

There are many others - I'm only scratching the surface.

Even with only a balcony - most anyone could grow salad fixins. You have land - anything you grow fresh will taste better than what you buy. Start with a small 4x4 square.

Vicki
victw

Hi Mama Owl ....

Postby Sunny » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:20 am

I saw that one two ~~~ not sure either, I think it was 8 fresh veggies a day, I think I still have that one, I will have to watch it again. :)

I just Love Jack LaLane, I remember as a kid doing jumping jacks with him.
All the Best,
Sunny
MWL 99.9% 12 Day .1 % Always McDougall
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sunny

Return to The Lounge