Playing Doctor?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Playing Doctor?

Postby shell-belle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:41 pm

What is the bone density of your 95 year old aunt? What's her vitamin D level? Has she had it tested? How is her general health? Does she get colds or the flu?
Just because one woman made it to age 95 without taking vitamin D proves nothing.
shell-belle

Postby Ginger » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:41 am

I think that one of the reasons Vit D seems to be big issue these days is because our lifestyles have changed. Most kids no longer play outside, indoor entertainment is much more available, people go to gyms to exercise (well, some do - others just go home and turn on the tv) Time spent outdoors is often just time to hurry and get from one place to another. So many people live in closed up houses, go to their closed up cars, shop in closed up malls and work in closed up offices.
My life growing up was completely different from what I see now. I was constantly outside and had to be dragged in for meals, school and bed. As an adult I was into gardening, animals, outdoor projects. If anything, I have probably gotten too much sun.
Ginger

Postby patty » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:01 am

stoumi wrote:
He seemed disappointed that I was healthy and that my cholresterol level had gone down. He got very argumentative about the risk of taking anti chloresterol drugs which I didnt need anyway. He was offended when I asked ihow well he knew another doctor he was recomending for a different procedure.

He set up a second unnecessary appointment at additional cost to both me and the insurance company. He prescribed expensive pills for my " vitamin D deficiency " when just somce sunshine and over the counter pills did the trick as evidenced by my next exam a year later by another doctor.

Very unpleasant, hard to talk to, obnoxious. !!!

I chose not to take Vitamin D. Will my perception change in the future I don't know. The only supplement I take is Vitamin B12. One thing I have learned is we are never upset for the reason we think we are. Collectively with this WOE, we are in a state of growth body, mind and socially. We live in the best labs there are. Each of us is a community of cells were each cell can only do one thing at a time: grow or protect. They depend on our perception.

What is exciting about this WOE, is when understanding calorie density, our subconscious doing all the work for us as it knows how much weight of food we need to eat daily. All we have to do is eat low calorie density foods. Food is like air and water. We become Time Rich:) Being starchcentered the universe now feels like a very friendly/supporting place. How much do we need, when we can live on less than 3 dollars a day? We will always have many wants, but our needs are always taken care.

Jeff Novick shares the higher density foods are the ones that are easy to overeat. The three things that impact a cell: toxins, trauma and thoughts. There is a natural law all nature knows, when the population's food supply increases, the population increases, when the population increases, the population's food supply decreases. The interaction between the two is what keeps everything in balance. As Einstein shares some problems can't be solved at the level of thinking we were at when we created them. Doctors joke among themselves, nature heals and we send the bill. Forgiveness collapses time, when we disengage from our social pathogen thoughts that shifts us into a fight or flight response. Knowledge is power, self knowledge is self empowerment. We are waking up:)

This is from Dr. Esselstyn's "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease":
What I am proposing would require revolutionary changes in the world of medicine. My father used to observe that as long as medicine was practiced on a fee-for-service piecework basis, comprehensive preventive medicine would never become the driving force in a physician’s life. He was right. As I argued in Chapter 1, there are now no incentives built into the system to encourage the public to adopt healthier lifestyles. I once asked a young interventional cardiologist why he didn’t refer his patients for a nutrition program that could arrest and reverse their disease, and he replied with a frank question: “Did you know that my billed charges last year were over five million dollars?”

This has to change. The collective will and conscience of my profession is being tested as never before. Now is the time for legendary work. Those of us who practice medicine must engage in a new covenant with the public. We must never underestimate the layman’s ability to adopt healthier lifestyles. We must tell the truth. We must relinquish the procedural focus of medicine and take pride in prevention. We must rejoice in conveying knowledge that empowers individuals to take control of their own health.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am

If your D is low it's b/c you're indoors all the time! Get out in the sun (without sunscreen) for at least an hour or so a day and that will take care of the D needs of 99% of of the population.
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

Postby stoumi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:22 am

The simple solution...LOL, thanks ETeselle. Now that I sit and think about it, you are right much more time, especially during winter I spend inside. I am not outside on my days off or after I get off work, doing house or yard projects. 8-10 hours a day I am coupled up in a darkened room, low lit with no windows. Although I have been trying to get out and walk, while at work for 30 minutes to get me some exercise and some sun, but that isn't always possible.
stoumi

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:35 am

ETeSelle wrote:Get out in the sun (without sunscreen) for at least an hour or so a day and that will take care of the D needs of 99% of of the population.

Maybe. Maybe not...
[url]http://jcem.endojournals.org/content/92/6/2130.abstract
[/url]
ENDOCRINE CARE
Low Vitamin D Status despite Abundant Sun Exposure
N. Binkley, R. Novotny, D. Krueger, T. Kawahara, Y. G. Daida, G. Lensmeyer, B. W. Hollis and M. K. Drezner
- Author Affiliations

University of Wisconsin Osteoporosis Clinical Research Program (N.B., D.K., T.K., M.K.D.), Madison, Wisconsin 53705; Human Nutrition, Food and Animal Sciences (R.N., Y.G.D.), University of Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii 96822; Laboratory Medicine (G.L.), University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin 53792; and Medical University of South Carolina (B.W.H.), Charleston, South Carolina 29425
GeoffreyLevens

Postby megs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:32 am

ETeSelle wrote:If your D is low it's b/c you're indoors all the time! Get out in the sun (without sunscreen) for at least an hour or so a day and that will take care of the D needs of 99% of of the population.

.....Unless you happen to live in Michigan where the sun seems to only shine about 1% of the time this time of the year. :lol:
megs

Postby Kiki » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 pm

megs wrote:
ETeSelle wrote:If your D is low it's b/c you're indoors all the time! Get out in the sun (without sunscreen) for at least an hour or so a day and that will take care of the D needs of 99% of of the population.

.....Unless you happen to live in Michigan where the sun seems to only shine about 1% of the time this time of the year. :lol:

Or you're not white (like 25+% of the US). Or you have a chronic disease like cancer, which is associated with very low D. Or you have religious restrictions on clothing. Or....

Osteomalacia is really painful, and damage can be done before you ever start to feel it. Vit D deficiency is no joke and not to be dismissed. There's so much that happens to your body before you get to this stage.
Kiki

Postby didi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:28 am

almost 45 years ago when I was pregnant with my first baby and attending childbirth ed classes, an obstetrician from Jefferson University Hospital in Philly spoke to our class and told us we were purchasers of medical care, just like we were purchasers of other things. If we weren't satisfied we had the right to speak up about it, request a change or go to another "store" or buy another "product". That was one of the biggest favors anyone ever did for me.

Unfortunately the specter of some kind of health care program like they have in socialized medicine countries makes me afraid that, as in some of those places, my choices will be very limited. I seem to remember with Hillary Clinton's health care plan (remember the broo ha ha?) you would not be allowed to go outside the system.

Didi
didi

Postby didi » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:48 am

Does the FDA know what it is doing?

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-na-fda ... 1739.story

who is guarding the guardians?
didi

Previous

Return to The Lounge