The word "vegan"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The word "vegan"

Postby Debbie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:53 am

Why do we have to have a label at all? I didn't call it the standard American diet or SAD when I ate it.
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby TerriT » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:54 am

JeffN wrote:For those who missed it, they may enjoy this thread and option 21. :)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16395&p=149495

Love it!
TerriT

Postby Lesliec1 » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:57 am

Theodore wrote:I can't let this thread die without pointing out how sick it is that someone on this forum would try and twist another member's words like that. Here's what I actually said:

Theodore wrote:Some people here simply do not want to be associated with the rather large number of preachy, grease-fuelled cupcake pushers who currently populate the vegan movement.

I don't think she twisted anything. Your original statement is highly offensive. Not sure how to explain it. Maybe if you substitute the word "vegan" with another minority you will see how offensive it is. Try "black" or "Christian" or "fat people" and see how it reads.
Lesliec1

Postby ladder_addict » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:00 am

Another classic post from Jeff Novick.

Veggylvr check the link.

Item 21.
Michael
ladder_addict

Postby veggylvr » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:33 am

lol. Maybe McVegan will catch on. We can try.
veggylvr

Postby EvanG » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:12 pm

I understand that the original post was a joke, but the Mc part of McVegan would be associated with McDonalds and McMansions. I think at this point it means fake as in fake food or fake mansion. The McDougall M logo is too close to the McDonalds M as it is.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Postby Debbie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:52 pm

EvanG wrote:I understand that the original post was a joke, but the Mc part of McVegan would be associated with McDonalds and McMansions. I think at this point it means fake as in fake food or fake mansion. The McDougall M logo is too close to the McDonalds M as it is.

I heard somewhere that McDonalds isnt happy with the new McDougall tshirts with the logo. Cause Dr. M's M logo is so easy to confuse with McDonalds bright yellow logo. :roll:
Debbie

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:06 pm

When I first Dr McDougall on the radio, if he would have presented this as Vegan, I would not have found this web site or bought his book.

If this WOE did not include the concept of feasts or eating off program, I doubt if I would have had the same results that I have had so far.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Debbie » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:
Theodore wrote:I can't let this thread die without pointing out how sick it is that someone on this forum would try and twist another member's words like that. Here's what I actually said:

Theodore wrote:Some people here simply do not want to be associated with the rather large number of preachy, grease-fuelled cupcake pushers who currently populate the vegan movement.

I don't think she twisted anything. Your original statement is highly offensive. Not sure how to explain it. Maybe if you substitute the word "vegan" with another minority you will see how offensive it is. Try "black" or "Christian" or "fat people" and see how it reads.

grease-fuelled cupcake pushers who currently populate the black movement.

grease-fuelled cupcake pushers who currently populate the Christian movement.

grease-fuelled cupcake pushers who currently populate the fat people movement.

Im just not seeing the offensive in this. Unless I guess it towards the fat people movement pushing cupcakes.

I think maybe we're reading too much into this. Its often been said that anyone can find something to be offended about. That seems true here too. Ive been guilty of that a time or two as well. We can find offense in everything if we're looking to be offended.
Debbie

Postby dstewart » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:01 pm

"Vegan" is a made-up word with no etymology. It's like "Enron," "Plaxo," and other brand names that have only the most tenuous root to their subject matter. But when originated, it did not refer to abstaining from the use of all animal products; it still is not meant that way by at least a large proportion of both the public and people who call themselves "vegan." It was just meant to distinguish those vegetarians who still ate dairy and egg from a group of vegetarians who did not eat those.

I'm a plantivore.
dstewart

Postby Jordy Verrill » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:43 pm

I don't understand why anyone feels the need to put a label on the food that they eat unless they have some type of agenda. If someone asks me how I've lost weight, I just simply say that I've been eating healthier. If they ask further, I say I eat a lot of rice and veggie type meals and avoid added fats and overly processed foods. If they continue to ask further, I tell them to check out the McDougall website or look at his books. I feel zero need to have some kind of label on the way I eat.
Jordy Verrill

Postby Salley » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:56 pm

Jordy Verrill wrote:I don't understand why anyone feels the need to put a label on the food that they eat unless they have some type of agenda.

So what sort of agenda do you think is behind the items labelled vegan, like the McDougall foods, in the grocery store exactly? Also, what sort of agenda do you suppose the people that see what I'm eating and say, "oh, I see you eat vegan" have? When people label a meal at a potluck 'vegan', what sort of agenda do you believe they had in mind? Personally I have never met anyone that called food vegan to have any sort of agenda besides one of greater clarity... on the other hand I have known some to specifically label their foods as dairy free, egg free vegetarian rather than the commonly used vegan term to identify the same thing with an agenda in mind, specifically to avoid scaring off closed-minded folks.
Salley

Postby Salley » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:58 pm

dstewart wrote:I'm a plantivore.

Someone here created the username 'carbivore'... I loved that one!
Salley

Postby Mober » Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:59 pm

Typical holiday dinner:

"Are you sure you don't want some of this?"

"No thanks, I am trying to watch what I eat these days."

"You can have the eggs right, they are good for you you know."

"You know I have never been a big fan of eggs, thanks though"

"Do you want some turkey? I have some sliced turkey in the fridge. I can make a sandwich"

"Thats OK thanks, I am fine with this. I'll pass."

"But its hardly anything at all!"

" I snacked some before hand too. I had a bunch of fruit. The oranges were really good. Really I am good, maybe a leftover plate later."

"OK then ... I made some chococlate cake. Do you want dessert?"
Mober

Postby Salley » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:20 pm

Debbie wrote:I think what youre missing is, even if I don't label myself but my meal vegan, it confuses people. I've said my food is vegan then had people question why I was wearing leather shoes or use dove soap or whatever. They also shut down. They don't want to hear it. Period. To them it is an agenda.

Debbie, I do understand this and it makes sense in the context of advocating for healthier eating in general as Jeff discussed, however I personally feel there are better ways to approach that issue in particular as LoriLynn discussed, besides which if someone knows you well enough to know what kind of soap you use I can't imagine they would really be that confused, would they? I think they are probably just trying to goad you at that point.
Salley

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge