The word "vegan"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The word "vegan"

Postby Wild4Stars » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:22 pm

Lesliec1 wrote:Forgive me for seeming rude but I'm not going to answer anyone any more or this will go on forever.

Thank you.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Theodore » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Wild4Stars wrote:I'm going back to the friendly, supportive group on facebook.

No-one leaves this forum without Dr McDougall's say so. Especially you, Vikki.
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:35 pm

ww.vegansociety.com/news/Vegan-Cupcakes-Take-Over-Parliament.aspx

Vegan Cupcakes Take Over Parliament

Can ‘a little of what you fancy’ help to tackle global health crises? MP Kerry McCarthy is inviting fellow MPs to chew on the plant-based solutions to obesity and hunger on World Vegan Day. MPs will also enjoy delicious vegan cupcakes from award-winning baker, Ms Cupcake on that day, Tuesday 1 November.

Kerry McCarthy MP said today, “I am delighted to be hosting this parliamentary event for World Vegan Day. I’ve been vegan for 20 years, and last year I was joined in parliament by two more vegan MPs; we’ve been told we’re the largest vegan caucus in the world! This event provides a great opportunity to raise with other MPs and parliamentary staff issues such as the impact of the livestock industry on global food security and the environment, and the benefits of a vegan diet. And maybe we’ll be able to persuade a few more to try turning vegan too.”

Vegan Society CEO, Jasmijn de Boo said today, “We are very pleased to be able to introduce delicious, locally made vegan cupcakes to MPs. As a ‘first’ for Parliament, there will also be tasty vegan dishes offered in each of the four Westminster restaurants every day during the week of World Vegan Day. Appealing, nutritious vegan food offers a powerful route to tackling current global crises. Plant-based diets and stock-free agriculture can help solve the deeply inter-connected problems of global climate change and global hunger, as well as obesity in the UK.”

Mellissa Morgan, Ms Cupcake, said today, “I'm excited to see more and more people embracing vegan food and lifestyles! Our first 'Ms. Cupcake' shop - London's first entirely vegan bakery - is going from strength to strength. The Baking Industry Awards recognised us as their 'Rising Star of the Year' and we've been chosen as a 2012 Olympic Games supplier. It's so encouraging that the British public are adopting compassionate behaviours which do less damage to the world. Ms. Cupcake is honoured to be a part of World Vegan Day at Parliament this year.”

Kerry McCarthy MP has requested an adjournment debate on World Vegan Day debate in the House of Commons on Tuesday 1 November. If successful, the debate will focus on the role of plant-based diets and stock-free agriculture in tackling hunger, obesity and global climate change.
Last edited by Theodore on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Theodore

Postby janluvs2heel » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:26 pm

JohnLarson wrote:
Wild4Stars wrote:I've been away from the McDougall forums for awhile and now I remember why. I'm going back to the friendly, supportive group on facebook.

There is a Facebook group?

There is a FB group, I saw that you are on it now. The only problem I have with it is all they talk about is food, at least 90% of the time. I am just not that much into cooking so not that interested in recipes, etc. But it is friendly & only on occasion have there been tiffs. But they are few & far between. I meant to pick up what John Larson said, not Vikki. Oh, well, once again the quote thing does not work on my computer. Hope someone does not see it. :eek:
Jan
janluvs2heel

Postby Conz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:30 am

Theodore wrote:
Salley wrote:
Theodore wrote:1)
Perhaps the phrase "vegan no-oil, yes-honey" would be more appropriate.

The thing is, that doesn't adequately convey the fact that we're aiming for whole grains. And it actually makes it sound like we're coming onto the person we're talking to.

Plus there's still the problem that, however you dress it up, the word "vegan" does not adequately convey the fact that we come from planet earth.

No. It is not appropriate at all. Yes to vegan and yes to honey does not make any sense. It is because of confusing talk like this that my lifestyle is not taken seriously by anyone.
Conz

Postby Conz » Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:37 am

Vegan Hunter wrote:But..... Vegan cupcakes ARE greasy!

And.... Many vegans ARE preachy!

So what? This is much ado about nothing.

When I started this WOE, I was the most opinionated, preachy person I know! It took awhile, but a 100 or so rolled eyes and glazed over looks later, I realized it was time to put the megaphone and the vegan bible down. Way I see it, if you are preachy and someone calls you preachy, and you get offended by it, it's time to look in the mirror.

I remember my first Vegan cupcake. My first thought was ,"Wow! this cupcake is oily!" My second thought was, "This cupcake is REALLY oily!" :D

My cupcakes are not oily (but they are crap to be fair!)

Any my boyfriend works for the Vegan society, and is the least preachy vegan ever!
Conz

Postby Vegan Hunter » Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:07 am

Lesliec1 wrote:Forgive me for seeming rude but I'm not going to answer anyone any more or this will go on forever.

Bye.

Here is a rhyme from childhood that seems pertinent.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me!

Merry Christmas!
There are three kinds of people in this world. Those that are good at math, and those that aren't.
Vegan Hunter

Postby Thrasymachus » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:57 pm

It is funny that his followers are so into vegan bashing, when this is his stance
Dr. John McDougall wrote:The Fat Vegan

... People who have declared themselves “vegan,” have said “no” to eating all animal-derived foods. At extraordinary personal costs, many of these guardians labor tirelessly to protect the welfare of all animals. Fat vegans, however, have failed one important animal: themselves. Furthermore, their audiences of meat-eaters and animal-abusers may be so distracted by their appearance that they cannot hear the vital issues of animal rights and the environment; resulting in an unacknowledged setback for a fat vegan’s hard work for change.

Which is most compassionate, he just feels many vegans due to their ignorance of unhealthy plant foods, don't do themselves or those around them justice.

He felt the need to respond to this hit piece:
Response to NY Times Story: Death by Veganism

Youtube: Is Dr. McDougall just a Low Fat Vegan?
He says in that video that it is best to call his diet starchivore and that you can call it vegan if you want, but that it does not describe it fully.

The people who are so anti-vegan likely could easily be swayed by other diets that are very unhealthy like Paleo, which is probably the most unhealthy diet out there. The vegan community has found over its history that those interested in plant foods just out of touted health benefits easily exit the paradigm, because other diets tout health benefits, and because when things get hard, they will just adopt those other diets. Even the vegans who are not interested in health, tend to be much healthier than the average American adult who needs 4.1 medications to manage all the animal products and other unhealthy items they consume.
Thrasymachus

Postby Theodore » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:31 pm

Thrasymachus wrote:The vegan community has found over its history that those interested in plant foods just out of touted health benefits easily exit the paradigm, because other diets tout health benefits, and because when things get hard, they will just adopt those other diets.

I'm aware of the claim, but I'm not aware of any evidence to back it up.

Thrasymachus wrote:The people who are so anti-vegan likely could easily be swayed by other diets that are very unhealthy like Paleo, which is probably the most unhealthy diet out there.

I'm not entirely sure of the point that you're making here, but just out of interest, what do you suppose it is that makes people so anti-vegan ?
Theodore

Postby Wild4Stars » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:35 pm

Theodore - you absolutely HAVE to quit reading my mind !!
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Debbie » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:59 pm

Wild4Stars wrote:Theodore - you absolutely HAVE to quit reading my mind !!

Its like voodoo, huh??? :lol:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Wild4Stars » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:25 pm

Debbie wrote:
Wild4Stars wrote:Theodore - you absolutely HAVE to quit reading my mind !!

Its like voodoo, huh??? :lol:

Exactly !!
Wild4Stars

Postby JohnLarson » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:36 pm

I find the term "fat vegan" offensive.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby f1jim » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm not exactly sure why something so exact in it's description would be offensive but be sure to write Dr. McDougall a note telling him you find it offensive. My goodness we are all a bit sensitive these days.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby BlueHeron » Sat Dec 22, 2012 4:40 pm

JohnLarson wrote:I find the term "fat vegan" offensive.

Good luck with getting more than a few people here to care. I've tried and just accepted that it's something I'm going to have to live with.

Dr. McDougall has been using the term for quite a while. I'm sure he knows some people think it's offensive. I believe he is a compassionate and thoughtful man. I won't try to guess his reasons - I'm sure he has them - but it's pretty clear he's decided it's OK.
BlueHeron

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge