The word "vegan"

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: The word "vegan"

Postby EvanG » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:12 am

@THEodoRE
There's just no there there.
Vegan is made up. So is vegetarian. So is starchivore. So is any other word, for that matter. Many words are derived from other words, as is vegan or starchivore.
Interestingly, vegan is the first 3 and last 2 of vegetarian, meaning the beginning and end of vegetarian. It also appears to be made up of veg and an. Veg is short for vegetable, derived from vegetus. The suffix an is used to denote a person, e.g. artisan, guardian, historian, magician, or vegetarian. So, a vegan is a person who partakes in veggies.
To me, it seems like a very appropriate word to describe someone who eats veggies, either exclusively or mostly.
We live in a world where words derive meaning based on how they are used. Clearly there is some debate about the 'correct' meaning of vegan.

I think that starchivore is a good way of self-describing, because it is provocative and to the point. For ordering at a restaurant, we just have to find the way that works for us. I approach every restaurant differently depending on my mood and the nature of the restaurant.
I find vegan a quick way to get 50% of the diet across, but many people just hear vegan, and classify you accordingly. They then stop listening, and that puts you in a tough position.
-----
Started in June 2012 at 39
Lost 25 lbs. Feel great.
EvanG

Postby veggylvr » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:55 am

Great idea, let's all speak French, so people can think we're even more stuck up and whacky! "I'm sorry, I'm definitely NOT a vegan..or plant-based...I'm a 'végétalien'." Sniff sniff.

Really, this is so much overthinking....and devisiveness. It's a simple word that has come to mean pretty close to how we eat. Closer than "plant-based", I agree. That could have so many meanings...that you base your meal on greens but allow a little slice of steak, for instance.

I've read there's a new term - "flexitarian" - for people who want to be mostly vegetarian but sometimes eat meat, which, as far as I'm concerned, is just not being vegetarian.

And the fact that a vegan doesn't feel comfortable here is kind of disturbing. It's like so many are trying to set themselves apart rather than promote cohesiveness. There's no way we can sell this WOE to a larger audience if we insist on dividing up into little groups and using different names.

How about "Forks Over Knives eaters" or "little FOKers" for short? :lol:
veggylvr

Postby Debbie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:06 am

veggylvr wrote:
How about "Forks Over Knives eaters" or "little FOKers" for short? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby nonyabizz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:10 am

*snort*
Peace:)

Tom
nonyabizz

Postby Theodore » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:21 pm

Has someone already suggested "Starchan" ?
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby fulenn » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:57 pm

rickfm wrote:Not of this world. Yup, that's probably how a lot of people view vegans.

I've always thought that "vegan" would fit in with the Star Trek universe.

Valerians, Vorgons, Vulcans, Vegans.

LOL!!!

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby BlueHeron » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 pm

FYI: "Vegetarian" doesn't derive from "vegetable." It derives from "vegetus," which means lively or vigorous.

Having recently gotten into a discussion on animal rights on this board, I'm not at all surprised that someone who identifies as an ethical vegan wouldn't feel comfortable here (though I know some here do identify as such). I seriously thought of dropping out over it myself - but decided to consider it an off-limit topic for me instead.
BlueHeron

Postby Elvin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:04 am

BlueHeron wrote:FYI: "Vegetarian" doesn't derive from "vegetable." It derives from "vegetus," which means lively or vigorous.

from http://www.etymonline.com :

vegetable (adj.)
c.1400, "living and growing as a plant," from O.Fr. vegetable "living, fit to live," from M.L. vegetabilis "growing, flourishing," from L.L. vegetabilis "animating, enlivening," from L. vegetare "to enliven," from vegetus "vigorous, active," from vegere "to be alive, active, to quicken," from PIE *weg- "be strong, lively," related to watch (v.), vigor, velocity, and possibly witch (see vigil). The meaning "resembling that of a vegetable, dull, uneventful" is attested from 1854 (see vegetable (n.)).

vegetarian (n.)
1839, irregular formation from vegetable (n.) + -arian, as in agrarian, etc. "The general use of the word appears to have been largely due to the formation of the Vegetarian Society in Ramsgate in 1847" [OED].
Elvin

Postby Katydid » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:59 am

While looking up vegan resolutions for a different post, I came across the following blog:

My New Year's Resolution: No Longer Vegan

http://www.thevegetariansite.com/ed_nolonger.htm

The explanation that this committed vegan gives for why she will no longer use that term is, I think, typical of how many have come to view vegans - and this is by someone on the inside of the movement.

Is it true? Maybe not. But it was true for her and it matches my experience.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Wild4Stars » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:07 am

Katydid wrote:While looking up vegan resolutions for a different post, I came across the following blog:

My New Year's Resolution: No Longer Vegan

http://www.thevegetariansite.com/ed_nolonger.htm

The explanation that this committed vegan gives for why she will no longer use that term is, I think, typical of how many have come to view vegans - and this is by someone on the inside of the movement.

Is it true? Maybe not. But it was true for her and it matches my experience.

Kate

Thanks for sharing this. It says it perfectly and the fact that it comes from someone like her makes it even more meaningful. It's pretty much how I feel.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

Postby Thrasymachus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:19 am

Norm wrote: I've known probably a dozen vegans over the years, including the ones I know now. All of them ate/eat an abundance of overly processed foods and junk foods. ...

That sounds even less plausible. To have known a dozen vegans implies a huge social network, which is what Americans lack. Out of every 100 people you meet, likely only one will be of the tiny vegan minority, which implies a social network of 120 or more people, which is fantastic hyperbole in the American context. Another things Americans tend to do is barely eat meals together with their own family, let alone friends and acquaintances. So it makes it hard to believe when you act like an expert on the diet of vegans because of 12 vegans you say you know, because most Americans don't have large social networks, and even if they do they are shallow, and you likely wouldn't know what all of them ate. Rather I think this is the case of jumping on the vegan bashing bandwagon and meme seen often on this forum, which is particularly strong in this thread.
Thrasymachus

Postby veggylvr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:38 am

When asked about my food choices, I will say that I choose to live a compassionate lifestyle to the best of my ability.

I get where's she's coming from, but, to me, that statement sounds even more morally superior...without also providing any practical detail that would help a host or waitress know what/how to feed her.

The thing with labels is that they hardly ever fully define us. We may be registered Republican or Democrat, but our views on specific topics often vary from what others associate with those terms. So, in a practical sense, a label is just short-hand. It's a quick reference point. If someone wants to know more about you as an individual, you can share all the nuances of your belief system.

I certainly despise the morally superior hypocrits that inhabit my political party, but I'm not going to surrender the label to them. That will only make things worse.
veggylvr

Postby JohnLarson » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:17 am

Katydid, thanks for the link. Very interesting read there.

There was a South Park episode where people were buying hybrid cars and it was creating smug pollution. I am guessing there is an element of smugness in some Vegan circles. Just guessing because I am not in any of those circles. It was nice seeing an inside view.

I think Vegans have a definite image issue that makes it hard for people on the outside to understand what being a Vegan means. Seems to me people on the inside disagree also.

The longer this thread lives, the more I understand why this WOE is not described as Vegan.

My Current Journal

My First Journal

The McDougall Program is not a "diet," and it was not designed primarily for weight loss – however, loss of excess body fat naturally results as people regain their health. - Dr. John McDougall
JohnLarson

Postby Thrasymachus » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:24 am

@katydid:

That is the opposite of what the world needs, to not offend the most selfish and easily offended people in society. Most vegans are not that militant, that is an article based on hearsay. Vegans live and survive amongst a majority of non-vegans. This society we live in imperialist, greed based and selfish and something has to be done about it, veganism is just a small first step. Another thing I haven't done lately is use a car, choosing to go car free. Alot of times drivers are plain rude to bicyclists, especially in summer months, you will get drivers just honking to signal to you to get off the road, or jackass youths yelling at you loudly out the window to startle you.

So should I stop bicycling also to not offend people in a country where the average adult person weighs as much as one and a half grown adults should and takes over 4 medications? Most people clearly need to change who they are, they are not only victimizing animals, but all their family and friends who will encouraged by their bad lifestyle and diet to have chronic and debilitating disease, the nurses and staff who will have to clean out their bedpans and sponge bathe them when they age horribly and become infantilized, etc. This whole not offending people meme is nonsense. The median person today, is quite selfish and has no problems offending anyone who does something more progressive by example like veganism and going car-free by cycling. What you are doing is flipping the buck, aiming derision against the more progressive elements in society.

Lets face the facts:
You can be the nicest person you can be or you can afford a Ferrari. Who will most people choose to know? The answer is too obvious and a sobering indictment against our society. The more resources and wealth you consume and show outwardly, the more coveted you will be.
Thrasymachus

Postby Wild4Stars » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:16 am

Thrasymachus wrote:
Norm wrote: I've known probably a dozen vegans over the years, including the ones I know now. All of them ate/eat an abundance of overly processed foods and junk foods. ...

That sounds even less plausible. To have known a dozen vegans implies a huge social network, which is what Americans lack. Out of every 100 people you meet, likely only one will be of the tiny vegan minority, which implies a social network of 120 or more people, which is fantastic hyperbole in the American context. Another things Americans tend to do is barely eat meals together with their own family, let alone friends and acquaintances. So it makes it hard to believe when you act like an expert on the diet of vegans because of 12 vegans you say you know, because most Americans don't have large social networks, and even if they do they are shallow, and you likely wouldn't know what all of them ate. Rather I think this is the case of jumping on the vegan bashing bandwagon and meme seen often on this forum, which is particularly strong in this thread.

Seems to be making a lot of assumptions about Norm.
"If your lifestyle doesn't control your body, your body will eventually control your lifestyle." Ern Baxter
Wild4Stars

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge