A Vegan diet fails to prevent heart disease!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: A Vegan diet fails to prevent heart disease!

Postby f1jim » Sat May 11, 2013 9:38 am

Stay with it Norman. You are on the path to recovery and health.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby SecondHalf » Sun May 12, 2013 1:49 pm

Great job, Norman! Keep it up!
Me: Image

My husband: Image

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
SecondHalf

Postby PineappleTraci » Sun May 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Just want to comment that this post (esp. Jeff's comments) is 100% awesome and is the kind of thing I have to read over and over.

I think even very intelligent people are prone to flashes of stupidity (like the "But it's vegan!" argument).

If you guys knew how quickly I went through my last 32-oz bottle of ketchup, you'd stick me in the naughty corner, and make me write 100x: "Vegan does not equal healthy. Healthy equals healthy." (And ketchup, dumped grandly all over everything, *certainly* does not equal healthy!)

Did I mention I've been at this WOE for 13 months already? Quite the learning curve for some of us. Slow learners, unite! (Or, untie. Whichever you're in the mood for.) :)

Norman, am happy that you too got the message, and am looking forward to hearing about your awesomely improved health after you're at this for even longer!
PineappleTraci

Postby Norman » Wed May 22, 2013 2:32 pm

Update 5/22/13

My diet has been perfect Esselstyn for the last month.
Not perfect McDougall as I am eating about 5 fruits a day.
I lost 10 lbs the first 21 days and 2 lbs this week for a total of 12 lbs for the month. Could someone explain to me why 4 to 5 fruits is too much if I am still losing weight. The last week I have been putting Braggs Aminos on a lot of my food and have noticed my blood pressure going up with readings of 132/84 instead of 124/80. I must be salt sensitive so I am cutting out the salt. I drank a McDougall Green Onion soup yesterday than looked the label, 290 milligrams x 2 = 540mgs. There are two servings in a cup. Who doesn't eat the whole cup? That's off my diet now.

I had my cardiac stress test with echocardiogram today. I was able to get my heart rate up to 155 without chest pain. Ending speed 4.2mpg and 16% incline. I am 66 years old. Last month I got chest pain before the test was done. In a week the cardiologist will meet with me and give me the results. The bad part my blood pressure just before the stress test was 158/82. 10 minutes after the stress test it was 140/90. Blood sugar was 102 today. No Metformin for me! Both hands were going to sleep (numbness) at night when I was taking BP medicine. (Toperal) Now without BP medication the problem is gone. I am hoping with reduced salt the next week my BP will go down. I don't want the pressure from the cardiologist to go back on medication with perhaps a different med.

Norman

I
Norman

Postby f1jim » Wed May 22, 2013 2:47 pm

You are on the path Norman. Just keep walking.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby MangoMama » Wed May 22, 2013 3:51 pm

Great job sticking to your plan and taking off the pounds! Best wishes for your continued improvements in health.

MangoMama
MangoMama

Postby patty » Wed May 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Norman wrote: Could someone explain to me why 4 to 5 fruits is too much if I am still losing weight.

Sometimes when I have a question, I just go to the second orange menu bar and click the search button. It takes me to the Search McDougall.com forum and I place the question, say fruit in the Google or Yahoo slot. And some links to McDougalls pages will come up relating to my question of fruit.
This was the first on the page:

http://www.drmcdougall.com/free_4c.html

Fruits and Vegetables
Green and yellow vegetables are too low in calories to serve as the center of your meals, but can be added without restriction to your meals, particularly if you wish to lose more weight, faster. In general fruits should be limited to 3 servings a day. They are tasty, high in simple sugars and easy to over consume. The sugar in fruit is fructose, which causes triglycerides and cholesterol to rise too high in sensitive people. People with these concerns should limit fruits even more.

Familiar Fruits and Vegetables are too numerous to list. Try some of these unfamiliar ones.

Fruits:
carambola
papaya
cherimoya
persimmon
guava
pomegranate
kiwifruit
passion fruit
kumquat
pummelo
loquat
quince
lychee
soursop
mango

Vegetables:
aduki beans
jicama
arugula
kale
bok choy
kohlrabi
broccoli de rabe
radicchio
burdock
salsify
celeriac (celery root)
sprouts (alfalfa, lentil, mung bean, wheat)
chicory (curly endive)
Swiss chard
cocozelle
taro root
collard greens
turban squash
daikon
water chestnuts
endive
watercress
garbanzo beans (chick-peas)
Jerusalem artichoke (sunchoke)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So Happy to hear your update!! Good Luck with the doctor:) Remember you are the teacher and he is the student... as you know the answers come from a starch based lifestyle. You are living it:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby bbq » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:33 am

Buddhist Master Hsing Yun stable after acute stroke
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2016/11/03/2003658487
The 90-year-old Buddhist monk has a history of “the three highs” — high blood sugar, high blood pressure and high blood lipid — as well as heart disease and diabetes, and was hospitalized at the same hospital twice in 2011 for an ischemic stroke.

Typical results for a typical vegan diet, not exactly the best PR for such a venerable master?
bbq

Postby f1jim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 am

Hsing Yun in the photos I found online looks to be overweight, even obese. I wonder what diet he was following?
f1jim
f1jim

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:50 am

Almost certainly Master Hsing Yun just eats the vegan version of typical Chinese food i.e. lots of oil, lots of salt...
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Poison Ivy » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Did the OP ever return with future updates?
Poison Ivy

Postby indy107 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Wow. What a great story and an even more inspiration to stay on track.

With your permission, I'd like to copy it into a blog post and share it among the many Vegan/Plant Based Facebook Groups I belong to or admin. I could easily get this important information out to thousands of more people.

Please let me know. And I'm so glad you are doing better!
For tons of healthy Plant-Based, McDougall Friendly Recipes, check out my blog at :

https://www.brandnewvegan.com.
indy107

Postby Helpinghands » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:46 pm

It is my understanding that Dr. McDougall has changed his mind about all soy products. The two videos I've seen he talks about eliminating soy products because they raise IGF-1 twice the level of cow's milk. In fact he mentions that at one time he ate four soy breakfast sausages every morning before he discovered the connection with IGF-1.
Helpinghands

Postby f1jim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:56 pm

The last ASW featured several dishes using soy. There didn't seem to be any change there.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:06 pm

The recommendation is to avoid processed soy foods (like soy fake meats) and isolated soy protein. Allowed soy foods are those that are tradional & minimally processed like edamame, tofu, tempeh and soy milk, and since they are high in fat, they are considered rich foods and are limited.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge