Meet The Members: Forum Member Profiles

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Meet The Members: Forum Member Profiles

Postby Principality » Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:12 am

updated May 2018

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: I have been stalking for years on and off.

How long have you been following the McD program: I used the free program in 2009 to bring down cholesterol and it worked but I didn't remain committed. I recently began following MWL seriously due to fear of unexplained inflammation I experience which has so far been proving itself to be directly associated with the things I eat. Dr. McDougall has been saying it for a long time and I have to admit in my case he is right, "It's the Food!"

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Feel better and lose weight.

What is your success to date: In 2009 I brought down my cholesterol from 230 to 193 over the course of a year by McDougalling alone. I felt I got no real help from the medical staff and that they didn’t seem iterested since I wasn’t to the point of putting on medication. I had to really push and pay out of pocket to get my blood work done quarterly so I could see if I was making progress. I later fell off the bandwagon as I had no means to gauge success. I retried in 2016 but didn’t stay motivated or consistant and once again fell off the wagon and just re-started this May 2018. Proof it is always in the back of your mind that this is the right thing to do and I hope to stick with it this time.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you:
Morning:
Meal 1- oatmeal and tea and fruit (usually an apple)
Noon:
Meal 2 - super soup (loaded with spinach, beans, veggies, barley) or recipe from MWL book
Afternoon:
Meal 3 - 1 cup thawed, frozen berries
Meal 4 - rice or potato with beans, 1 cup each of two non starchy vegetables (I literally match my plate to the Jeff Novick place mat for this. The simpler, the better for me. No thinking needed. I really appreciate that.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): I always wear my pedometer because it reminds me to get up and makes me feel rewarded at the end of the night. I get in quite a bit of walking, usually 10000 steps every other day. However if I can convince my spouse to go out to the park and play with me that is soooooo much better and more fun for exercise. We have a frisbee, soccer ball, ball and mitts, rollar blades, etc. Relearning to play has been the best exercise and definately the most enjoyable. Now that it is spring again, I am hoping to up this but will gladly default to walking if it is the only option.

Other Hobbies/Interests: I enjoy reading sci-fiction/fantasy but am a snob and haven’t read anything really great in a while, watching old comedy movies as well as masterpiece theater British drama classics made into movies, playing card games (I am very competitive) and perusing the forum.
Last edited by Principality on Fri May 11, 2018 8:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Starting weight : 240lbs, current 235.9 change -4.1
Principality

Postby viv » Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:52 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr McDougall: I read his first book in the 80s and then forgot about it for 30 years. In 2013 I found out about the site via the documentary, Forks Over Knives.

How long have you been following the McD program: 3 years

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Poor health: overweight, sick, depressed, joint pain, afraid of the future and cancer recurrence. I wanted to lose weight and feel well.

What is your success to date: 55 pounds down, now at normal BMI. All joint pain lifted the first week on the program. I've regained my health, I'm slim, healthy and feel great, I still can't believe it.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: I love the food, I eat simply and deliciously.
Breakfast: Bowl of oatmeal (Quaker Oats Old Fashioned) with sprinkle of sugar, cinnamon and almond milk; banana.
Lunch: Couple of potatoes on a bed of steamed frozen veggies with ketchup or barbecue sauce or whatever sauce I feel like. Or I might have a peanut butter jelly sandwich made from Ezekial bread and a couple of pieces of fruit.
Dinner: My favorite dinner is a big plate of oven fries with steamed veggies or salad on the side, yum.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: I like Mary's confetti rice. I make it when I have friends over, it's always popular.

Describe Your Exercise: Light stretching every morning, situps, pushups. A couple of walks throughout the day. I have 3 and 5 lbs hand weights I play around with most days. I also like you tube exercise videos and do a couple a week. On Sundays I do Rodney Yee's AM yoga. This is my favorite. I like to keep moving as much as possible.

Other Hobbies/Interests: Art. I have been an artist all my life. I'm currently into botanical illustration and love the meditative quality of applying layers and layers of transparent color and detail. When the detail gets to me I respond with an expressionist abstract and dump on lots of color. It's fun. Dancing; I used to do a lot of ballroom, now getting back into it. Lots of disco when I was younger--I still love to dance! Reading, I always have a good book going.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby bissbirds » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Richard Biss

Lake Villa IL

I have been reading Dr. Mcdougall's materials for several years and have eating a whole -food plant based diet for about 4-5 years. About 10 years ago we decreased eating dairy and decreased our meat consumption when my cholesterol hit 221, but we didn't stop all animal foods and oil until about 5-6 years ago. Of course we sometimes still end up eating oil in restaurants, as most of them don't know how to cook without it, even when asked to do so.

I also received a certificate in Plant-based Nutrition from Cornell, and watched Dr. McDougall's CE course for medical doctors.

About 10 years ago I read the China Study and was intrigued by the relationships of nutrition to cancer, but we didn't really change our diet until several years later after reading Dr. Mcdougall's information about how food may be the cause of my wife's migraines. She suffered with terrible migraines for about 30 years and received nothing but drugs from doctors we went to. Most of the migraines stopped after we stopped dairy, and since then we have found more triggers for them such as oils and who knows what else they put in restaurant food. So now we rarely eat out and it is rare for her to have any migraines. It also eliminated the pain she was having in her hands and her knees, her heart palpitations stopped, and the pain behind her eyes has also stopped.

I read the Starch Solution book and wanted to be more able to pass this information on to other people. But unfortunately none of my relatives are interested in changing their diet - both of my sisters have diabetes. One of them also has renal disease worsened by the oral diabetic medications. And my niece, who has metastatic breast cancer and diabetes, was told by her oncologist not to worry about what she eats because diet has never been "proven" to have any effect on cancer. Every time I send her information, it never seems to have any effect because her doctors and dietitians don't know anything about plant-based nutrition and are actually against it. I sent her the China Study and Stop Feeding Your Cancer book by Dr. Kelly, and Dr. Bernard's book on Diabetes, and the forks over knives DVD but nothing has been unable to counteract what her doctors tell her, so her tumors in her lungs are getting larger and I'm afraid her time is limited unless she changes her diet.

At least some of my clients are interested in changing their diets. I spoke to a lady who went mostly plant-based, with only a small amount of range-fed beef a couple times weekly, and as a result her husband lost 50 pounds and got off the liver transplant list from cirrhosis and fatty liver disease and decreased his liver values in half. Another lady I spoke to was upset because her husband was mountain climbing in Colorado. A couple years earlier he was told he needed quadruple bypass surgery, and he fortunately went to see Dr. Esselystyn instead, who got him on the plant-based diet which reversed his heart disease.

As for me, I am a Veterinarian who seems to be getting younger after eating this way. I have more hair than I used to, and it is not as gray as it was before. The pain/cold sensitivity I had in my teeth is now gone. I also stopped using fluoride toothpaste, but I think the diet may have had more to do with it. Sensodyne toothpaste never really did work for me. If a person can get painful nerves in other locations due to clogged blood vessels, why can't blood vessels leading to the teeth result in cold sensitivity? I have never seen anything written on that topic.

In my typical day at work I get to talk to people about their pet's diet, and often I give them a reference to Dr. McDougall's site as well, as they usually have the same or similar problems to what their pet has. I have quite a few dogs on vegan diets that are doing very well with diseases such as protein-losing enteropathy, arthritis, pemphigus, and epilepsy. But the commercial vegan diets that are readily available are frustrating to use and sometimes don't help because they all seem to contain oils.

I don' typically exercise a lot, but I try to go on the elliptical a couple of times a week, and on most nights I do 50-60 push-ups before going to bed at night. About 10 years ago I had several bulging disks in my neck, which fortunately responded to cortisone injections so I didn't have surgery. My shoulder hurt so much I couldn't do one pushup for over a year and was in pain whenever I lifted it up, and I was unable to lay on my right side for about 2-3 years because it still caused neck pain when I tried to do that. After going plant-based almost all the pain is gone - my neck still "cracks" from arthritis, as do some of my joints, but they rarely hurt anymore. I thought it would be a good goal to do a pushup for every year old I am. So when I'm 70, I'll so 70 of them. Perhaps that could encourage some people to thing twice about me not having enough protein!

My favorite hobby is bird-watching. I ran the Chicago Rare Bird Alert for about 25 years before we stopped the hotline because everything went internet and digital. I live with a wetland in the back yard which has nesting Sandhill Cranes.

Other interests - I am a Messianic Jew that enjoys a nice Shabbat nap, and I have been involved in numerous Bible projects. I'm technically not a vegan, as I have lamb for Passover.
bissbirds

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:55 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: in 1995, at a church women's function, a friend had just started "The McDougall Plan" and felt fantastic. We couldn't believe there was any diet that removed meat, and eggs, and dairy! Vegan wasn't a household word back then. I went to the bookstore and bought the yellow book and LOVED the energy. That was in Jan thru Sept of 1995, and I went back to whole foods omnivore until 2007.

How long have you been following the McD program: Labor Day, 2007

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: first time: To lose weight; this time around, to lose weight AND because it was the best energy I ever had in my memory.

What is your success to date: Immediate effects include: end of depression, reduction in IBS symptoms, increased stamina and energy. Weight loss came about over several months, where I lost 55 lbs pretty quick, going from obese to "mere overweight" for the first time in my adult life...then had a "feast day" for Easter where I ate sugary stuff that triggered me and I went off the rails for a bit, then on again for about 10 more lbs, then off and on, then I added too much processed, and quite a bit of fat, and have gained back a lot since about July 2014.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Breakfast by 7:00, oatmeal most often. Lunch between 11:30 and 12:30 usually whatever I have a pot full of, from my batch cooking a couple times a week. I try never to have dinner later than about 7:00, usually earlier than that, by 5:30 or so, in order not to have food in my stomach when I go to bed. I eat three meals a day, no snacking between meals.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Thai Curried Rice from the Starch Solution it is so delicious, and I've tweaked it, using frozen stir fry vegs instead of all the hand chopped vegs in the recipe.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): I am a couch potato, so I was happy to hear Doug Lisle say to eat well and aim for 10 minutes of activity a day hahahaha...though I generally try to get 30. Yoga is my favorite by far, and I also love swimming and walking.

Other Hobbies/Interests: reading, zentangle, dancing, beer, nature, birds
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Kpauld » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:38 pm

Name:
My name is Kellie and I live in Kamloops, BC, Canada.

Where did I learn about Dr. McDougall:
I found out about Dr. McDougall because of his TED talk and I was curious, so I looked at the website, and here I am.

How long have you been following Dr. McDougall:
I have only been following Dr. McDougall for about 3 days and I'm reading as much as I can to learn more.

What is the reason for starting the program:
The main reason I am interested is that I have been plagued with stomach issues for years and lately, I've been feeling exhausted all the time. I know that something isn't right, so I believe it's probably my diet. I travel a lot in my work and frequently eat in restaurants - not all of which serve the healthiest fare. I don't have a weight problem although I know it wouldn't hurt me to lose a few pounds around the middle.

What is my success to date:
I can't answer this as of yet because I am just beginning the program. I can tell you that I really have missed my morning coffee for the past two days. I went shopping yesterday to get what I need to start the program and I am making a few recipes today so the food is handy. I think that will help me in being successful. I also know that I will struggle because my husband won't change his eating habits at all. So, I am also hoping that by logging in here on a regular basis to hear how others have done, will help me as well.

My diet so far:
I printed off the 3 days of recipes and have been searching for ideas to maintain the diet. I didn't realize how much butter and dairy I ate until I began to look at this diet. I have switched to almond milk which is not really a problem for me becasue I like it, but I used to eat a lot of yogurt and cheese.

Favourite Recipe:
I can't comment on this yet - too soon.

Exercise program:
I walk at least 45 minutes everyday and often do a bit of running with that. I have gone back to doing my stretches, crunches, and light weights. I have a sit down type of job, so I don't exercise as much as I should - but I do get out daily.

Other hobbies:
Reading for sure - camping and hiking - cooking
Kpauld

Postby Ryookaman » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:11 pm

I'm Ryookaman but I'm actually a female. Lol. Closing to 30. There's nothing much to tell about my life. No life goals achieved lol.

Member Profile Template
Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: After extensive search on dieting
How long have you been following the McD program: 3 sundays.
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: weight reduction, 20-30 kgs of it
What is your success to date: none lol
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: carrot-oatmeal porrige for breakfast and snack, potato soup for lunch, a banana or an apple for snack, potatosoup for dinner, then nothing. The other day is the same except after potato soup for dinner, I eat another patch of potato soup, then I binge on bread and macaroni. LOOAADDS of it. So much my pee turns orange.
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: I've not tried many/any.
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): 45 min of cycling erriday and working for 6 km or so at work.
Other Hobbies/Interests: computers, spiritual stuff. School.

In terms of weightloss, which is one of my main reasons for being here, the other reason becoming healthy again, I've been trying to reduce my weight since elementary school. Being a repeater-dieter I'm still a bit blah about this. Not the method, but about my ability to follow through. I've not succeeded in the past 20 years why would this be any different lol. Meh.

I get reckless rather easily. So I end up gaining weight 100% of the time so far. I know the simple guidelines by now, but my downfall is ending up in mindless binging after work. Like loads and loads of potatoes, and macaroni....then comes the cheese and the oil.. I detest myself a lot lol.

Anywho, I'm committed (such a funny word for my vocabulary) to trying this until summer. I'm already off the wagon so back on the wagon.....

Cheers.
Ryookaman

Postby Langeranger » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:39 pm

Real Name is Don J. Brix

I'm live in Dallas, Texas

Learned of John McDougall reading The China Study

Became Plant-based January 2007. Oil and fake-meat free 2009.

Drawn to the program for health/nutrition reasons. Now consider the ethical/environmental reasons very important also.

I've lost close to 20% of my body weight over the 10 years I've been following this WOE (I didn't need to lose the weight). My lipid numbers are what I call "enviable," though I'm still trying to consistently achieve the 150 total cholesterol number. Systolic BP is in the 110-120 range. I'm 77 years old. My health issues are all unrelated to what I'm feeding my body.

I do lots of grocery shopping, chopping, and food prep. Mostly retired so I can spend an inordinate amount of time in the kitchen.

I don't fix it often, but my wife and I are very fond of Mary McDougall's Jack Fruit BBQ. Also, frequent poster "Jim's'" Tahini-free hummus.

Very active physically. On the floor every morning for 20-25 minutes of stretching and strengthening routine. With my wife I also do a low-intensity free-weight workout 3 x weekly. Mall walk 2.5 miles 3 x week. Do landscape gardening, Living in Dallas and being 80% retired I have the luxury of sunbathing year round as feasible (i.e., weather and schedule permitting) I follow Michael Holicks exposure guide. I realize I get little or no Vit. D during the short-day part of the year, but I've come to enjoy the daily interlude. It's actually more enjoyable in the Winter than when it's oppressively hot. I manage to keep my "D" above 30 w/o supplementing.

I enjoy both fiction and non-fiction ( including lots of nutrition stuff). Occasionally scratch around for a while on my fiddle. A couple of years ago, seeking to increase my influence on others regarding this WOE, I started writing a blog-like newsletter which I send to a list of around 65 family, relatives, friends, acquaintances, and work colleagues, a few of whom are on board with this WOE; the majority yet to be persuaded. You can see an example of one on the Journal board.
Langeranger

Postby shell-belle » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:17 am

]Screen Name: shell-belle

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: Internet browsing while investigating reversal of of heart disease.
How long have you been following the McD program: Since Jan, 2011

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: I was helping my husband reverse his heart disease.

What is your success to date: We both embraced the McDougall WOE. I did not have weight to lose but my husband did He lost 32
pounds. My cholesterol was a little high but I had no other health issues. Hubby got off his BP meds and avoided the need for 3rd stent.
Cured his pre-diabetes. We both experienced lots of other benefits. Better mood, clearer thinking, more energy! Better sleep!

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Hubby passed away in March of 2014 - from a genetic defect. I am grateful he was able
to live the last 3+ years of his life feeling great! I continue the McDougall WOE as I feel it is simple and healthy and I feel good eating this way.
I have potatoes and veggies and rice, beans and lentils each day! Simple but delicious!

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Various Jeff Novick style meals. Steamed greens with rice and beans. Potatoes & lentils.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): Mostly walk-an hour per day. Longer walks at times. Yoga. Dancing 2x a week.
Swimming 3-4 times per week.
shell-belle

Postby NickiM » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:43 am

My name is Nicole Matcha and I live in San Francisco, California. I first learned of Dr. McDougall in 1990 when I was given a copy of The McDougall Plan, having gone vegan that year.

The veganism was meant to be temporary; I was influenced by the book The Pritikin Program for Diet and Exercise and wanted to encourage myself to focus on vegetables and whole grains in order to lose weight I’d gained over the previous several years. As I began my trial period, a friend suggested I read the book Diet for a New America by John Robbins. Once I became fully aware of the triple whammy of animal mistreatment, environmental impact and damage to human health, animal products were out of my diet forever. However, although I have remained staunchly vegan all these years, my diet veered far from the simple wholesomeness of my early days, when I effortlessly lost 25 lbs in two months (which was all I needed to lose back then). As veganism has become more prevalent, so has the availability of junky, fattening vegan food. Periodically I would review McDougall principles, eventually acquiring the book The McDougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss (but not abiding by its guidelines) and attending a McDougall Celebrity Chef Weekend in 2009 (but not actually putting what I’d learned into practice afterwards).

Over the years I’ve become more fat than I was when I first experimented with Pritikin principles. A few years ago I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol and have been on meds for these conditions since.

My most compelling reason for reindoctrinating myself with McDougall wisdom at this time is the development of osteoarthritis in my knee. A few weeks ago I went through a spell during which I was experiencing a lot of pain and stiffness and that really motivated me to ditch the excess weight, even more so than my other diagnoses and concern about my appearance and difficulty in finding clothes had.

I stopped buying any naughty food as of February 20 and have been using up the remnants of oil-filled salad dressings, nuts, Valentine’s Day chocolates, noodle products, etc. I had around. That was also the last day I dined out or got food to go. I’ve been eating potatoes, sweet potatoes, squash, brown rice and oatmeal, along with assorted salad greens, non-starchy vegetables and an average of one piece of fruit a day. I still drink coffee and black tea but no longer use non-dairy “milk” in them and I am still allowing myself one beer a day (I know…). Of course no oil is added to my food at any point. Basically, I’m going by MWL principles (except for the caffeine and alcohol).

I threw out my scale a while ago but was weighed at a medical appointment not long before going McDougall again, and I have another appointment Wednesday so I may find out my current weight then. At 5’2.5” and 181.5 lbs as of February 3, I have quite a lot of weight to lose. After two weeks of eating tremendously better, I have had to tighten my belt to the next hole and was able to fit into a pair of pants that had been out of bounds for a while. My rings are also feeling loose. And I feel better about myself and more in control now that I’m eating well.

I’m usually in the habit of eating two meals a day. Yesterday I had black coffee, some baked butternut squash and potato fries with ketchup, fat-free refried beans, mixed vegetables and salsa, then later I had a cola (leftover and this time around I felt it was better for me to gradually use up the bad foods while greatly improving the bulk of my diet), a beer (I know!), romaine with cherry tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and nutritional yeast, a sweet potato with kale, hot sauce and nutritional yeast, and a chocolate (from the aforementioned Valentine’s Day haul). I’m not buying cola anymore and those chocolates will soon be but a memory. At some point I’ll probably ditch or cut down on the alcoholic beverages to facilitate weight loss.

I don’t have a favorite McDougall dish as I’m not much of a cook and have just been preparing my food extremely simply, but I am eager to develop my skills (I believe there was some sort of “sloppy lentils” recipe that sounded good).

My exercise is way too minimal and consists of walking around running errands or getting to and from public transportation.

I work in the mental health field and am interested in related topics; I also enjoy film, television and music.

If you've made it this far, thank you for your attention to this longwinded introduction!
NickiM

Postby CathyC » Fri May 05, 2017 7:31 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: I started out this journey by watching Forks Over Knives and Plant Pure Nation on Netflix. As I sought a more broad understanding of how to be healthier, seeking more and more resources, I collided into information about Dr McDougall. I love the webinars with Gustavo every week.

How long have you been following the McD program: I'm not 100% on Dr McDougall's plan yet. Oil (Earth Balance) and Sugar and half and half in my coffee seem to have me in chains....but I'm working on it. I realize without being chastised, that those three things are keeping me from full success. Nothing Dr Lisle says seems to motivate me to change yet, but I will reach the threshold of not being a prisoner to that in time. I'm getting close.

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: Better health, with weight loss as a secondary motivation.

What is your success to date: Since the Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2016, 12 pounds. I had lost 19 but gained some back. It seems to fluctuate back and forth but I now only weigh myself every two weeks. As of January 4th, ALL of my blood work has come within normal ranges, much to my Dr's surprise and I am off of 10 of my 14 medications, with the other 4 being COPD and airway dilators with only one pain med on board as needed - and that is very infrequently. I am HLAB-27 positive and flair ups are crippling at times, but not nearly as bad as they used to be. I also have COPD, Psoriatic Arthritis, Rhuemtoid Arthritis, Peripheral neuropathy (ideology unknown - not diabetic), a 10x10 lung nodule that does not indicate cancer with my last PET scan and emphysema. I will say though, my last lung scan report did not indicate any signs of emphysema as all others had - for the first time in 5 years. Colitis and diverticulitis with a history of anal/rectal abscesses (4 surgeries) is hopefully now behind me. I haven't had diarrhea since changing my eating habits. I'm healing, but slow and steady. Before I changed my eating habits, I used to feel like a walking deep tissue bruise every day. Now things are much improved but at times still challenging. I am Vitamin D deficient, but my Dr says I need sunshine, not pills to correct that.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Breakfast is usually either cold shredded mini wheat with dry oats and fruit of some sort with almond milk, then other meals (sometimes I only eat twice a day) include a potato and greens or rice and beans with a salad. I do have days I skip breakfast, or don't eat until later in the day. If I'm hungry I eat, if not, I don't. I do supplement with B-12 and B complex. I only have $118 a month to use for food, so it's a challenge keeping up with the recipes I really want to try due not not being able to afford the ingredients.

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: I haven't found it yet. I can't afford the cookbooks on my limited income but have the app and I love it.

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): I get very little exercise. I'm disabled and have bone spurs and degenerative disc issues. The bone spurs are in my neck, shoulder and left hip and I simply refuse to be cut on anymore. I do have a little dog, and we take slow walks twice a day around the building. I'd love to get in a pool, but am too body conscience right now to be in public in a swimsuit.

Other Hobbies/Interests: I have many interests, but no hobbies. I love the arts in all forms, music from every genre and have dabbled in local politics. I used to love to travel, but can no longer afford it - not even to visit my Son in CO. Disability and the meager income that comes with it restricts my activity and ability to enjoy life. My life before and after disability is as stark as night and day. Right now, my interest is staying alive and improving my health so I can be more active, comfortably. I am told I can earn up to $1100 a month and still keep my disability. That would be a blessing. You hiring? 32 years of IT recruiting, business admin and bookkeeping at your service! I'm also a social media and marketing enthusiast. In my past, I was a frequent bowler, played tennis, roller skated (even up to age 45), played softball and loved to ride my bicycle. I stay home more than go out because I find I am evacuating more frequently and going out for a stroll usually means chasing down a bathroom at unexpected times so I avoid the embarrassment and stay home where the bathroom is close by.

I am 59 yrs old, will be 60 Dec 4th. I prefer not to say I am vegan or vegetarian. I prefer to say I am working on being "whole".
CJ
CathyC

Postby Willijan » Sun May 07, 2017 9:34 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: I first read one of Dr. McDougall's books in the 1980s, and I immediately went on the diet. Except I took the weekends off and ate lots of ice cream! Then I went back to my job in a logging camp in Alaska and found it hard to stay on the program (without ice cream) due to getting groceries by air and to getting hungry between opportunities to eat. I did however teach my Alaskan elementary school students how to replace oil with applesauce in baked goods, and how to make some savory vegan foods.
How long have you been following the McD program: I returned to the McDougall diet around 2012, and I tried to follow it strictly from the beginning. I eliminated all animal products immediately, and oil soon after when I figured out what to eat and how to cook to avoid going hungry. And I have gradually lowered my intake of sugar and salt by a lot.
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: I was just trying to maintain my health, which was pretty good already, and I wanted to lose weight in order to look better. I have had a lifelong interest in what is the healthiest way to eat, so I guess you'd say my interest was inborn.
What is your success to date: I have reduced my weight from about 128 lbs. to 113 lbs. I still need to get my blood pressure down further. It is typically about 130/90. I don't have any other health problems that I attribute to diet.
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: I have oatmeal with chopped apple or cooked blueberries for breakfast. Then I eat whenever I am hungry, typically 4 to 6 times a day. My go to food is yellow potatoes, and I make a lot of soups. I make large batches of food and just take some out of the frig whenever I need to eat. I also cook for my husband, who eats McDougall, but likes different foods than me. So I spend quite a bit of time cooking, since I don't like eating plain food every meal.
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Right now my favorite recipe is potato soup with wild rice. Yellow potatoes, onion or leeks, celery, herbs, wild rice, corn and a little soy milk.
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): My usual exercise is walking near my house, riding my bike near my house, using the treadmill or the BOSU ball, and doing yoga. The amount varies, but around 30 minutes most days, except lots more for yoga.
Other Hobbies/Interests: Reading novels and nonfiction, playing classical piano music, birdwatching, boating. And watching the Golden State Warriors.
Willijan

Postby mack45 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:38 am

I am Bruce Mackay from north western Canada,Smithers BC .
I found this site when looking for answers to Vegan questions.
I have not heard of this Dr. McD before.
My reason for going vegan is it seems to offer the only solution to relief of arthritic symptoms. I have iron overload or hemachromeatosis . I have not found any reason to bother trying to even spell the problem as it would do nothing to cure the issue.
I have been vegan for about one week so far. I had done a 14 days of the juicing diet before and that went well. I have an exercise program more vigorous in winter. Now I do mostly walking and most only 2 to 3 days a week about 5 miles or one hour forty minutes per walk. Most summers I golf daily, not this year I over did my weights this last winter and got golfers elbow.
I also work part time rebuilding Quads for a tree planting company. Now I am looking to take a few months off and let my arm heal. I also do fishing. not sure I will now that I do not eat them.
mack45

Postby Jwelsh104 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:25 pm

Member Profile

My websites: https://thebeginninghasbegun.blogspot.com/
https://www.reverbnation.com/jenniferwelsh
http://www.jenniferwelsh.net

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: It’s been so many years, I don’t exactly remember how I first found the web site, but I have been visiting for over 10 years and “dabbling” with a low fat vegan diet, but just recently dove all the way in.

How long have you been following the McD program: Since August 1, 2017

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: diabetes, arthritis, pain … just want to feel better and be here for my grand kids.

What is your success to date: Since August 1 I have lost 19 pounds, brought my blood sugar and cholesterol down, been able to stop one diabetes medication (glipizide) and cholesterol medication (pravastatin). In the past 10 years I have lost 80 pounds total with my on again, off again approach. My diabetes kept getting worse (in my “off again” times) which was the major factor for giving in totally to the program.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: Oatmeal or oat bars for breakfast, beans and rice or a baked potato, or air friend potatoes for lunch with veggies, soup and a low fat vegan entrée for dinner. Dessert, if I have it, is frozen bannanas or strawberries in the blender with a little soy milk for “ice cream.”

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Sweet Corn tomalito

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): I am trying to get into the habit of exercise. Right now, pain is really bad and hinders me. I like Leslie Sansone walk aerobics that I can do at home, at work, or anywhere I have an internet connection.

Other Hobbies/Interests: Singing, song writing, writing poetry, blogging, cooking, nutrition, my dogs
Jwelsh104

Postby Okra Lover » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:34 am

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr Mcdougall: I was searching for an alternative to estrogen blocker medicines after breast cancer diagnosis.
How long have you been following the McD program: 5 months
What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: I was searching for an alternative to estrogen blocker medicines after breast cancer diagnosis. I took them for 1 ½ years and noticed a decline in my white blood cell count, my bone density was getting lower and joint problems. I wanted to try something to help my body and watched forks over knives, and then found Dr. McDougall. My partner didn’t tell me but she secretly went on the starch diet for a few weeks without telling me. She wanted to see if she could do it before she told me. What a great support she has been! She has the same good results including she is off of her blood pressure meds!
What is your success to date: After 3 weeks, cholesterol dropped 50 points. I am planning on blood work soon – I bet is has dropped more now. No more joint pain - varicose veins on legs disappearing – weighed 157 now I weigh 138 (19 pounds and still losing) - Normal BMI – chronic shoulder pain disappeared – more energy – don’t sleep as much – don’t need deodorant! – this may be too much info but sex drive has returned!! Amazing results for 5 months and eating as much as I want and 62 years young! I feel like I found the fountain of youth!
Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you: I have a bowl of cereal and rice milk for breakfast, then around 10 I have some baked country style potatoes with mustard or BBQ sauce, lunch I have a bowl of soup (lentil, potato, whatever I can find leftovers in freezer), then afternoon snack might be peanut butter (the mix) on toast and then 5 or so dinner, which is anything from Mary’s recipes. I also like spaghetti with Paul Newman’s marinara sauce and garlic bread, and black eyed peas or any peas or lentils in crock pot yummy! Oh yeah, evening snack is primarily baked steak fries with ketchup.
Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: I like the gravy recipes.
Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): I try to walk at least 3 miles a day, sometimes adding running and walking.
Other Hobbies/Interests: Camping with camping group – gardening – writing - dancing
Okra Lover

Postby barryoilbegone » Tue Sep 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Where/How did you find out about the site &/or Dr McDougall: I first came upon John's name and work about 2001 - 3, via the VegSource website and the Nelson's story, with McDougalling saving Sabrina Nelson's life from debilitating lupus. However, I wasn't very familiar with oil free back then, and was vegan diet (junk food included :roll: ) for around 15-16 years before transitioning.

I also remember John replying personally to me with e-mail responses in my questions about eating, and then again separately over the years - I made it John, and now see the light :wink: ... thank you so much!

How long have you been following the McD program?: 2 and a half years

What was your initial reason/goals for starting the program: It was getting Dr Esselstyn's book in Jan of 2015 that finally sold me wholesale how important oil free was, and that was what I needed to do to try and maintain health fully. I was shocked and excited at the potential - so untapped and unspoken about in mainstream medicine - to slow and reverse disease, or prevent it altogether.

What is your success to date: Chronic low grade catarrh, that I had just accepted as a fact since childhood: vanished! Minor chest tightness/sluggishness when running, swimming and other aerobic exercise- also vanished! Felt circulation improve, bowel motions regularly and happy, and athletic stamina increase. What a way to live, feel and be! I thank my lucky stars that I cottoned on to starch based eating, and then to all the pioneers in this field. Although I had no obvious or visible health problems when I started, I figure might just save myself (and others - I'm a health professional) from premature round of heart disease, diabetes, and other illnesses.

Describe a Typical Day of McDougalling for you:

Breakfast - Often a bowl of oats with almond milk, and no added sugar jam - sometimes a little dried fruit, or a Naked bar if I'm feeling generous (do you have these in the US, or rest of the world? They're very moreish :cool: . Snacking mid morning on fruit, or wholewheat pitta or two if I'm home.

Lunch - if at work - might be Mexican bean salad, or vegetable soup, usually with pittas, or wholegrain rice pouch. If at home, I love toasted sandwiches with olives and mushrooms, with mustard and vinegar-ed peppers inside - delicious!

Dinner, I love meals like bean burritos, with home made oil free hummus, or occasional guacamole; nutritional yeast made mac and "cheese" ; giant cous cous, chickpea, pepper, sweetcorn, cucumber and tomato salad, with balsamic vinegar and garlic dressing; tomato sauce pasta and walnut and rocket/kale pesto; rye bread burgers (recipe is on this forum!). For snacks, maybe corn thins or corn cakes; cherry tomatoes and other salad vegetables; and more pittas. Can you tell I like pittas? :lol:

Favorite Mcdougall Recipe/Dish: Depends on the day, but possibly mashed potatoes and mushroom gravy (okay a recipe I stole from the Ornish program, but it's compatible!).

Describe Your Exercise (How much, what kind, etc): Running 20-25 miles each week, cycling to and from work most days (16 mile round trip), gym twice per week on ski machine and stationery bikes 2-4 hours a week

Other Hobbies/Interests: Electric and acoustic guitar, writing, reading, running club, movies. Starchivore awareness and activism! starchivoreandrunning.com is my site
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge