natto beans

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: natto beans

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:59 pm

What type of natto is best for someone who is trying to acquire a taste for it? Is the special sauce and mustard McDougall approved?

When I tried plain from the package I did not care for it, but would try it again with some guidance on toppings and type.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:42 pm

The special soy sauce is probably mainly soy sauce. Mustard, horseradish or wasabi are all ok.
colonyofcells

Postby Taggart » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Thanks for letting me know that Natto is available in the frozen food section. Ever since seeing the movie about the Australian who lost weight and regained his health by going on a Japanese diet I've been meaning to try it. Just looking in the wrong area of the Asian grocers.
Taggart

Postby Lyndzie » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:52 pm

Ok, I picked up natto again because I want to give it a fair shake, and there seems to be a variety of different sauces that they come with, and also different ways people recommend eating it (on rice, with raw egg, etc). Anyone here have some experience they can provide on how to eat it, with what kind of sauce and accompanying foods, etc? Maybe a favorite brand? The int’l grocery had a large selection.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:05 pm

I eat it for the K2, but I absolutely HATE it. I read a book about K2, and the author mentioned that natto is pretty much the only good plant based source of K2, and that she had tried it in several recipes (you aren't supposed to cook it). They were all pretty bad. BUT, the book also mentioned natto ice cream. Sooooo, I concocted some ice cream using very ripe frozen bananas, some unsweetened Wonder Cocoa, and a handful of frozen blueberries. Put it in a Ninja blender, and it comes out sort of like chocolate mouse--still a bit of the natto-like fluffiness, but if you then put in in the freezer for a bit, it's pretty decent ice cream consistency.

Any other way triggers my gag reflex. Sorry if this is TMI.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby colonyofcells » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:32 am

Sometimes, I add megumi brand natto to my usual soup, porridge, cereal, etc.
colonyofcells

Postby f1jim » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:56 am

Any sushi house will have natto rolls and that is my preferred way of consuming it. I actually enjoy it's unique taste and don't try to hide it's flavor.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby draperbr » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:23 am

Hi Lyndzie - here is how I prepare my Natto. However, I really like natto, so your enjoyment may vary ;-)

I take the natto out of the package and put it in a bowl, stirring it vigorously for a minute or two (it gets very "frothy"), then I simply add some crushed red pepper and a little soy/tamari sauce.

Most of the time I also take some vegan kimchi (sometimes I make my own, sometimes I use pre-made), chop it up fairly finely, and stir that in with the natto/red pepper/soy sauce.

I put a bed of rice down on a plate, and spread the natto micture on top.

The I top this all off with some nori. You can get Nori Krinkles at Whole Foods, although it's quite expensive. I've found another source at a local Asian Grocer - this is a fraction of the price. This jar actually looks like they took nori sheets and ran it through a paper shredder (I'm honestly almost positive this is what they've done)

I love it. I have this several times a week. In addition to tasting amazing, between the natto, the nori, and the kimchi I'm getting in so many nutrients that just aren't widely available in other type of foods. The only real downside is that between the kimchi and the soy sauce I'm getting a fairly high dose of salt.
draperbr

Postby Lyndzie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:54 am

Thanks for the tips! I tried the natto with shoyo and mustard on brown rice with nori and that was good. I’ll try it with kimchi next time.

I used to make big 10 lb batches of kimchi, but have backed off that in the past couple years. Draper, can you share your recipe? I’ve always used fish sauce, and have not had as good of luck without it.
Lindsey
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:36 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:I eat it for the K2, but I absolutely HATE it. I read a book about K2, and the author mentioned that natto is pretty much the only good plant based source of K2, and that she had tried it in several recipes (you aren't supposed to cook it). They were all pretty bad. BUT, the book also mentioned natto ice cream. Sooooo, I concocted some ice cream using very ripe frozen bananas, some unsweetened Wonder Cocoa, and a handful of frozen blueberries. Put it in a Ninja blender, and it comes out sort of like chocolate mouse--still a bit of the natto-like fluffiness, but if you then put in in the freezer for a bit, it's pretty decent ice cream consistency.

Any other way triggers my gag reflex. Sorry if this is TMI.

sounds interesting
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:45 pm

Finally ate some natto - 4 years later LOL - and I quite like it. Just having fairly small amounts on toast for breakfast at the moment. I like the idea of natto sushi so may try that. I don't whip it up as it kind of creeps me out a bit to see people doing that on youtube but I like the flavour.
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:37 pm

smells like coffee to me - same taste too - loving my natto btw

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Tue Mar 08, 2022 7:09 pm

I just have the beans on their own on my home-made sourdough bread toasted for breakfast. Just about to increase the quantity I eat daily to 80g. 2 packs instead of one.

Wish I knew if the brands in my local shop were GMO free.

KatherineUK

Postby KatherineUK » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:55 pm

colonyofcells wrote:I was not aware of dried natto. I heard the sticky stuff is healthy. The megumi natto is covered with a square plastic film that I lick so as not to waste any of the sticky stuff. I fill the empty natto plastic container a few times with warm water, scrape a little bit with spoon, to drink all of the leftover sticky stuff in the plastic container so nothing goes to waste.

LOL - I don't go that far ... yet ...

KatherineUK

Previous

Return to The Lounge