Am I being silly?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Am I being silly?

Postby VegSingleMum » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:30 am

It amazes me how people over complicate food. If food was really as complicated as people seem to think it is we’d have gone extinct eons ago. Eat Whole Foods, nothing processed, mostly plants, potatoes, brown rice, fruits and vegetables and you’ll be fine. It really is that simple. My son will practically only eat rice, noodles, tofu, tomato sauce and fruit, and amazingly he is thriving. I used to worry. But after several years of him doing great eating that way, as in he’s full of energy and literally never is sick, I don’t worry. I do give him a b12 a few times a month. That’s about it.
VegSingleMum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:48 am

JeffN wrote:
Langeranger wrote:mom + me said, "I tend to trust the Esselstyn Family's medical/food advice and practices." Same here. Along with McDougall and Novick, Esselstyn [i]does carry a sizeable load of gravitas. Don

Well, 2 out of 3 say, without any clearly identified need and without any clearly identified benefit, yes.

:)

In Health
Jeff

PS India has very high rates of heart disease.

Indian cuisine is high fat. I wonder how things would be in India if they consumed turmeric and ate vegan low fat.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby JeffN » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:51 am

Use of turmeric/curcumin for a month or longer may adversely affect the liver in a small percentage of people, and there has been a steady stream of such reports, mainly from the U.S.

https://insights.ovid.com/acg-case-repo ... 1/02075970
JeffN

Postby verde » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:10 am

JeffN wrote:Use of turmeric/curcumin for a month or longer may adversely affect the liver in a small percentage of people, and there has been a steady stream of such reports, mainly from the U.S.

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this! I was having turmeric powder daily on my greens for about 3 years! I guess it's time to give a break!
I had already stopped watching videos from that website (the one with nutrition in their name) that keeps reporting some foods as super foods...especially after reading and listening to Marion Nestle, I realized how silly it all is and how marketing is mostly always involved in such studies...
Thank you again, one more "super food" crushed.
verde

Postby JeffN » Sat Mar 28, 2020 7:21 am

verde wrote:
JeffN wrote:Use of turmeric/curcumin for a month or longer may adversely affect the liver in a small percentage of people, and there has been a steady stream of such reports, mainly from the U.S.

Oh wow! Thanks for sharing this! I was having turmeric powder daily on my greens for about 3 years! I guess it's time to give a break!
I had already stopped watching videos from that website (the one with nutrition in their name) that keeps reporting some foods as super foods...especially after reading and listening to Marion Nestle, I realized how silly it all is and how marketing is mostly always involved in such studies...
Thank you again, one more "super food" crushed.

In 35 years of doing this as a healthcare professional, I have never seen one such “super food” live up to is hype. Not one.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby verde » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:39 am

JeffN wrote:In 35 years of doing this as a healthcare professional, I have never seen one such “super food” live up to is hype. Not one.

In Health
Jeff

It figures... and it makes a lot of sense! I think the world's major problem when it comes to nutrition is the belief that health problems arise from some sort of "lack", there's a compulsive focus on "what's missing in our food" when the focus should be on "what's excessive". This "lack" mentality is what industries thrive on, exacerbating it by coming up with concentrated superfoods and the many frankenstein-foods they come up with. When in reality, health lays in simplicity, and if one is eating some form of a whole plant food source, generally, no one single food is better than any other.
Which is a relief in the end! Life is already complex, and if on top of it we complicate our daily food intake, we're in trouble, and it's bound to fail.
verde

Postby JeffN » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:08 pm

LiverTox: Clinical and Research Information on Drug-Induced Liver Injury.
Bethesda (MD): National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2012-.

Turmeric
Last Update: May 11, 2021.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK548561/

“Importantly, means of increasing the bioavailability of curcumin were developed using piperine (black pepper) or nanoparticle delivery methods to increase absorption. These high bioavailability forms of turmeric were subsequently linked to several cases of liver injury and mentioned as a possible cause of outbreaks of acute hepatitis with jaundice in Italy. The clinical features of the liver injury attributed to high bioavailable forms of turmeric have recently become better defined. The latency to onset of liver injury has varied from a few weeks to as long as eight months but is typically 1 to 3 months. The onset is insidious with fatigue, nausea and poor appetite followed by dark urine and jaundice.”
JeffN

Postby f1jim » Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:58 am

There you go, Jeff. Being a killjoy! Haha. There are so many things with rumors of benefits you could just consume supplements and forget the real food.
It's a tough thing to believe any company is rigorous about checking their product for contamination and toxicity. First you have to know what you are looking for. Sometimes we don't discover what we are looking for till after the fact. Arsenic and rice was a great example.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:21 am

Agreed. Thats why I posed this…

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... 27#p633027

Jefff
JeffN

Postby landog » Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:57 pm

Grammy Ginger wrote:Ann Esselstyn adds turmeric to her oatmeal every morning. I don't think anything she does is silly.

You must not watch her You Tube videos!
landog

Previous

Return to The Lounge