Remebering Sactobob

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Remebering Sactobob

Postby landog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:55 am

I was very saddened to hear that Sactobob has passed away. For those who may have frequented this forum 10 years or so ago, you may remember Bob.

Bob helped me tremendously when I first started on a WFPB lifestyle. Bob was a smart, thoughtful and caring person who would take the time to learn where someone was coming from, and where they were on their road to health before sharing his knowledge with advice that was direct and on point.

When I attended the McDougall ten day program in June of 2018, Bob and his wife Farley took the time to travel 100 miles from Sacramento to Santa Rosa just to have lunch with me!

Bob is on the left, I'm next to Bob. Jim and Terri Brown are next to me and Farley is next to Terri.

I'll remember Bob very fondly and I will have Farley and their family in my thoughts and prayers for some time to come.
Last edited by landog on Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
landog

Re: Remebering Sactobob

Postby landog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:57 am

landog

Postby landog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:01 am

This thread contains some classic 'Sactobob.'

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9469

"You have such big time problems that you should really give 100% compliance a try. If I were to analogize to drinking, a person who was drinking a bit much might succeed by gradually tapering off - at least debatable. But. . A long time drinker with a severe problem would probably not succeed this way. Since you have had a big time lifestyle problem by any definition, you owe it to yourself to see what is possible by getting through that transition phase and seeing how rapidly your body responds."

"You need a huge change in your health, and that is not likely to come with a moderate lifestyle change. The hardest part is that (see Dr. Lisle on this, or ask Jeff) you won't lose your cravings for the SAD food if you still "chip away" at them. You will be relying on will power, and you see where that has taken to you."

"You have gotten through a rough patch, and I know that you can make it the rest of the way. You're doing well, but greatness is within reach for you now."
landog

Postby landog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:05 am

Let him be blunt!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9939&p=75366

SactoBob wrote:Let me be blunt.

YOU have to be beyond 100% compliant if anything.

Check your first posts here. You have been aware of this program for some time, and "mostly McDougalling." But this still left you 60 pounds overweight and on a boatload of meds for diabetes and cholesterol etc. Even on insulin your last A1c was 8.9. You have serious health issues already.

Whether other people can get good results from going part way really isn't the point. You can't and you haven't.

So cowboy up and get through the transition phase. You will be soon enjoying your new foods and new lifestyle way more than the old one. In the mean time just get tough and get stubborn.
landog

Postby landog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:09 am

Sactobob was much nicer than Jim Brown!

Jim says so himself!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10811&p=86368#p86368

f1jim wrote:SactoBob and I have near identical experiences. He really deserves to have his story heard to a broader audience. I call SactoBob the "nicer, gentler" version of Jim Brown. He is such a great resource to new people on the forum.
f1jim
landog

Postby landog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:12 am

Some words for thought from Jeff and Bob:

"Partial adherence is neither partial nor adherence."
"Minor and occasional indulgences are often neither minor nor occasional."

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=10373&p=81127#p81127

JeffN wrote:...
As Sactobob recently said, partial adherence is neither partial nor adherence.

In addition, your experiment shows the impact of even what may be seen as minor and occasional indulgences. They are often neither minor nor occasional.

In Health
Jeff
landog

Postby f1jim » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:17 am

We always said we were brothers from two different mothers!
He was unique and committed. We hadn't seen much of each other the last few years. Maybe twice a year we would connect.
Also, this trip down memory lane tells me how much I have mellowed since those early, fiery days on the forum.
We were both hard core cases and that didn't always set well with people.
Bob was a super husband and Dad. His wife is as committed as he was.
The world is a bit lonelier today.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby landog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:19 am

Like I mentioned, Sactobob would not only give advice here that was right on target, he would do his homework first and learn more about the poster by researching prior posts. His advice here, "a vast difference between being on the program being mostly on the program," included looking up a prior post and adding his advice only after researching the poster's background.

I really admire that he took the time and effort to do so.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6461

SactoBob wrote:I have tried both, and find a vast difference between being on the program being mostly on the program.

Also, I checked a previous post.
http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... ght=#42453

I would not consider that meal even remotely McDougall, although it is vegetarian.

I am a believer that eating this way moderates anger issues and elevates moods. I am also a believer now in GABA rice as a mood moderating food.

...as noted by Jeff:

JeffN wrote:
SactoBob wrote:I have tried both, and find a vast difference between being on the program and being mostly on the program.

I can not emphasize and highlight the importance of this post and the message it contains.

In Health
Jeff
landog

Postby landog » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:22 am

f1jim wrote:We were both hard core cases and that didn't always set well with people.

I really got a kick out finding you saying that Bob was a "nicer, gentler" version of you!

f1jim wrote:The world is a bit lonelier today.
f1jim

It is...
landog

Postby Ltldogg » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:35 am

Thank you for sharing this landog! I am reminded and reenergized of the take home messages from The McDougall Program, the kindness of people here, and the importance of sharing the knowledge to those who seek it!

Cheers,
Scott
Ltldogg

Postby bethannerickson » Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:01 am

I remember SactoBob very well. He was an amazing person.

He reached out to me after my devastating cancer diagnosis (after 10 years of McDougalling) and I'll always remember his kindness. Because of that, he sparked my commitment to keep trying to maintain this lifestyle despite the loss of 2/3 of my colon.

He did a lot of great stuff behind the scenes. He will, and is already, missed a ton.

Thanks for starting this thread, LandDog.

Beth from Minnesota
bethannerickson

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:48 pm

We were so sad to hear about Bob. He and Farley came to a couple potlucks at our home, and my husband and I are the two on the far right of the photo posted by Iandog. That was the last time we saw Bob. He was an inspiration to us all.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby landog » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:06 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:We were so sad to hear about Bob. He and Farley came to a couple potlucks at our home, and my husband and I are the two on the far right of the photo posted by Iandog. That was the last time we saw Bob. He was an inspiration to us all.

I apologize for not identifying you in the pic. Thanks for coming out to meet me. I look forward to getting out west again!
landog

Postby landog » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:07 pm

landog

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:26 am

Ty for sharing. I am sadden to hear about the death.
Poison Ivy

Next

Return to The Lounge