Remebering Sactobob

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Remebering Sactobob

Postby Langeranger » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:51 pm

Hey Landog thanks to you Sumo Jim too for passing along your memories of a special person.
Langeranger

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:43 pm

I was very sad to hear of his passing this past week.

Just over 12 years ago, I joined these forums and soon after, we created my forum. One of the first board members I got to know was Sactobob. He started communicating with me as he wanted to be a client and we soon became friends. Not long after, I was speaking in his town and he invited me to visit his home and meet his wife and son. We kept in touch over the 12 years both professionally and personally. I admired his integrity and his love for his family.

I will miss him.
JeffN

Postby Mom+Me » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:57 am

landog,

Thank you for letting us know of Sactobob's passing and for including all the links, etc.. He certainly did add a lot to the Discussion Board, as I did a quick search and saw the 56 pages contain posts with his name (some in reference to him).

It is understandable that you, f1jim, JeffN, and Vanilla Orchid have all expressed your deepest condolences. He sounded like a truly terrific guy. I join you in your sorrow.

If you don't mind my asking, do you know what he passed away from? His Success Story sure is still inspiring; his legacy is continuing!
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. SactoBob helped me so much, with the non-processed challenge...got me below 190 in this venture, when I'd been sticking in the mid 190's for ages :(

Sad to see you go, Bob.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby bunsofaluminum » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:32 pm

f1jim wrote:We always said we were brothers from two different mothers!
He was unique and committed. We hadn't seen much of each other the last few years. Maybe twice a year we would connect.
Also, this trip down memory lane tells me how much I have mellowed since those early, fiery days on the forum.
We were both hard core cases and that didn't always set well with people.
Bob was a super husband and Dad. His wife is as committed as he was.
The world is a bit lonelier today.
f1jim

Oh boy do I remember the drama here! I'm so sad to learn of this.
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby landog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 pm

Mom+Me wrote:If you don't mind my asking, do you know what he passed away from?

All I know is that he died unexpectedly.
Thanks for your kind words!
landog

Postby landog » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:45 pm

bunsofaluminum wrote:Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. SactoBob helped me so much, with the non-processed challenge...got me below 190 in this venture, when I'd been sticking in the mid 190's for ages :(

Sad to see you go, Bob.

The non-processed challenge was a good one!
I did it again in Feb. 2018 and 2019, but I forgot to this February. I guess I'll do it in April to honor Bob!
landog

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:19 pm

My condolences to the family and friends of a great guy xx
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:18 am

landog wrote:
Mom+Me wrote:If you don't mind my asking, do you know what he passed away from?

All I know is that he died unexpectedly.
Thanks for your kind words!

Thank you for replying, landog. At least it sounds like he didn't suffer, or at least not for a long time. Still so hard, though. My heart goes out to his family and friends, like you.
Mom+Me

Postby Mom+Me » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:25 am

landog wrote:
bunsofaluminum wrote:Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear that. SactoBob helped me so much, with the non-processed challenge...got me below 190 in this venture, when I'd been sticking in the mid 190's for ages :(

Sad to see you go, Bob.

The non-processed challenge was a good one!
I did it again in Feb. 2018 and 2019, but I forgot to this February. I guess I'll do it in April to honor Bob!

bunsofaluminum, congratulations on getting below 190! This challenge sounds interesting. Thank you for bringing it up; I will check into it.

landog, maybe you can pick up the baton and carry out the unprocessed challenge tradition(?) that Bob started. :)
Mom+Me

Postby fulenn » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:56 pm

So sorry to find out about Sactobob passing away. He knew just how to pinpoint what details were being done incorrectly with people. I have to admit, I kind of liked the drama, a lot! I enjoyed how orderly his mind was.

Fulenn
What if love really IS the answer?

Read my journal about tackling Multiple Sclerosis with a plant-based McDougall diet in the journal forum on this site, Fulenn's MS Page.

My blog: http://fulennskitchen.blogspot.com
fulenn

Postby Yomom » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:36 pm

I am so sorry to hear of Sactobob's death. I enjoyed his blunt advice and assessments, back when he was a regular forum participant. With condolences to his wife Farley and the rest of his family...
Kathy
Yomom

Postby Debbie » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:00 pm

I was very sad to learn of Sactobob's death. As many here know, he and I butted heads on many occasions over many different things. I often accused him of being over bearing and bossy and he accused me of not taking my health seriously. We were both right. :nod: I find myself having bookmarked as many threads of his as I could find and have been reading them for a couple of years now. His advice, while harsh, is spot on for what most need to hear, including me. His knowledge can not be overstated. He lived rather close to me and I regret not having tried to meet up with him. I know I misunderstood most of what he said not due to him or me, but knowing that you cannot tell tone and inflection through sterile type. He definitely left an impression on anyone he cared to try to help...even if they didn't know they wanted it. :crybaby: RIP Bob
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Acura » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:50 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Scatobob's passing. I remember he started his forum etc. Does anyone know how he passed away? The reason I'm asking is I believe he had heart disease and he changed his life style.
CC
Acura

Postby Poison Ivy » Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:20 pm

Acura wrote:I'm sorry to hear about Scatobob's passing. I remember he started his forum etc. Does anyone know how he passed away? The reason I'm asking is I believe he had heart disease and he changed his life style.
I wish we knew the cause of death of all ppl who eat like this. No matter what, we all die in the end at some point. Death is really the great equalizer but it would be good to know if the diet we are eating helped to extend both the quantity and quality of that life. :)
Poison Ivy

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge