A Letter From The McDougall Team on CoVID-19

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

A Letter From The McDougall Team on CoVID-19

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:22 am

Dear Long-Time Friends and Health Advocates,

As we navigate through all of the information regarding COVID-19, the entire McDougall Team hopes all of you are staying safe, informed and taking care of yourself, your family and your friends during this uncertain time.

All of us are working from home and are here to help you in any way we can. Dr. McDougall recently lectured on COVID-19. If you haven’t already, we urge you to watch his talk and pass it on to the people you care about in your lives. Dr. McDougall will also be answering questions submitted by you regarding COVID-19 tomorrow, March 18. This pre-recorded Q & A will be sent out to our mailing list later that afternoon.

The well-being and safety of our patients, family and friends is, and has always been, of the utmost importance to us. We wish all of you well and want you to know we are here for you.

Best of Health,
The McDougall Team

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... Xs-lXlKMkU
JeffN

Re: A Letter From The McDougall Team

Postby Dougalling » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Dr and Mary McDougall, thank you so much for your Covid-19 video. It certainly was informational and it covered EVERYTHING!!
Thank you .
Dougalling

Re: A Letter From The McDougall Team on CoVID-19

Postby Hal » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:42 am

Thank you.
Hal

Postby Sandy Sue » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:04 pm

This is a great, informative and comprehensive video by Dr. McDougall. I appreciate him taking the time to do this.
Sandy Sue

Postby Langeranger » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:35 pm

I take comfort by reminding myself of “pro-immunity ” properties of the McDougall WOE. Don
Langeranger

Re: A Letter From The McDougall Team on CoVID-19 - diabetic

Postby AndrewR » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:16 pm

Hello,

I have a question regarding COVID19 susceptibility as it relates to diabetes. I have been diabetic for 7 years and I currently take metformin. I believe that diet changes I made when diagnosed have kept my condition from progressing although I still have some work to do to get to goal weight and ditch the drugs. My question is that although I have seen many statements that diabetes is a risk factor there is very little mention of the influence glucose control on COVID risk. My most recent a1c was 5.7 does that put me at significant higher risk? Is there an a1c level or range where risk increases significantly? More information would be very useful.

Thank you

Andrew
AndrewR

Postby Hal » Sat Jun 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Thanks for creating the video and your continues support during this pandemic, Dr. McDougall and McDougall folks. People should definitely follow the advise given.

So it looks like covid-19 is here for an extended stay. We need to do better. Lots of people have yet to come down with Covid-19 that will come down with it, in the tens millions, with mild or moderate or worse symptoms. To make matters worse, a lot of people are reporting ongoing symptoms even after several months - nobody knows the long term effects on the body. I keep hoping to hear more from the McDougall team and other researchers. On the other hand, maybe there i still nothing further to advise to the afflicted yet, other than 'stick to the WOE'.
Hal

Postby Hal » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:33 pm

Dr. Esselstyn has said that the nitric oxide in kale and the other greens will naturally make it harder on the virus to get into the body, or to do its thing when it's in there. I have also read that vitamin K deficiency people might be having worse outcomes, and kale and greens have vitamin K. I think i saw kale rated at 500% of daily requirement, but don't remember the portion or if that's blanched or raw.

A study from Oregon State suggests that only raw kale will offer up the nitric oxide properly.
https://extension.oregonstate.edu/sites ... andout.pdf

So as a preventative, keep doing what you're doing and be sure to add more kale, cooked and raw every day. I guess it's not clear if it helps those with the covid, but i'm pretty sure it won't hurt them either to load up on the kale.. :)
Last edited by Hal on Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hal

Postby JeffN » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:44 pm

Hal wrote:Dr. Esselstyn has said that the nitric oxide in kale and the other greens will naturally make it harder on the virus to get into the body, or to do its thing when it's in there. I have also read that vitamin K deficiency people might be having worse outcomes, and kale and greens have vitamin K. I think i saw kale rated at 500% of daily requirement, but don't remember the portion or if that's blanched or raw. A study from Oregon State suggests that only raw kale will offer up the nitric oxide properly.
https://extension.oregonstate.edu/sites ... andout.pdf

The concern is for those who are not eating healthy.

All the issues mentioned are covered when someone follows our dietary recommendations.

You can read detailed discussions on it in these threads...

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=57748

And these links from the thread...

Eating greens and nitric oxide production
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44548

Leafy Greens 6x/Day? (Followup to "nitric oxide production")
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=44556

Leafy Greens 6x/Day? Redux
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55369

How Much Kale Does It Really Take To Reach Nutrient Nirvana?
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413

My look at the Eating Greens study on Okinawa Women that Dr Esselstyn quotes
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28413#p377385

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Jeff55 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:22 am

Hi Jeff,
Do McDougallers have a better survival rate against COVID19? Can you share anything on this?
Jeff55

Postby SIE » Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:09 am

Jeff55 wrote:Hi Jeff,
Do McDougallers have a better survival rate against COVID19? Can you share anything on this?

Here you go:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... -02368.pdf

"After adjustment, three preconditions (Cardiac disease, Kidney disease, Neuromuscular disorder, and None (absence of precondition)) remained significantly associated. The presence of Cardiac disease and Kidney disease in the infected cases doubled the chance of mortality by COVID-19. The absence of preconditions (None) showed a protective effect, reducing the chance of mortality by COVID-19."

I'd say that is a big "yes" considering that McDougallers can essentially avoid these issues...

This part, too - pointing out obesity and diabetes, to name a few:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... tions.html
SIE

Return to The Lounge