McDougall advice on treatment of Uterine Cancer

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

McDougall advice on treatment of Uterine Cancer

Postby debknott » Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:40 am

Yep, I learned Wednesday that I have uterine cancer. They plan to perform a radical hysterectomy very soon, and then probably radiation therapy. I'm not worried about losing the uterus, etc., as I am 68 years old. They will also be testing or whatever they do with the pelvic lymph nodes. Is radiation or chemotherapy the way to go, or is just the surgery best? I know not every cancer is the same, but I remember that he does not recommend even surgery for some cancers, and surgery alone for others. What does Dr. McD recommend for uterine cancer?
debknott

Re: McDougall advice on treatment of Uterine Cancer

Postby michaelswarm » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:09 pm

Don’t know about specific McDougall advice for specific cancers. I think you want to research the risks and benefits for each of radiation and chemotherapy, for your situation. Do they offer real long term survival benefit, or just palliative care?

My girlfriend passed away from cervical cancer (stage 4) ten years ago. A couple of years earlier her boss passed away of uterine cancer (also stage 4). In general, many of the success stories for long term remission have involved surgery, declined radiation and chemotherapy, but major dietary change. You need to do your own research and come to your own conclusions, however. Don’t be afraid to keep asking your doctors for clarification until you understand the reasons for their recommendations. In my case, they had to be asked specifically before they would state clearly that the treatment they recommended had evidence only for palliative effects.

I think the optimum food offers the best quality of life, regardless of whether any cure can be proven.

Wish you the best.
michaelswarm

Postby debknott » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:40 pm

Thanks Michael. I plan to ask the oncologist what the recovery rate is with, as opposed to without, radiation and/or chemo. I believe that generally Dr. McD thinks radiation and chemo cause more sickness than they heal. I wish I remembered more specifically what he has said about these things. I want to feel more able to make good decisions.
Last edited by debknott on Sun Jan 17, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
debknott

Postby viv » Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:54 pm

debknott wrote:Yep, I learned Wednesday that I have uterine cancer. They plan to perform a radical hysterectomy very soon, and then probably radiation therapy. I'm not worried about losing the uterus, etc., as I am 68 years old. They will also be testing or whatever they do with the pelvic lymph nodes. Is radiation or chemotherapy the way to go, or is just the surgery best? I know not every cancer is the same, but I remember that he does not recommend even surgery for some cancers, and surgery alone for others. What does Dr. McD recommend for uterine cancer?

Deb, So sorry to hear of your diagnosis, this must be a very scary time for you. I did a search and found this link when you asked a question re cancer in 2019.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=59815&p=602423&hilit=clear+margins#p602423

I also remember reading to have surgery only with clear margins, but no radiation or chemo, but think that was in reference to breast cancer. You don't have to rush, take your time considering all the information before making a decision.

For myself, if I was to have a recurrence of breast cancer, I would have surgery only but no chemo or radiation.

We wish you well.
Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby debknott » Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:00 am

Thanks Viv. I don't feel frightened, but very sobered to learn that cancer has found me. I feel surprisingly peaceful about it, due to my faith and life in Christ. I know that He is with me through whatever may come.

Thanks for the link back to my own question in 2019. At that time my doctor and I both thought we felt a lump, but the mammogram showed it to be not a tumor.

This time all I had was minor bleeding, which I was not worried about, but sure enough, it was because of cancer. I don't think I can avoid the surgery, but want to stop at that alone if I can.
debknott

Postby viv » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:21 am

I too have the same belief system Deb. In fact God directed me to the McDougall Diet in 2013. I too am at peace knowing I am just passing through this earth life.
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby debknott » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:35 am

Thanks Viv. It's nice to know when you're talking to a fellow believer. :)
debknott

Postby openmind » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:55 pm

debknott wrote:Yep, I learned Wednesday that I have uterine cancer. They plan to perform a radical hysterectomy very soon, and then probably radiation therapy. I'm not worried about losing the uterus, etc., as I am 68 years old. They will also be testing or whatever they do with the pelvic lymph nodes. Is radiation or chemotherapy the way to go, or is just the surgery best? I know not every cancer is the same, but I remember that he does not recommend even surgery for some cancers, and surgery alone for others. What does Dr. McD recommend for uterine cancer?

Just wondered how it went for you? My wife is facing the same issue, though hers is precancer at this point.

Here is an article I found from Dr. McDougall on the subject
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl/oct/protect.htm
openmind

Postby debknott » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:19 am

Just wondered how it went for you? My wife is facing the same issue, though hers is precancer at this point.

Here is an article I found from Dr. McDougall on the subject
https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2011nl/oct/protect.htm

Thanks for checking in with me all this time later. I have had no reoccurrence, which is good. They took out everything, and while in there they found that it had spread to the cervix, so they took out even more. The radiation left me with very long-term diarrhea, some even today. It's a bummer, but they are trying different meds to hopefully make it stop. I never thought the side effects could last so long. I have been told that only VERY RARE WOMEN (that would be me) :| have this linger on and on, so don't worry about your wife in that regard. The key is to get rid of the cancer, and I have done that! Praise God!
debknott

Return to The Lounge