Have you had the vaccine?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Have you had the vaccine?

Postby Hal » Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:42 am

As a recovered covid person, I'm wondering, does anyone know how long to wait after one recovers from covid before they are no longer contagious and no longer needs to quarantine?
Hal

Postby QubitBob » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:57 pm

As a recovered covid person, I'm wondering, does anyone know how long to wait after one recovers from covid before they are no longer contagious and no longer needs to quarantine?

The following recommendation is straight from the CDC's Website:

For most adults with COVID-19 illness, isolation and precautions can be discontinued 10 days after symptom onset* and after resolution of fever for at least 24 hours, without the use of fever-reducing medications, and with improvement of other symptoms.
QubitBob

Postby Hal » Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:00 am

This is encouraging. Thanks.
Hal

Postby jay kaye » Sun Feb 28, 2021 7:03 pm

Had first dose, Moderna, 4 days ago. Not much is the way of post inoculation symptoms. Slight sore arm for day. Maybe a little tired the next day. Wife had moderated sore arm for 2 days, but I thing that is becasue she is thin.

Injection itself was near painless. Very tiny needle and syringe only had about 1.5 ml load.

J
jay kaye

Postby chrisv » Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:22 pm

I am 69, and had my first Pfizer vaccine last week. Was super excited about this. Just minor arm pain.

A kind person on the Nextdoor Neighborhood board made a web page to scan some of the places that offered vaccines in this state. I looked at that web page every few days and found an available appointment. I had already signed up on a list for a local hospital, and still haven't heard from them, when (if) I do can tell them to take me off the list.

My husband, 63 will be eligible next week. I am assuming it will take weeks to get an appointment for him.

This brought back memories of going to my elementary school with my whole family, one night or weekend. We stood in a long line and were given sugar cubes with the oral polio vaccine. It is a big project to vaccinate everyone, hope it goes fast.
chrisv

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:45 pm

My husband and I had our second shots of Pfizer last Saturday. No pain. We were both a little tired the next day, but that's all.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby vegman » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:45 pm

Susan5 wrote:I doubled checked, on the CDC website, whether or not I should get the second vaccine shot after my allergic reaction to the first shot, and they say individuals should not get the second shot if they had an allergic reaction to the first shot. So, I guess I won't be getting the second shot after all. I thought it was important to pass this information along.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ction.html

According to this news story, "A CDC scientist said Monday that people who have an allergic reaction to the first dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine could get the J&J vaccine instead at least 28 days later." It is not clear that this is an official recommendation from the CDC, or will become one.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/01/cdc-says-jj-covid-vaccine-is-ok-for-people-who-have-allergic-reaction-to-pfizer-or-modernas.html
vegman

Postby Daydream » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:23 pm

My husband and I got our 2nd Pfizer vaccine yesterday. Today we have no symptoms other than a mildly sore arm. We are so impressed with how well organized and efficient they are at drive-up location for the vaccines. You drive through, show your I.D. and vaccine card, roll the window down and they give you the shot through the window. It was quick!
Daydream

Postby pundit999 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:28 am

Wife and I got the vaccine. She got the PFizer and I got the Moderna.
No serious symptoms. Just some soreness in the arm and feeling a bit off.
pundit999

Postby MINNIE » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:06 am

I had my 2nd Moderna 24 hours ago. Very well-organized site. They have you wait 15 minutes before leaving in case of allergic reaction, and give instructions and emergency numbers in case of severe symptoms in the next few days.

My arm was mildly sore yesterday, but that's gone. No other reaction that I've noticed so far. I am very thankful to have this done!
MINNIE

Postby Spiral » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:19 am

I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine a week ago. I will get my second dose in a few weeks. My shoulder was a little sore for a day. But not other bad reactions.
Spiral

Postby KatherineUK » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:15 pm

Booked for Friday morning!
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby geo » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:12 pm

I haven't had the vaccine (64 now) nor do I have plans to take it. I believe (but have not been tested for anti-bodies) that I got covid-19 early on in late January 2020, before the big scare started. I believe so because it was the worst "cold" I ever had and really put me down for a week or more. I can't say the last time I felt sick or had a cold in the last 9 years of McDougalling and being ultra healthy since I started this WOL.

However, I don't fear Covid at all...just take the normal precautions and go on with life as normal. I would rather wait at this point to see which vaccine may be the safest at this point...( I don't like being a ginea pig for vaccines)...went down that road back in the late 70's with the Swine Flu vaccine that all military was forced to take despite the people dying from it. Thats actually my greatest fear...the government or even businesses saying you have to take it or you can't work.

If I have had it then I hope the natural anti-bodies will prove more durable than the vaccine, if not then we will wait...

Right now the J&J vaccine seems to be the only one that has had no deaths associated with it. But the days are early and the numbers haven't spoken yet...

At any rate, please don't listen to me, use your best judgement and don't react based on fear...do your homework and ask questions to those that know.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby PJK » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:06 am

Geo, your post is filled with misinformation.

First, a normal, plain-vanilla cold lasts about a week. So that week-long illness you had? That may have not been Covid-19. To be sure, you should get tested.

Second, people taking the vaccines are not guinea pigs. The vaccines have already been tested extensively and approved (here in the U.S.) by the FDA.

Third, deaths from vaccines? I don't think there has been even one. Most of the so-called reports, when further investigated, turned out to be related to other causes.

"So far, there are no statistical analyses that indicate that coronavirus vaccination has had an increased risk of death among those vaccinated," said Dr. Sara Viksmoen Watle of the NIPH in a Jan. 18 statement. Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/fac ... 508599001/

Fourth, you're old enough to be in a high-risk group. I recommend you reconsider and get the vaccine.

Fifth, complying with the McDougall diet is good, but it will not protect you from a virus.

There's more, but I'll stop here.
PJK

Postby Quinda » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:32 pm

I will have my second one on March 31. Pfizer. I am so happy for it. I am 72.
Quinda

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge