Have you had the vaccine?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Have you had the vaccine?

Postby KillSwitch » Tue May 04, 2021 9:59 am

**FYI - I received my second COVID shot last week Tuesday. That second COVID shot packed a bigger punch than the 1st one. More localized arm soreness and an achy all over body feeling that same day and the next day (Wed) after the shot. I could not sleep Tuesday, but slept ok Wednesday. WTF! The pharmacist said that booster shot is exactly like the 1st shot they give you. It almost felt like I had a bad cold or a very mild case of the flu but no fever, no cough, no sore throat. Just a rundown, lethargic feeling. Strange! On Thursday, I felt completely fine with no soreness or achy feeling anywhere (back to 100% normal feeling).

***The 1st shot only gave me a sore arm at the injection site for 4 days.

* I am glad I am now fully vaccinated. :)
KillSwitch

Postby QubitBob » Mon May 17, 2021 8:03 pm

I had the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday, May 16th. So far no side effects other than a sore arm.
QubitBob

Postby schnyd » Thu May 20, 2021 7:29 pm

John McDougall has many discussion around absolute and relative risk when it comes to medications. I'm not sure why this has been overlooked when it comes to the vaccines.

ARRs tend to be ignored because they give a much less impressive effect size than RRRs: 1·3% for the AstraZeneca–Oxford, 1·2% for the Moderna–NIH, 1·2% for the J&J, 0·93% for the Gamaleya, and 0·84% for the Pfizer–BioNTech vaccines.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanm ... 66-5247(21)00069-0/fulltext
schnyd

Postby OneLeggedPig » Fri May 21, 2021 7:30 am

Here in the UK I think the health service is currently doing people in their 40s. I'm late twenties so a bit of time still to wait, but hopefully not too long...

I'm not likely to be threatened myself by the virus but I want to get it as soon as possible in order to help make others safer, and also for travel reasons.
OneLeggedPig

Postby Mom+Me » Sat May 29, 2021 1:51 pm

Ltldogg wrote:I got my second dose of Pfizer on Friday, 4/9. I did not have any side effects from either dose. I was able to get the vaccines through the Phoenix VA Hospital, which opened vaccinations to Veterans of all ages several weeks ago.

Scott

Thank you for your service, Scott!!! So glad you had no complications/side-effects.
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby Ltldogg » Sun May 30, 2021 2:11 pm

Mom+Me wrote:Thank you for your service, Scott!!! So glad you had no complications/side-effects.

Thank you Mom+Me!
Ltldogg

Postby f1jim » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 am

I finally got my second dose of the vaccine on June 1. No complications from either dose other than a little tenderness at the injection site. Easy peasy.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Trish88 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:46 am

My husband and I got the Pfizer vaccine on April 16th, and waiting to have our 2nd dose on August 6th. We got the 2nd appointment when we booked the 1st. We're in Toronto, Canada, and the schedule here is ~4 months between shots.

I've read it takes about 3 weeks after each shot to have immunity.

For both my husband and I, we only had sore arms for a day or two with the 1st dose. Hopefully that will be the same for our 2nd.
Trish88

Postby americaninca46 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:01 pm

Got my second shot of Pfizer on June 4th. Arm is sore. No fever or aches. Feel tired and a bit foggy. Otherwise I feel good. Happy to be more protected. I think brain fog may be my new normal. Ha ha!! Got a lovely gift of hand sanitizer, dish soap, masks (50), hand soap and surface cleaner. A new cleaning company promoting their products. Made me very happy. Rebia
americaninca46

Postby Dougalling » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:32 pm

Hello

When you get your first shot, your body is not prepared to fight this vaccine (fake virus) in your body.
When you get the 2nd shot, your body is prepared to fight it and it puts up a much bigger fight than when you had the first shot.
If you feel worse on the 2nd shot, it is not a bad thing. It just means that your body is in fighting mode.
It proves that vaccines are working.
Dougalling

Postby KaraH » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:07 am

Yes,I got both doses of Pfizer no real side effects other than I had a nap that afternoon of each dose... must've been my nerves. I still wear a mask when in stores though because I'm pretty sure people aren't following the suggestion that if not vaccinated wear a mask and since the vaccine isn't 100 percent I'd rather not take any risks.... I'm coming back to Dr. Mcdougalls program to lose the last35 lbs.... I can't exercise much at all... major back issues.... hope I can get it off.... stay well yall.
KaraH

Postby openmind » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:31 am

Just curious what everyone thinks about the myocarditis, especially in young men...
openmind

Postby vegman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 pm

openmind wrote:Just curious what everyone thinks about the myocarditis, especially in young men...

The question for unvaccinated males 12-17 is whether the probability-adjusted risk to self and others is higher from from remaining unvaccinated or from getting the Pfizer vaccine. The question for unvaccinated young males 18 and over is whether the risk is higher from getting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine (less effective against Covid-19 but no rare cardiac issues) or from getting one of the mRNA vaccines. (There is no known risk to men from the J&J vaccine save relative inefficacy compared to the mRNA vaccines.)

As a vaccinated older man, I have not deeply looked into it. Unless additional relevant information comes out, it should also have no bearing on whether to get a booster if/when they are recommended; based on current information, I would definitely get one.
vegman

Postby openmind » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:30 pm

vegman wrote:
openmind wrote:Just curious what everyone thinks about the myocarditis, especially in young men...

The question for unvaccinated males 12-17 is whether the probability-adjusted risk to self and others is higher from from remaining unvaccinated or from getting the Pfizer vaccine. The question for unvaccinated young males 18 and over is whether the risk is higher from getting the Johnson & Johnson vaccine (less effective against Covid-19 but no rare cardiac issues) or from getting one of the mRNA vaccines. (There is no known risk to men from the J&J vaccine save relative inefficacy compared to the mRNA vaccines.)

As a vaccinated older man, I have not deeply looked into it. Unless additional relevant information comes out, it should also have no bearing on whether to get a booster if/when they are recommended; based on current information, I would definitely get one.

Yes, but I would add in that it is not only an issue of personal risk but risk to the community. The fewer people that get vaccinated, the more danger to everyone.
openmind

Postby vegman » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:47 pm

openmind wrote:
vegman wrote:

Yes, but I would add in that it is not only an issue of personal risk but risk to the community. The fewer people that get vaccinated, the more danger to everyone.

I agree, and that's what I meant by "risk to self and others."
vegman

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge