Have you had the vaccine?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Have you had the vaccine?

Postby Freya » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:26 am

I just got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine! No soreness or side effects so far, but it was only about an hour ago so too soon to tell. I went to a drive-thru site at Jones Beach. It was very well organized and went very smoothly. I get my second dose on 3/18.
Freya

Postby LesaJax » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:12 pm

Is the vaccine recommended?
LesaJax

Postby Susan5 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:27 pm

I had my first Pfizer vaccine shot today. I was one of the unfortunate people that had a negative reaction to the vaccine. My body was not happy, but we were anticipating my body might freak out because of my immune issues. Hopefully my second shot goes better.
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
~ You can't let go while still trying to hold on.
~ Focus on less...less desire, less obsession, less holding on.
~ "Learn to care less about food."
Susan5

Postby vegman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:14 pm

I got my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine a few days ago. I've had arm pain, noticeable mostly when there was pressure from lying in bed; I didn't notice it until the first night, when I went to bed, and it's diminishing. Otherwise, there have been some subtle, intermittent symptoms that may or may not have been from the vaccine, including initial slight wooziness, which may have been from the poor air quality at the venue, and very mild intermittent nausea and fatigue.

Studies show that most people experience pain at the injection site, and this is the most common side effect. Side effects were lower among people older than 55 (like me) than younger people. Efficacy was similar in all age groups. The latest real-world, large-population study from Israel shows slightly lower efficacy among men than women, but it was still very good.

Due to emerging mutations of the virus, further vaccination may be needed later.

I was lucky to get an appointment; there is much higher demand than supply now with the recent opening of eligibility in my state for those 65-74.

I was able to choose between sites dispensing Pfizer or Moderna. I preferred Pfizer because of the shorter time frame to full vaccination, and the clearer efficacy for older people in clinical trials, as well as strong real-world validation, although it is possible the efficacy of the two vaccines is identical. I wanted to avoid the soon-to-be-approved, less effective Johnson and Johnson vaccine, although if that were my only choice, as it may be for many people, I would have gotten it.
Last edited by vegman on Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
vegman

Postby vegman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:03 am

Susan5 wrote:I had my first Pfizer vaccine shot today. I was one of the unfortunate people that had a negative reaction to the vaccine. My body was not happy, but we were anticipating my body might freak out because of my immune issues. Hopefully my second shot goes better.

The studies show that side effects tend to be stronger with the second shot.
vegman

Postby Susan5 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:59 am

vegman wrote:
Susan5 wrote:I had my first Pfizer vaccine shot today. I was one of the unfortunate people that had a negative reaction to the vaccine. My body was not happy, but we were anticipating my body might freak out because of my immune issues. Hopefully my second shot goes better.

Thanks, vegman. The doctor did explain that to me, but she said that that applies more to the normal, long term reactions from the vaccine, meaning with the first shot people don't tend to feel sick, but with the second shot people tend to feel sick for a day or two. In regards to the immediate immune response though, she said that we won't know how my immune system will react until I get the second shot. She told us there had been about 4 other women who had a similar reaction to me, but not quite as bad, and with their second shot, their immediate immune response was the same, not worse; I could have a more mild reaction, the same reaction, or a worse reaction. I am anticipating the feeling sick part though, just hoping my body doesn't have a worse immediate immune response.
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
Susan5

Postby vegman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:17 am

Susan5 wrote:
vegman wrote:

Thanks, vegman. The doctor did explain that to me, but she said that that applies more to the normal, long term reactions from the vaccine, meaning with the first shot people don't tend to feel sick, but with the second shot people tend to feel sick for a day or two. In regards to the immediate immune response though, she said that we won't know how my immune system will react until I get the second shot. She told us there had been about 4 other women who had a similar reaction to me, but not quite as bad, and with their second shot, their immediate immune response was the same, not worse; I could have a more mild reaction, the same reaction, or a worse reaction. I am anticipating the feeling sick part though, just hoping my body doesn't have a worse immediate immune response.

I would be interested to know more about your reaction to the shot if you would care to share that information. If not, that's fine.
vegman

Postby Hal » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:13 pm

Does anyone happen to know what to expect in terms of response for those of us who have had covid-19 already? Should we plan to have the vaccine when it is available?
Hal

Postby pundit999 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:19 pm

Hal wrote:Does anyone happen to know what to expect in terms of response for those of us who have had covid-19 already? Should we plan to have the vaccine when it is available?

They are reporting that people who had the virus may not need the second dose.
pundit999

Postby Susan5 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:21 pm

vegman wrote:I would be interested to know more about your reaction to the shot if you would care to share that information. If not, that's fine.

I don't mind at all. I had facial flushing, heart racing, tongue and lip tingling, and chills and uncontrollable shaking. Thankfully, I chose to wait a half hour, for monitoring, after getting my shot. At almost the 30 minute mark, I began having my reaction. It lasted for several hours.
Susan5

Postby Susan5 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:25 pm

pundit999 wrote:They are reporting that people who had the virus may not need the second dose.

Oh, really? That's interesting. It almost makes me wish I had caught the virus before I got that first shot! :lol: I guess that's not really true though because I know that some of the long term effects can be unpleasant from getting the virus. Hopefully, the vaccine helps me to avoid actually getting the virus.
Susan5

Postby vegman » Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:08 pm

Susan5 wrote:
vegman wrote:I would be interested to know more about your reaction to the shot if you would care to share that information. If not, that's fine.

I don't mind at all. I had facial flushing, heart racing, tongue and lip tingling, and chills and uncontrollable shaking. Thankfully, I chose to wait a half hour, for monitoring, after getting my shot. At almost the 30 minute mark, I began having my reaction. It lasted for several hours.

Was this considered anaphylaxis? Was it treated with epinephrine?
vegman

Postby Susan5 » Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:58 pm

vegman wrote:Was this considered anaphylaxis? Was it treated with epinephrine?

No, it didn't reach that point, but they did have epi pens, benadryl, etc. on the ready just in case it reached that point, and an ambulance on standby just in case one was needed for anybody who had a bad reaction.
Susan5

Postby Vegankit » Fri Feb 26, 2021 7:35 pm

Vegankit wrote:My husband and I will be getting our second Moderna shot this week. I was so relieved to get the first l can’t wait to get the second in the hope I’ve built up a good protection. The first shot lead to sore arms and mild nausea and headache for me, my husband felt mildly light headed.

I hear the side effects for the second will be worse but I look at it as signaling it’s building immunity.

I wish there was more vaccine to go around, there’s more vaccination sites and volunteers to man them here than there is vaccine.

Both my husband and I had the same reaction to the second. Slightly sore arm and we were very tired and slept a lot the next day. I fell asleep watching TV which was odd.... just couldn’t keep my eyes open I was so sleepy.

I wouldn’t say it was a worse reaction, just different. I’m also glad we didn’t have any activity planned the next day so we could get a good nap in.

If you had Covid, I would speak to your doctor and check the CDC for their recommendations.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby Susan5 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 8:40 am

I doubled checked, on the CDC website, whether or not I should get the second vaccine shot after my allergic reaction to the first shot, and they say individuals should not get the second shot if they had an allergic reaction to the first shot. So, I guess I won't be getting the second shot after all. I thought it was important to pass this information along.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ction.html
Susan5

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge