air fryer

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

air fryer

Postby Quinda » Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:29 pm

What is the best air fryer for us, eating the way we do here. We don't need meat rotisseries obviously but we like to air fry a lot of food at one time, say potato wedges, fries, etc.
Quinda

Re: air fryer

Postby Susan5 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:21 pm

Well, I think it's up to personal preference and budget, but we have the Cuisinart air fryer oven and we love it. We bought ours at Costco.
~ The best thing I did was to break-up with food; it was an unhealthy relationship.
~ You can't let go while still trying to hold on.
~ Focus on less...less desire, less obsession, less holding on.
~ "Learn to care less about food."
Susan5

Postby Tota123 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 4:53 pm

Bought the breville, about $400 but great and would buy again. Sometimes can be found for $350. Cheaper than a stent
Tota123

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:06 am

I've read from others that the Breville Smart Oven Air, the $400 one, is the best if you need to make a lot of food at once. It comes with one air fryer tray but you can purchase more and fry multiple trays at once.

But look around your kitchen and take measurements first to see what you can FIT because that thing is huge and requires a certain amount of space all around it so you don't char the wall or bottom of a cabinet above it.
VeggieSue

Postby curcubit » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:39 am

For what its worth we have this model:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CZZ59CQ/re ... hip_o0_img

we choose this based on reviews and space constraints of our kitchen countertops. It sits angled in the L-corner and uses up the previous hard to reach dead space there. It has a really deep basket...and when I am airfrying veg in the basket I find one of our loaf pans fits perfectly nesting on the top rim and still leaves plenty of room for the vegetables with good airflow. I can then be cooking somthing else in that loaf pan (I did baked beans last night with asparagus in the basket...sooo good!)

Anyway, I love it, and use it almost daily, more efficient and easy than turning on the oven, unless making large quantities. Bean veggie burgers are the best this way!
"One cannot pick a flower without troubling a star." Aldo Leopold
curcubit

Postby debknott » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:16 pm

We already had a 6-quart Instant Pot, so we bought the Air Fryer lid that fits it. It cost $80, works very well and we use it almost every day, sometimes several times a day. We like that it does not add something else to take up space on the counter.
debknott

Postby Spiral » Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:16 am

I bought a restaurant grade potato shredder and an air fryer. Yesterday I made my first batch of air fried potatoes. Fantastic and pretty easy.

I had to use a little muscle while using the restaurant grade potato shredder to make the fries. But putting them in the air fryer and cooking them was easy. :D
Spiral

Postby teresamere » Thu Mar 18, 2021 2:01 pm

Can you make kale chips in it? or do I need a dehydrator for that?
teresamere

Postby f1jim » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:21 pm

We have a Ninja Air Fryer but I can't remember the size. We have found it handy for a variety of "fried" foods. It's our go to for Hash Browns. 20 minutes gives a a very large portion of them.
Kale chips would be fine but like all food items you will soon learn the time and temperature settings that work best for your favorites. Many times it pays to experiment rather than rely on the preprogramed settings.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Langeranger » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:42 pm

Several years ago bought a Black & Decker. It was underwhelming and was soon donated to the “Make a Wish” Foundation. Manage to eat acceptably compliant with the McDougall WOE with a cooktop,a Microwave, and a Convection oven. Good Eatin’, Don
Langeranger

Postby lucidguppy » Tue May 25, 2021 5:03 pm

I just got a Instant Vortex Plus (got it as a gift). It comes with a rotisserie basket. I've had a lot of good luck with it. I don't like butternut squash usually - but in the air fryer they come out like sweet potato home fries. Really loving it. It really makes simple meals taste way better.
lucidguppy

Postby Vegankit » Tue May 25, 2021 5:29 pm

We use our convection oven, works for us and one less appliance.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Return to The Lounge