Any potato tips?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Any potato tips?

Postby lucidguppy » Sun May 16, 2021 3:21 pm

The Doctor always promotes potatoes, I love potatoes - but I don't eat enough of them. Oftentimes the potatoes I get are "B" grade and there's a lot prep time cutting out the blemishes and nastiness. Problem is its hard to get "A" grade potatoes without picking through them.

Do you have any tips to getting the best potatoes out there? I'd really like to just cut down on the prep time but not eat grody bits.

The big russets are nice just scrubbed and popped in the oven. I feel like I have to cook potatoes the moment I get them home, they eye up so quickly.
lucidguppy

Re: Any potato tips?

Postby michaelswarm » Sun May 16, 2021 4:34 pm

In Mexico, I shop between 2 different produce stands and 2 different supermarkets for the freshest potatoes. The markets sell only white and fingerlings. The produce stands also sell dirty potatoes, a starchy potato similar to russets. Prices about $1 per pound. In the tropics-subtropics white potatoes keep ~1 week, and starchy potatoes ~2 weeks.

If in the states try farmers markets, produce distributors, or farm direct. For example, https://www.sunvalleypotatoes.com. Prices appear about $1 per pound.

I usually prep an entire pot and steam in pressure cooker. Refrigerate any extras. Peels of white potatoes, but not starchy potatoes, go in toaster oven to make potato chip strips.

Uses
- oven fries
- mashed potatoes
- shepherds pie
- carrot potato cheesy sauce
- black bean potato tacos
- soups
michaelswarm

Postby Daydream » Sun May 16, 2021 5:32 pm

I recently found an Asian market that was the jackpot for beautiful unblemished Japanese sweet potatoes!! :D I am thrilled. The other potatoes at that Asian market looked really good too. Their prices were lower than regular markets. Maybe see if you can find an ethnic market that has nicer potatoes.
Daydream

Postby schnyd » Thu May 20, 2021 7:32 pm

I've done hash browns in the morning pretty much every day for the last 5 years. This is my current go to:

Potato Hash
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 15 minutes
Serves:4
By Mary McDougall

Ingredients2 large potatoes, peeled and diced1 medium onion, diced1 green bell pepper diced1 red bell pepper, diced1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed1 tsp poultry seasoning1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley or cilantrofreshly ground pepper to tasteDirections
Cook the potatoes in water to cover until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.

Place the onion and green and red bell pepper in a saucepan with a small amount of water. Cook, stirring frequently, until just tender, about 4 minutes. Add corn and cook 1 additional minute. Remove from heat. Add the cooked potatoes, poultry seasoning and pepper. Mix well. Place the mixture in a large nonstick skillet.

Cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat until the potatoes brown slightly, about 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or cilantro. Serve with your favorite salsa or barbecue sauce.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/educ ... otato-Hash
schnyd

Postby lucidguppy » Sat May 22, 2021 5:00 am

Nice recipe!

I usually use the frozen country style hash browns in a panini press for 12 minutes. It comes out consistently good.

Just bought a bag of new red potatoes - and *EVERY SINGLE ONE* had a void in the center. :crybaby: The white potatoes I got were perfect.

I cannot believe how expensive the new tiny potatoes are.

Finally I got a big air fryer that has a rotisserie basket. Its a nice alternative to boiled potatoes. Sweet potato fries done nicely automatically without a single molecule of added oil? Yes please! It feels like cheating.
lucidguppy

Return to The Lounge