Best method for osteoporosis prevention?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Best method for osteoporosis prevention?

Postby human vegetable » Wed May 26, 2021 3:34 am

Any advice on what is the best method for osteoporosis prevention?

The general recommendation seems to be that strength training is the most effective measure, yet there is no consensus on the specific training parameters that are to be employed:

On the one hand, there's the idea that in order to have best results, it is necessary to expose the bones to multiple times bodyweight axial loading - this would mean doing either plyometric exercises or using very high resistance. For several years, a kind of "bio hack" of this kind has been offered by a chain of gyms called "Osteostrong": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaoDswLQKjw

On the other hand, there's the theory that it's the muscles which signal the bones to grow, and in order to trigger this signal it basically suffices to push them near failure, almost regardless of the degree of resistance they are exposed to. That would mean that also lighter training (e. g. calisthenics drills such as free squats or tabletop pushups) could be effective, as long as all sets are taken to near failure. There is also some questioning going on whether the concept put forward by Osteostrong is truly legit, and not just mere marketing hype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3C2QY5Rogs

Both theories seem somewhat convincing to me, and both are probably somewhat effective. But since both concepts are almost contradictory, I would really like to know whether at this point there is one that seems clearly superior according to the current state of knowledge.

Can anybody shed some light on this? Your input would be greatly appreciated!

[I already posted this on Jeff's forum some weeks ago, but he didn't reply. Therefore, I suspect at this point science just hasn't figured out yet which specific measures deliver the most bang for the buck. But who knows, maybe I'm lucky and some of the US-dwelling members have already been to an Osteo Strong gym, so that they can report their personal experience? Or, you have had great success fixing osteoporosis using other methods? Word of mouth has its place, too, especially if there aren't any more objective evaluations to go by...]
human vegetable

Re: Best method for osteoporosis prevention?

Postby VeggieSue » Wed May 26, 2021 3:59 am

human vegetable wrote:[I already posted this on Jeff's forum some weeks ago, but he didn't reply.

You may have posted it while a 12-Day was going on and he didn't see it. Go back and post something as a reply to it, like "Jeff, have you seen this yet?"
VeggieSue

Return to The Lounge