Tofu

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Tofu

Postby dinamariea61 » Thu May 27, 2021 2:27 pm

Hi there!
I usually have 1 ounce of diced baked tofu a day in my salad. Would that be OK to have daily or is that still considered over the limit?
Thank you!
dinamariea61

Re: Tofu

Postby VeggieSue » Fri May 28, 2021 3:36 am

Tofu is a high fat bean product. It's allowed on the McDougall program as a "yellow light" food, meaning in limited quantities, not just because of its high fat qualities but because it's high in protein. Because beans are high in protein, Dr. McDougall limits them to an average of 1 cup a day. Mary McDougall has a number of recipes for sandwich spreads, sauces, & salad dressings using tofu in place of mayo and sour cream in the Recipes section on this site and the books.

So go ahead and have a bit more tofu, if you wish.
VeggieSue

Postby Mom+Me » Sat May 29, 2021 1:39 pm

Hi, dinamariea61--it depends. Personally I do not consome tofu/soy every day, and like VeggieSue said, it is a yellow food (caution) item. But, if by having that 1 ounce of tofu in your salad it helps you eat a daily salad, it may be worth it! Also, you don't have to answer this publicly if you don't want, but how is your health? Are you following the McDougall Program to maintain excellent health? Then 1 ounce of tofu--if that's the only high-fat plant food you eat everyday + no animal products/by-products, or free oils--then you'd probably be okay. But...if you have elevated cholesterol, blood glucose, body weight, etc., I wouldn't eat an ounce of tofu every day.

Are you familiar with Dr. McDougall's Color Picture Book? You can see it here for free: https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/cpb/

Just wondering, do you use salad dressing? If so, what do you usually use?
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Postby PJK » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Less than 1 oz of tofu? No, I'd say you could eat much more.

Google tells me that 1 oz of tofu is about 75 calories. To stay healthy, you need a lot more than that. And that salad is probably also quite low in calories.

Also, of course, tofu is made from beans. Beans are a starch. And this is a diet based on starch. QED.
PJK

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:32 pm

PJK wrote:Less than 1 oz of tofu? No, I'd say you could eat much more.

Google tells me that 1 oz of tofu is about 75 calories. To stay healthy, you need a lot more than that. And that salad is probably also quite low in calories.

Also, of course, tofu is made from beans. Beans are a starch. And this is a diet based on starch. QED.

Not exactly.

Tofu is a high fat food (45-50%) and as such, counted as a “rich” food, not a bean, and all rich foods are limited (as are beans)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to The Lounge