Age over 90

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Age over 90

Postby sligg1 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:33 pm

Does Dr. McDougall keep a database of McDougaller's who have reached 90 plus and/or 100 plus eating the McDougall diet?

The McDougall diet is superior to any of the five Blue Zone diets. Especially the Mediterranean countries where olive oil is so dominant. If that is a fact, then McDougaller's should outlive the Blue Zones.

I go back a long way following a plant-based diet: Nathan Pritikin (1956), Adelle Davis (1970), Paavo Airola (1971),
John McDougall (1983), Dean Ornish (1993).

As a McDougaller, I'm probably in the top five in longevity at 95 years old and it looks like 100 is a strong possibility. The sadness of getting old is that my generation, growing up in New York City, are all dead, not one of them living to at least 90.

The other sadness is that the world population will never adopt a plant-based diet. Even in my extended family, not one person will give up on the Standard American Diet (SAD).
Salvatore Liggieri
sligg1

Re: Age over 90

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:56 pm

Check this out and also click the link in it

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61303&p=620480#p620480

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Re: Age

Postby sligg1 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:08 am

Jeff,

I remember you well in my visit to the McDougall 10 day program at Santa Rosa, the year was 2012. You were articulate, knowledgeable, and funny.

It's sad that with the increased knowledge base for the value of a plant-based diet, America sinks deeper and deeper into obesity and poor health hell! The American health care system is not only bankrupt but also corrupt.

Sal Liggieri
Salvatore Liggieri
sligg1

Re: Age

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:40 pm

sligg1 wrote:Jeff,

I remember you well in my visit to the McDougall 10 day program at Santa Rosa, the year was 2012. You were articulate, knowledgeable, and funny.

It's sad that with the increased knowledge base for the value of a plant-based diet, America sinks deeper and deeper into obesity and poor health hell! The American health care system is not only bankrupt but also corrupt.

Sal Liggieri

Thank you! I remember you too! We had a great group!

I agree with you. From my perspective, the problem is human nature, which does not seem to be changing anytime soon.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby f1jim » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:31 am

I agree its us battling human nature. Not that there aren't lots of companies willing to exploit this condition.
But, we are creatures built for survival in a much different environment living in the land of plenty.
The answer is to know and understand this paradox and adapt. Something we are also great at doing.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Dougalling » Sat Jun 05, 2021 3:35 pm

Hello

Congrats on being a McDougaller for so long :D
You could start a thread for 80+ or 90+ McDougallers.
You might find new friends.
Dougalling

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:25 am

sligg1 wrote:Does Dr. McDougall keep a database of McDougaller's who have reached 90 plus and/or 100 plus eating the McDougall diet?

The McDougall diet is superior to any of the five Blue Zone diets. Especially the Mediterranean countries where olive oil is so dominant. If that is a fact, then McDougaller's should outlive the Blue Zones.

I go back a long way following a plant-based diet: Nathan Pritikin (1956), Adelle Davis (1970), Paavo Airola (1971),
John McDougall (1983), Dean Ornish (1993).

As a McDougaller, I'm probably in the top five in longevity at 95 years old and it looks like 100 is a strong possibility. The sadness of getting old is that my generation, growing up in New York City, are all dead, not one of them living to at least 90.

The other sadness is that the world population will never adopt a plant-based diet. Even in my extended family, not one person will give up on the Standard American Diet (SAD).

Congrats on making it to the 9th decade of life, sligg1. When did you start eating like this? Do you have any medical problems now at age 95? Describe the things (diet staples) you typically eat on a daily basis?

Thanks for your post.

* Unfortunately, Many ppl will never give up SAD. Even ppl who adhere mostly to WFPB nutrition (like me) have occasional lapses in healthy diet. That is a fact, like it or not. My hope is that medical science will one day figure out how to still keep all of us healthy eating some of these toxic foods. IOW, cheat using human intelligence for those who refuse to change. The animals and the planet will still suffer but perhaps we can alleviate some of the human suffering caused by eating things that taste good that are not good for us.
KillSwitch

Return to The Lounge