Microwaves and cooking vegetables: any tips?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Microwaves and cooking vegetables: any tips?

Postby lucidguppy » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:36 pm

So I tried out microwaving carrots with a "microwave steamer". It did not turn out well. 1 minute was not enough - 2 minutes was overcooked.

Do you have any tips to share? I'm looking to use the microwave for frozen vegetables and fresh too. I'm really looking to simplify as much as possible. Doing pretty well with the air fryer and potatoes - but it would really stretch the prep time if I had to use it for both potatoes and veggies.
lucidguppy

Re: Microwaves and cooking vegetables: any tips?

Postby Vegankit » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:15 pm

lucidguppy wrote:So I tried out microwaving carrots with a "microwave steamer". It did not turn out well. 1 minute was not enough - 2 minutes was overcooked.

Do you have any tips to share? I'm looking to use the microwave for frozen vegetables and fresh too. I'm really looking to simplify as much as possible. Doing pretty well with the air fryer and potatoes - but it would really stretch the prep time if I had to use it for both potatoes and veggies.

Maybe 1.5 minutes is the right time? You might need to fiddle with your timing.

I’m going to suggest halfway through cooking, use a spoon to complete redistribute the carrots. I scoop and flip all the carrots then continue cooking. It helps get an even cook. You might need to do this twice.

I don’t steam my fresh carrots; makes them taste watery. I rinse my carrots, then cut them up and place in a corning ware container with a lid then microwave. The moisture on the carrots plus the liquid carrots release when cooking is enough. I think technically I am steaming but with very little water.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby lucidguppy » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:36 am

I just tried out this and it worked really well with my 1250 watt oven.

Sistema plastic microwave steamer.
One small pack of <carrot, cauliflower, broccoli> medley.

I put the oven on 50% power and microwaved for a cumulative time of 5:30 (I checked a few times during cooking). I'm sure that if I did it continuously - I'd need only 5:00 minutes. Carrots were only a little bit rubbery - the rest was great.

This is going to make meal prep so much easier. Once these are cooked I can toss it with some rice and beans - or just have it as a side to a stack of air fried sweet potatoes.

Dr. McDougall really had a good tip when he reemphasized simplicity in his potato talk a couple weeks back. Keep it really simple. That way you don't have excuses that you don't have time to cook, or figure out what to cook. And I know I'm a MWL individual, I cannot have breads or pitas (I just overeat them).
lucidguppy

Postby dynodan62 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:08 pm

Many have switched from microwaving in plastic (toxic chemicals), to using a glass bowl instead (with a loose glass cover). I typically buy only frozen veggies, and add an ounce or so of water. 6 min on high for broccoli (large single serving), and a bit more for carrots (I like them soft). Cut up red potatoes & frozen green beans (complete meal) takes 13 min.
I recently nuked a large bunch of fresh asparagus with the same technique. It turned out FANTASTIC! Tasted like it was sautéed in oil.
Haven’t hardly used my oven or range in years.
dynodan62

Postby f1jim » Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:37 pm

It really is a process of experimentation with every different microwave oven. Even ones of the same power rating can have significantly different cooking times.
I always hate changing machines as I have to relearn cooking times.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to The Lounge