New web site

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

New web site

Postby deweyswakms » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:29 am

Love the new web site. Just wish the Forums were at the top of the page, instead of at the very bottom. That's all.
thanks, Marsha
start weight 210 on 7/25/14; MWL recommit 7/2019 weight 197. 6/11/2022 weight 165.0. Height 5'8".
deweyswakms

Re: New web site

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:53 am

Ditto, the new website looks really great. Kudos to the webmaster on the facelift. I do not mind scrolling all the way to the bottom to click on the forum link. The forum looks good too. Anything new just takes a little time getting use to. We get comfortable with familiar. Updates and upgrades are not always immediately appreciated until some time has elapsed and we become accustomed. :D
KillSwitch

Postby Ron4310 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:35 am

Not at all fond of the remake of the web site.
Ron4310

Postby Freya » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:32 pm

It's REALLY hard to find the forum on the new site.

Why isn't there a link to the forums at the top? I may have missed it, but it seems like you have to go to the main page and then scroll all the way to the bottom to find the forum. Why would anyone do that? I only did it because I was searching for the forum.
Freya

Postby Freya » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:51 pm

Ron4310 wrote:Not at all fond of the remake of the web site.

I hate it, but I follow Adrian Monk's adage: "Don't change anything ever." :lol:
Freya

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:13 pm

Freya wrote:

I hate it, but I follow Adrian Monk's adage: "Don't change anything ever." :lol:

LOL Freya....I was also use to the old forum layout and thought it was wonderful. The new forum part looks smaller and things appear more square than rectangular. They need to place one link at the top of the new site linking the forum in addition to the one at the bottom. IMO, most ppl come here for the forum and not to read the website. There should also be a link at the top and bottom of the forum that links back to the website. Hopefully, Dr. McD will take some of these criticisms into consideration, but then again, maybe not. LOL
Last edited by KillSwitch on Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KillSwitch

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:21 pm

PS - Lots of things are still missing. Hopefully, they are still tweaking and this is not as good as it is going to get.
KillSwitch

Postby KillSwitch » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:28 pm

I will say I am really happy to finally see this on the new HOME webpage. When you say all or nothing, that turns some ppl away. Kudos!
KillSwitch

Postby Ron4310 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Freya wrote:

Yup. I've always had the saying in my life, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Ron4310

Postby susie » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:34 pm

KillSwitch wrote:Ditto, the new website looks really great. Kudos to the webmaster on the facelift. I do not mind scrolling all the way to the bottom to click on the forum link. The forum looks good too. Anything new just takes a little time getting use to. We get comfortable with familiar. Updates and upgrades are not always immediately appreciated until some time has elapsed and we become accustomed. :D

I agree! I have been on this website for a decade or so and change takes time. I like the main pages and the forum looks much the same.

It’s the content that counts!
susie

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:18 pm

It's hard to find the forum. A new person would not even know what "the forum" was. It needs to be more visible and more accessible. The forum what kept me going when I would otherwise have given up. This is where I met friends for life both in my own local community and in other countries.

The home page is nice, except for that.

I hope there is a link somewhere to the old newsletters. They had some really good recipes.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby KillSwitch » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 am

The newsletters are there but I had to do a Google search to find them.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/newsletters ... 2002-2017/
KillSwitch

Postby KillSwitch » Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:29 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:It's hard to find the forum. A new person would not even know what "the forum" was. It needs to be more visible and more accessible. The forum what kept me going when I would otherwise have given up. This is where I met friends for life both in my own local community and in other countries.

The home page is nice, except for that.

I hope there is a link somewhere to the old newsletters. They had some really good recipes.

You can get to all the newsletters via the new forum Homepage but it is not blatantly obvious.

You can also type in newsletters in the search field after clicking on the search icon on the top right of the homepage.
KillSwitch

Postby Vegankit » Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:56 am

I have the forums bookmarked so I never see the main page - I had to google to discover what people were talking about.

KillSwitch wrote:I will say I am really happy to finally see this on the new HOME webpage. When you say all or nothing, that turns some ppl away. Kudos!

I agree, this statement is very effective and reaches and welcomes more people, but makes it clear for best results follow the plan.

I also was surprised that the forums were not at the top - that needs to be corrected. I"m not sure why it was decided to have newbies scroll all the way to the bottom to find it.

Most new comers wouldn't explore that far. They would assume there is no forum which is a shame because the forum helps people over the hurdles of changing their way of eating. It's a good place to hide a link to a resource you don't want people to find. I've never seen any website hide the link to their forum. It would be different if the forum was private, then hiding it down there makes sense.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 pm

KillSwitch wrote:I will say I am really happy to finally see this on the new HOME webpage. When you say all or nothing, that turns some ppl away. Kudos!

As long as I have known Dr Mcdougall, that has always been his/our message. It’s the message we taught at the 10-Day Live-In Program and now at the 12-Day. Personally, I have posted a jpg of my first newsletter from 1988 and take the same position in my response in the Q&A.

You can find it broken down into some specifics here.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2009nl/dec/nyr.htm

The problem is, many (if not most) people who do find us, are very sick with advanced issues and want the results they have seen and/or heard about very quickly.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Next

Return to The Lounge