Is it safe to eat cold rice and potato

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Is it safe to eat cold rice and potato

Postby Alycia 123 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:22 pm

Is it safe to eat cold rice and potatoes (left overs)from the fridge
Alycia 123

Re: Is it safe to eat cold rice and potato

Postby lucidguppy » Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:42 pm

I eat cooked cold potatoes all the time. Cold rice to me has a bad mouthfeel and is dry to me. I would reheat that - but it should be safe to eat I think.
lucidguppy

Postby Daydream » Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:49 pm

I have eaten cold cooked potatoes many times. I have eaten cold cooked brown rice (when traveling) and I am OK with it but prefer it warm.
Daydream

Postby ArkaTekK » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:33 pm

Sometimes I like potatoes cold, but rice does feel dry like that to me lol
ArkaTekK

Postby Vegankit » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:50 pm

Sure, why not?

I love cold oven baked sweet potatoes and I’ll eat cold white ones in potato salad and other dishes.

Cold rice is tasty in sushi, but by itself as others point out the texture is a little dry…better for eating with stir fries and curries which have some sauce.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby barryoilbegone » Tue Oct 19, 2021 4:32 pm

I'm definitely a fan of both - it was amazing to rediscover after a long time away (I'd forgotten somehow!) how good cold potatoes can be in potato salad or the like.

Also really like rice salads at times now too - but obviously be aware of leaving rice out too long out the fridge (more than half a day, after it's been cooked); or over a day or so in the fridge, for listeria or other issues - especially with the white rice.

Cooked brown rice definitely does a lot better keeping in the fridge for a while than white (even up to a week, if your fridge is clean). You obviously need to re-heat it up thoroughly, and just the once again.

Craving potato salad now... :))
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby Dougalling2 » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:25 pm

" Eating cold or reheated rice increases your risk of food poisoning from Bacillus cereus, which may cause abdominal cramps, diarrhea, or vomiting within 15–30 minutes of ingesting it ( 9 , 10, 11 , 12). ... Thus, cold rice may still be contaminated even after being cooked at high temperatures "

I usually freeze any leftover rice and eat it within 2 or 3 weeks.
Dougalling2

Return to The Lounge