Can I eat too much plant protein?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can I eat too much plant protein?

Postby gardenguy » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:56 pm

I am sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I am new to this.
I have been eating WFPB now for about 3 months.
I used to eat a paleo diet upon my doctors recommendation. My doctor told me that I was close to pre-diabetic and I did not want that to happen so I checked my blood sugar 2 hours after every meal on that diet for about 4 months. I could not eat starch or fruit because it would spike my blood sugar but fat and meat did not so indulged in that.
Then, I came across Dr. McDougall and many others who suggest a plant based diet to combat type 2 diabetes, so I have been trying that eating plan. I have ignored my blood sugar these last 3 months trying to let everything normalize first before I go back to checking blood sugar again.
I don't need to diet. I am a 64 year old male. I teach all day and then walk about 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 miles after that at a very fast pace. I am 136 pounds, so I am trying to eat at least 2200 calories a day so I don't loose more weight. Not eating meat or dairy has not bothered me a bit. I have more energy eating the starches.
My biggest question is- Can I get too much plant protein. I am eating no meat, dairy or extra fat. I am consistently eating about 20-30 grams of total fat a day, 3-6 saturated fat a day, 60-90 grams of fiber a day and 60-90 grams of protein a day. I don't see how anybody can say that you can't get enough protein eating WFPB!!
I don't want to unknowingly hurt myself trying to eat right.
Thank you. Tim
gardenguy

Re: Can I eat too much plant protein?

Postby barryoilbegone » Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:28 pm

In theory, yes - although on the McDougall plan it's extremely unlikely, unless you're taking on large amounts of legumes, or tofu/tempeh/seitan, or manufactured isolated plant protein products like isolated soy or wheat protein burgers (not part of McDougall program anyway). Or if you have serious kidney damage or kidney vulnerabilities already. See:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2003nl ... rotein.htm

Nuts being very high protein, and large consumption of these, I suppose also could do it as well given their relative high protein content: but these are an Amber food in the program, and not meant for anything other than light, moderate consumption.

Sad by the way your doctor previously was actively recommending Paleo, with incorrect understanding of diabetes it seems. Feel free to then write concerns (not necessarily complaint) about this to their governing body. I say this because many doctors have obviously been totally indoctrinated by industry, the drug companies or misguided medical tutors from the past still, in addition to any self-justification of their own habits if present. They deserve the chance to change their practise, if ignorant.

If you want to put anything in writing, obviously feel free to put in links to Dr McDougall's work, and/or the likes of Neal Barnard's, Dean Ornish's etc.

You're not trying to hurt yourself - just the opposite! Well done for making the change.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby spirilis » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:26 am

Major respect to Dr. McDougall for this series btw-

McDougall Mastermind - Protein - Part 1:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KvyAylxBkQ

McDougall Mastermind - Protein - Part 2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjsAK_a-oLY

This was an eye-opener for me. I've been eating more protein than I need for years, and have noticed symptoms (mostly in the urine, and frequency of urination) that are not life-threatening (already seeing a nephrologist for them) but seem to improve a bit since cutting out the animal meats. It also occurred to me that most of my "philosophy" of food, and why I've never tried vegetarian diets in the past, centered around this question of protein. I highly recommend watching McDougall's series as he really rewrites the story many of us have held in our heads on protein.

TL;DR - Humans appear to be special among mammals, in that we don't need all that much protein. This reflects in the breastmilk, but appears to hold true as adults as well. We don't grow as aggressively as other mammals.
spirilis

Postby gardenguy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:51 pm

spirilis, I want to thank you for your help. I have watched those two videos and they have been most helpful too. I ate about 60 grams of protein today, all animal. I eat a large portion of oatmeal in the morning. I eat about a cup and a half of beans throughout the day, a cup of rice or quinoa, a vegetable soup and other miscellaneous proteins. It is hard not to eat 60 grams of protein a day and consume at least 2000 calories so I don't loose weight. It seems weird since most people are trying to loose weight. Thank you again.
gardenguy

Postby gardenguy » Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 pm

barryoilbegone, thank you for your reply also. Dr. McDougall's newsletter was also extremely valuable to me. I think that I may have consumed too much beans, peas, and lentils. I am going to eat more rice, corn, potatoes, sweet potatoes, breads, and pastas. It is ironic that those are all the things that I couldn't eat before because they would spike my blood sugar.
It has been 3 months now of the WFPB diet, low fat version (20-30 total grams/day) Last time I had my A1c checked it was 5.69, with the doctor saying that 5.7 was pre-diabetic. I had it checked last week and it was 5.3. Yes!!! I thought about adding a 1/4 cup of walnuts a day back into my diet and then check again. I decided not to.
Thank you again for your help.
gardenguy

Return to The Lounge