Question about Bisphosphonates

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Question about Bisphosphonates

Postby Pinkaboo » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:31 pm

Hello, I have been following Dr. McDougall for years, and I am hoping that someone can either clarify something for me or direct me to where I might be able to find the information I need. Unfortunately, I need to figure this out soon, I think.

I have a history of breast cancer. Originally diagnosed in 2002, full mastectomy, fairly substantial lymph node involvement. I received six months of CEF Chemotherapy, 16 radiation treatments and was prescribed 5 years of tamoxifen (I only managed about two or three years before the side effects just became too much for me and I stopped taking that). Shortly after diagnosis, I adopted a McDougall type diet, sometimes venturing into a Fuhrman style diet but overall, I think pretty good. And it seemed to be working for me pretty well.

This past March, the cancer was discovered to have come back in my bones in my spine, scapula and skull. But no involvement beyond the bones found (liver, lungs, etc.). Since that time, they have put me on Anastrozole and Ibrance. It has been pretty awful, knocking the energy right out of me and I have struggled really hard with my appetite, even wound up in the emergency at one point with dehydration, I was such a mess. But since then, I am eating better, and learning to roll with this low level of energy that I am left with. Until this past week, when I ran into an issue that goes completely against what I believe Doctor McDougall would advise, and I really need to understand his position.

Because of the Anastrozole being very hard on the bones, there is a big concern around osteoporosis. And it turns out that coincidentally, I broke my wrist about five years ago and at that time, my family doctor had ordered me a bone density test. That test showed osteoporosis. For some reason, nobody told me, so I had been going through my life these past five years feeling like I was just fine and the fact that I broke bones on a couple of other occasions was just bad luck.

So at this point, my cancer doctor is pressuring me hard to get started on a bone strengthening medicine called Pamidronate. He first wanted to put me on an oral version called Clodronate, but because nausea is a common side effect and I struggle so much with my appetite as it is, it seemed like the monthly injection option would be better.

Either way, these are both powerful bisphosphonates, and I have seen Dr. McDougall speak against ever using these kinds of medications.

The problem is, that I am not sure what he recommends as the alternative. The aromatase inhibitors I take are killing the estrogen in my body that would normally be protective and taking this is only going to accelerate the process unless I can find a smart way to mitigate that. Last bone scan showed that I had fractured a rib (I think from walking the dog one day, so it seems that I am a bit fragile). My doctors are getting very frustrated with my resistance to not just go along and do what I am told, but I just don't want to make a big mistake that I will regret later.

I am taking a supplement called Osteo-K, which is really great, but probably not enough by itself. I was pretty good at exercising regularly before this all started, but for the past year, approx., that has gone out the window. Its hard for me many days to muster up the energy to take a shower, much less go and walk around the neighbourhood or whatever. I take Vitamin D and own a Vitamin D lamp (I live in Canada) and my naturopath is working with me in that regard. But I don't know if she has any real solutions beyond taking a few extra vitamins.

I live in Canada, but I would be happy to pay for a consult with a doctor who is versed in a McDougall style approach to this kind of issue. And maybe my case is just too far along. Maybe it has reached the point where bisphosphonates are my only real option as my doctors seem to think. But I just don't want to go there if I don't need to. On the other hand, I feel like this is not a good situation where I am starting from, so I gotta do something!! I just don't quite know what that is!

Can anyone help me?
Pinkaboo

Re: Question about Bisphosphonates

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:39 pm

You poor baby! I totally get where you are coming from. I have osteoporosis and have declined meds. I do not have breast cancer, but a friend of mine does, and is in a situation similar to yours. She also has MS, and in her particular situation, she chose to have the infusions.

I would suggest two things for you:

1. Consult with Loren Fishman, MD, out of New York, who treats osteoporosis with yoga and is conducting a clinical study about it. I'm in that study. He does recommend drugs for some people but is also very good with alternatives. He is available for video consults, and the costs are reasonable. His website is http://www.sciatica.org.

2. You might want to consider taking the McDougall 10-day program, (also available on-line). You can get most of the same information for free on this website, but if you take the program, you get personal consults with Dr. McDougall or Dr. Anthony Lim. Neither are experts in osteoporosis, but they are still very helpful.

Happy New Year, and I wish you all the best.
Vanilla Orchid

Return to The Lounge