Preparations for Omicron

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Preparations for Omicron

Postby lucidguppy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:28 am

I don't know if this topic popped up yet - but I'm hearing Omicron will shut things down again. Just a lot of people isolating etc.

I plan on grocery shopping fewer times to minimize infection (I'm boosted though).

What worked or works for you when you bulk buy for the McDougall plan. The only stuff I have to buy more on the regular is lettuce and potatoes. These two things just don't last in the house (not enough space for them, I eat them a lot, they eye up).

Did a bidet help you keep your TP usage down?
lucidguppy

Re: Preparations for Omicron

Postby michaelswarm » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:15 am

If only so called public health authorities had advised people to get serious about real health, cut animal and junk foods, and eat real whole plant foods, like Dr McDougall has recommended for over forty years, most people would have reversed their chronic diseases and be trim and fit by now. They would have little to worry about since suffering and mortality is limited to the sick and fat. Imagine hospitals actually empty because people stopped having heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, cancer, etc.

But no, so here we are again.

Our normal routine keeps an extra week of starches in the pantry, since except for fresh potatoes, rice, beans, pastas and flours keep for months. With that and frozen vegetables there is always an extra week or two of food on hand, if we wanted to run down the pantry.

However, here in Mexico groceries have remained well stocked even with toilet paper, and panic seems much less.
michaelswarm

Postby MINNIE » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:59 am

I was expecting something like a third of even fourth etc. surge, so I never really relaxed my social distancing, face covering or travel behavior that much. I did relax my panic shopping reflex though.

For the first quarantine, I did the same kind of volume shopping as everyone else.
I am still using some of the paper products, pasta and rice I bought then:).

Considering I live within walking distance of four super markets and a few smaller groceries, I think I am going to stick to my normal shopping patterns.

I like to have about a month's worth of pasta, rice, and canned/frozen vegetables on hand, even in more normal times.

I am more concerned about the rise in food prices that the actual quantitative food supply. Due to drought, wildfires, labor shortages and other challenges, the western states where a lot of produce is grown have less to sell and must charge higher prices. Moving the produce coming from Mexico is more expensive for growers, so that may be factor.

It's not a problem for me at this time, but I am noticing higher prices for potatoes and sweet potatoes. They're still cheap though. Since that's the bulk of my calories I'm better off than all the people who may be paying sky high prices for the meat and dairy they think they need.

Maybe it will be an incentive for them to eat smarter - who knows?
MINNIE

Postby Daydream » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:01 pm

lucidguppy wrote:
Did a bidet help you keep your TP usage down?

My adult son who lives an hour away from my house raves about his bidet!!! He said it has significantly cut down his toilet paper usage and has made the bathroom experience more pleasant.

Yes, it's harder to keep lettuce and fresh veggies during times of lockdown.
Daydream

Return to The Lounge