I did a search on Robert Lustig..

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

I did a search on Robert Lustig..

Postby patty » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:27 pm

Aloha to Everyone!!!

My son.. his family it seems in the near future isn't going vegan. It is not going to happen no mater how much i mirror, wish etc. I saw Robert Lustig on a YouTube interview with Chef Aj. In the comments someone said they thought it was nice to see adults communicating where they found points where they agreed and respect disagreed. I downloaded his book, "Metabolical The Love and Lies of Processed Food, Nutrition and Modern Medicine". One of the book reviews, had said he was neutral being vegan or ketol, the common enemy being Big Food & Big Pharma. I think it would be a good book for my son.. who is going to do keto again.. and doesn't understand it can't be done for life. I know for myself practicing this WFPB lifestyle didn't happen overnight, and I owe so much gratitude to this site. Sometimes we don't know what we don't know.. and being able to voice what we don't know allows a shift in perception to know what we don't know.

Patty
patty

Re: I did a search on Robert Lustig..

Postby Daydream » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:43 pm

Hi Patty. You have been gone a long time. I've missed reading your posts.

My 3 adult kids want nothing to do with my McDougall diet. It saddens me that they eat an unhealthy Standard American Diet but there is nothing I can do about it. They are not interested in reading any of the books I have read on a whole food plant exclusive diet. It would be great if your son is open to reading that book.
Daydream

Postby lucidguppy » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:37 pm

You never know who will be receptive to the message, nor what series of events will trigger a change. It would be really nice to understand better these mechanisms.

At certain points in peoples lives they're receptive to the message. The trick is to cast a wide net. Once 15% of the population adopts a healthy plant based diet - then it becomes a trend and adoption goes up much faster.

I heard that stating that a plant based diet is *trending* more than ever - people want to be main stream - and will like to be what the main stream *will* be. Stating that WFPB - will - be the new mainstream, its actually more convincing than a lot of well thought out arguments. There's plenty of stats on google for that.

Also meat is just getting way more expensive these days. I don't think that's changing anytime soon. Losing weight on Keto is way more expensive than starch.
lucidguppy

Postby JeffN » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:46 pm

JeffN

Postby patty » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:09 pm

Thank you\Mahalo for everyones replies. I hear each of you with feeling.

In one of the articles Jeff posted where the point of 5% sugar, 2 tablespoons equaling 100 calories are the daily amounts/restrictions he recommends and I have tried to followed. In Robert Lustig's book he shares the reason fruit works is because of the fiber vs. processed food, juices etc. there isn't any. One of the articles Jeff mentions is his Q & A"S really clarifies this:

Q & A’s
Fructose, Sugar, Obesity and You!

https://jeffnovick.com/RD/Q_&_As/Entrie ... d_You.html

QUESTION: What about fruit? Isn’t fruit mostly fructose?

Fruit is OK is because it has way more fiber than fructose. The fiber in fruit slows down the absorption of glucose, fructose, and fatty acids from the gut, while increasing the rate of transit which helps to trigger the satiety signal earlier. 

This is important because the rate of fructose absorption determines how fast the fructose will hit the liver. The faster it reaches the liver (since the liver has a fixed capacity for extraction and metabolism), the more likely the liver will be overwhelmed by the excess and that more will end up as liver fat, causing insulin resistance. 

The fiber in fruit limits the volume of fructose consumed (through its high satiety) and the rate of absorption, thus sparing the liver.

In other words, enjoy your fruit. :) "

In questioning my son what he can eat on his keto diet, he limits root vegetables, grains and fruit. I think it has to do with the sugar, counting carbs like a Adkins diet? Of course in my opinion the oil/fat is the core addiction. You just have to look at the way Adkins died, per Proteinaholic by Dr. Garth Davis. Robert Lustig throws a lot of wood into the fire.. if my son catches the harm of processed food the book will be worth it.. if he reads/listens. I have given him all the McDougall books and others in the past and of course.. appears the were never acted on. At my being 78, his desire is for me to live with him and his family.. but after staying with them for six weeks while some construction was being done with my condo.. I am too frighten because of the way they eat. There home is like a food swamp .. food desert. Robert Lustig saying no to processed food is start. The clarification for me is how much sugar and what kind/fiber. thanks/mahalo to Jeff.
patty

Postby Mom+Me » Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:49 pm

I agree with Daydream, patty, it is so nice to once again hear from you!  You always add so much and I hope you will continue to visit and post--hint, hint--ha, ha.

Your love for your son and his family is obvious!  I think getting Robert's book for him is great, and I really hope it can be a bridge for you and he to meet so eventually he'll get off of meat, too!

Thanks for pointing out what Jeff said about fruit.  It's like you know these things, but then kind of forget them, so it was a clear reminder for me, too, and of course thanks to Jeff for posting it in the first place!

Take heart, patty, like lucidguppy said, you never know when something may trigger a big, positive shift in one's life. And until then, just try to disassociate any food your son eats with your love for him.  As mentioned, we are all on a journey and things hit us at different times.  Keep the faith!  :-)
"Eat your heart out (of trouble)!"--Dr. John A. McDougall
Mom+Me

Return to The Lounge