Pandemic Fat?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Pandemic Fat?

Postby Silvafox » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:01 am

I've been McDougall-ing for years, lost over 100 pounds, years back, and have kept it off by simply eating starch, shunning fat and sugar and eating vegetables....things have been going very well until these last couple of months! This morning I realized that a bit of fat is slipping into my way of eating.... The phrase "The fat you eat is the fat you wear" popped into my head followed by "connect with the message boards" (which I seldom do). It's possible the reason is from all of the awareness of the pandemic. Normally I don't even think about adding fat to anything I eat.

So my question is, to all of you experienced folks, "What was the most powerful Fat Fact in your discovering the McDougall way of eating? The outstanding thing about eating fat that caused you to give it up for good/for your health?" I don't need an encouraging lecture from anyone, just a line or two that caused you to let go of adding fat to anything. And, as long as I'm asking questions, "Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?"

Looking forward to some insights.

Debra
Silvafox

Re: Pandemic Fat?

Postby MINNIE » Sat May 07, 2022 3:08 pm

Hi, Silvafox.

The thing that made me stop adding fat to food (or eating naturally high fat foods like nuts and avocados) wasn't exactly one thing.

But somewhere in my reading of Dr's McDougall, Esselstyn and Barnard, I finally GOT that fat in my food - even the supposedly beneficial olive oil- was going to KILL me.

Knowing that there is no safe kind or quantity of added fat in food (at least not for me) was all it took.

I'm now in my 10th year of McDougalling, and have never gone back.

P.S. Re pandemic fat, almost everyone I know who is a SAD eater has gained weight. I ate more often when isolating at home, but it was all vegetables and fruits. So I'm still the same size as pre-pandemic. Of course, they don't believe it's the food :(.
MINNIE

Postby Drew_ab » Mon May 09, 2022 9:49 am

https://youtu.be/aUaNDDuqmCs?t=1154

"All large populations of trim, healthy people, throughout verifiable human history, have obtained the bulk of their calories from starch.:"

The video above is linked to that part in the lecture. Notice it doesn't say that they obtained the bulk of their calories from fat? The entire lecture is one of my favorite is worth watching several times over. As much as it is a medical argument, it's also a historical/anthropological argument.
Drew_ab

Postby Drew_ab » Tue May 10, 2022 11:37 am

By the way, the Dr. McDougall Health & Medical Center Youtube channel posted this relevant video today titled Is there such thing as "healthy" fats?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yv_0uXUtxg
Drew_ab

Postby curcubit » Fri May 13, 2022 8:05 am

Greetings Silvafox,

For me, it is all about calorie density. I could have a small handful of nuts or a huge bowl of steamed veggies or two pieces of fruit for the same calories. I do not find fat satiating, but volume does fill me up. This is even more true for oils. A tbsp of oil adds so many calories! I would much prefer to eat some low calorie density food (and cups of cups of it!) then some fatty liquid that just leaves me wanting more.
"One cannot pick a flower without troubling a star." Aldo Leopold
curcubit

Return to The Lounge