Beyond Sugar

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Beyond Sugar

Postby Silvafox » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:02 am

Kicked the Sugar Habit almost four years ago but have continued to use honey and maple syrup, also dates.

I'm at goal weight and doing fine, but I'm wondering if getting rid of these more natural sweeteners would improve my health even more.

Anyone have a similar experience and/or any input?
Silvafox

Re: Beyond Sugar

Postby barryoilbegone » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:01 pm

Well, given we're with the Starch Solution here, is it probably a stretch to call either maple syrup or honey as "natural?" That seems like marketing talk. They're still processed and refined products, and aren't entirely whole foods (a.k.a. plant foods grown from the ground). Maple syrup is sugar syrup by and large, separated from the tree's natural fibers, water etc. Honey is the stored food for bees, not humans - it's something we inevitably have to steal from their hives for use, which has caused lots of problems of its own.

Dates appear far closer to a whole food, but a concentrated source of calories of course in large doses - helpful for gaining weight, or endurance athletes, from the McDougall Colour Picture Book. Probably if you're looking for weight loss, you restrict these sweeteners - but if you're at ideal weight and doing fine, use of a little from time to time isn't going to make a whole lot of difference.

Only difference would be if sweeteners trigger you to eat too much I'd guess, or if there's any "sugar rush" sensitivity, diabetes vulnerability etc. Otherwise, hopefully enjoy a little to help the medicine go down - those beautiful starches :cool:
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby MINNIE » Sat May 07, 2022 3:15 pm

I can't add much to that, except to say that if you experimentally stop using sweeteners for a while, you may not miss them at all.

I decided to quit using any form of added sweeteners when I began this WOE. I was doing it mainly for dental health reasons, which may not pertain to you. But once I stopped using them I didn't miss them, and started noticing all the natural sweetness already in vegetables and fruits. Now when I think about maple syrup or honey, they seem kind of gross and not something I would ever crave.
MINNIE

Postby Drew_ab » Mon May 09, 2022 8:12 am

A few things come to mind. First and foremost, congratulations on your success - it sounds like you have a lot to be proud of in committing to this way of eating and lifestyle - keep up the good work. Personally, I do not normally consume honey or maple syrup. I don't have a problem if someone following the McDougall diet (or another healthful WFPB plan) consumes them in small quantities to help with adherence or for simple pleasure. Having said that, when one consumes those foods you are missing the opportunities to consume even healthier foods.

For example, suppose your daily caloric needs are 2500 and you consume 100 calories of added sweeteners. This represents 4% of your calories (which is borderline high, but possibly acceptable depending on the overall dietary pattern). I just think that consuming 100 calories more of something like berries, broccoli, beans, or virtually any whole unprocessed plant food is going to move your health in the right direction while 100 calories of sweetener is not. Just my opinion and the though process I apply...
Drew_ab

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed May 11, 2022 2:17 pm

Drew_ab wrote:A few things come to mind. First and foremost, congratulations on your success - it sounds like you have a lot to be proud of in committing to this way of eating and lifestyle - keep up the good work. Personally, I do not normally consume honey or maple syrup. I don't have a problem if someone following the McDougall diet (or another healthful WFPB plan) consumes them in small quantities to help with adherence or for simple pleasure. Having said that, when one consumes those foods you are missing the opportunities to consume even healthier foods.

For example, suppose your daily caloric needs are 2500 and you consume 100 calories of added sweeteners. This represents 4% of your calories (which is borderline high, but possibly acceptable depending on the overall dietary pattern). I just think that consuming 100 calories more of something like berries, broccoli, beans, or virtually any whole unprocessed plant food is going to move your health in the right direction while 100 calories of sweetener is not. Just my opinion and the though process I apply...

Drew_ab, thank you for your post! I have been clinging to an item that I am certain Dr. McDougall would consider "vegan junk food" and part of my reasoning has been "it's not many calories." I appreciate having a new way to think about this, and perhaps arrive at a healthier decision about it.
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Return to The Lounge