moving to Santa Rosa - looking for recommendations!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

moving to Santa Rosa - looking for recommendations!

Postby Matcha » Thu May 19, 2022 11:22 pm

Last edited by Matcha on Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matcha

Re: moving to Santa Rosa - looking for recommendations!

Postby pundit999 » Fri May 20, 2022 6:55 am

Hi Erica
Don't have any advice about Santa Rosa but was wondering if the town has been rebuilt after the fires.
pundit999

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:35 pm

How are you doing in Santa Rosa? I would have thought there would be a lot of people who could give you advice about the area. We live in Pacifica and spend a lot of time in the Mendocino area, so we do pass through Santa Rosa a lot. My husband's cousin lives there, so she would be a good resource for you. If you would like to PM me, I can put you in touch.

There used to be a number of restaurants there that had McDougall compliant meals, but a lot has changed since Covid.

There are definitely a lot of plant based people there. Getting together is not as easy since Covid though.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby YvonneJ » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:00 pm

I know Heather mentioned she was complying an up to date list of Santa Rosa compliant restaurants as it's changed a bit during the pandemic, maybe an email to her would end with some results.

@Vanilla Orchard.....I have a small place in Mendocino and also in the Bay Area, so back and forth. Have you found any places you like to eat there? I know Fogeaters and Stanford Inn, but wonder if you have any other recommendations for when I meet a friend out for a meal. I just started this program so can tell you many good places there, but def not compliant :crybaby:
YvonneJ

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:31 pm

YvonneJ, Stanford Inn is by far my favorite. I have not eaten at Fogeaters, but looked at the menu and it appears to be pretty high in fat. Tell me if I"m wrong on that.

One of my favorite places is Frankie's Pizza. In addition to pizza they serve a wonderful falafel plate and the falafel is baked, not fried. They also have a quinoa cake plate that is pretty good. Their soup of the day changes but is always vegan. They will also make you a vegan pizza. We ask for it without the vegan cheese, and all the vegetables they can find.
We also discovered The Brickery, just behind Cafe Beaujoules. They have a vegan pizza of the day, and it comes without cheese. It's always really, really good.

The Mendocino Cafe has a couple of good vegan dishes--both noodle soups. I think one is called the healing bowl. The other one is something spicier--can't recall the name.

There is a Thai restaurant at The Company Store on Mainstreet in Fort Bragg where you can get something made with little or no oil.

We'll be cat sitting in Fort Bragg end of November through Mid-December. PM me if you'd like to get together!

Where do you live in the Bay Area?
Vanilla Orchid

Return to The Lounge