disenchanting myths

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

disenchanting myths

Postby t-eddy » Mon May 30, 2022 12:01 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm doing a schooling for becoming a certified nutritionist. In their scripts they emphasize healthy fats and tell the students how too much carbohydrates would turn to fat. Anyway, they are quite enthusiastic about MCT oils, saying that the length of the chain will make it impossible for the body to be converted into body fat and the body would rather use MCT oils as a source of energy. MCT oils stimulate the metabolism and lower cholesterol, so they say. But they also suggest to get used to them slowly because they could irritate the gut.
Personally I don't use oils anymore. I am a committed McDougaller - but even though I don't believe MCTs are a valuable part of the diet, I don't have the background knowledge to argument against their thesis. I don't mean to argue with them - I just like to know better for myself.
So if you know what these MCTs really do, I'd love to learn more.
Best,
Kira
t-eddy

Re: disenchanting myths

Postby QubitBob » Mon May 30, 2022 8:35 pm

I'd never heard of MCT oils until your post, so I had to look them up to see what you are talking about. This article (https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/mct-oil-benefits ) gave a good background. As soon as I read that they are supplements I just shook my head. All of the doctors whose advice I follow--Dr. McDougall, Dr. Ornish, Dr. Esselstyn, Dr. Barnard, etc.--emphasize the diet for optimum health is a low-fat, whole-food, plant-based diet. They generally stress staying away from supplements except for vitamin B12. To me, MCT oils sound like the dietary "fad of the month". Last month was the carnivore diet, this month it is MCT oils, next month will be something different. I prefer sticking to the advice of real physicians with many decades of experience helping thousands of patients regain their health. I don't think you can buy health in a bottle at your neighborhood drugstore.
QubitBob

Postby veggiecat » Tue May 31, 2022 5:43 am

Which school are you attending?
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby JeffN » Tue May 31, 2022 6:04 am

JeffN

Postby barryoilbegone » Tue May 31, 2022 8:39 am

Thanks Jeff!

He's (in my opinion) one of the world's greatest registered dieticians. Part of that is he's well schooled from what I've seen of his talks on the science, and scientific method, analysis and reasoning.

This isn't sadly true for all dieticians, and nutritionists. Depending on the institution, they can vary greatly on this front. Depending on the ethos of the course and its instructors, sometimes the sources and references used I've seen on some courses can be questionable at times, and outright poor science held up as good science, at worst.

I'd look then very closely how much they pay attention they give to (or do they even incorporate) the findings of Dean Ornish, Neal Barnard, Caldwell Esselstyn, T. Colin Campbell, John McDougall, Walter Kempner etc. If they don't, be wary, and cautious - as you probably know, many instructors don't like or hold up the idea of WFPB and starch centred eating, because it conflicts with their own practise and habits.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby Dougalling2 » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:06 am

Hello
Look up Dr Esselstyn's " NO OIL " youtube video. It's a short 12 minutes that packs a punch !
Dougalling2

Return to The Lounge