Hello, long time away

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hello, long time away

Postby Ruff » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:48 pm

Hello, I used to be a regular member of these boards, but vanished as the computer was taking over my life! I lost around a hundred pounds, give or take, with The Starch Solution 10 years ago. Since then I have been having a great time, taking up trail running, and hill tramping here in New Zealand. I have finally binned my 'big clothes' keeping just 1 shirt and 1 pair of pants to remind me if necessary.

About 3 weeks ago I did the Mt Oxford half marathon, as I am in my 60th year, and lame (I have drop foot) it took a while but I finished in 6 hours and 5 minutes. The weather was appalling with wind gusts well over 100kmh, and I actually got blown right over twice. The 'trail' was a mess of mud, rocks and tree roots, very steep and slippy. When I finished I said Never. Ever. Again!!!

However. Last night my husband and I entered next years race...and also another one in October, the Mt Somers race...which is even harder!

I would not be doing this if I was still an obese woman with a BMI over 35. And I have the Starch Solution to thank for that. Dr McDougall gave me my life back and I couldn't be more thankful.

Now I have retired, I have more time and I hope to be here a little more, and hopefully can help others on their journey. Believe me, it might be hard at times but it is oh so worth it. And it gets easier and easier as you travel this road.

So thank you Dr McD, and thank you to the friends I made and the people who helped me during my big weight loss, here on these boards. And I hope I can help some others do the same now.
Katie

My testimonial. viewtopic.php?f=13&t=38433
Ruff

Re: Hello, long time away

Postby AlicefromBelgium » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:27 pm

Hello Katie,

Congrats on your journey.

So how long have you followed Dr Mc Dougall WOE ?

I am still a beginner and struggling with processed food available at home but I want to get there.
I am also a triathlete. I don't have weight to loose but I believe in the benefits of the WFPB diet.
AlicefromBelgium

Postby Daydream » Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:00 pm

Welcome back, Katie!
Daydream

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:13 am

AlicefromBelgium wrote:Hello Katie,

Congrats on your journey.

So how long have you followed Dr Mc Dougall WOE ?

I am still a beginner and struggling with processed food available at home but I want to get there.
I am also a triathlete. I don't have weight to loose but I believe in the benefits of the WFPB diet.

I started McDougall towards the end of 2012.

Triathlete! How do you fuel yourself...I still have not got this worked out.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:13 am

Daydream wrote:Welcome back, Katie!

Thank you
Katie

Ruff

Postby Artista » Mon Jun 06, 2022 9:18 am

Welcome back, Katie! Thank you for sharing this inspiring update to your story!
Artista

Postby pundit999 » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:00 am

Welcome back Katie.
I also joined in 2012. I just never left :-)
This change in diet has served me well to reverse my heart disease and myriad other ailments I never thought will ever go away.
pundit999

Postby Ruff » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:14 pm

pundit999 wrote:Welcome back Katie.
I also joined in 2012. I just never left :-)
This change in diet has served me well to reverse my heart disease and myriad other ailments I never thought will ever go away.

Hi Pundit! I remember you from before, and so many other people are here too. :D Jim, Lyndzie, Buns and a number of others as well. Its good to be back.
Katie

Ruff

Postby Lizzy_F » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:06 pm

Hi Katie! I am so inspired by your post! I am inspired by all of the "long timers" here on the forum who like you, have PROVEN that (lengthy!) time & adherence to the Starch Solution approach a) produces excellent health results and b) is possible! Congratulations on your success and your accomplishments, and thank you for making your way back here to help and inspire others.

I struggled for YEARS off and on, to get solidly on the Starch Solution program, and stick to it. For whatever reason, "time and adherence" proved illusive. In May I went through the McDougall 12-Day Program and it was life changing. I can't even put my finger on what exactly made that experience different (since Dr. McDougall and also Jeff Novick, Dr. Lisle, etc. make their information available through inexpensive books and other free vehicles). But for me, something clicked into place and I recently surpassed a full month of 100% compliance. That has just NEVER happened before in the years of struggle.

So I would love to connect. I would love to have your support. I would love to know how you get through challenging situations and thoughts, and continue to follow the plan for life. I look forward to reading your story and getting to know you better!

Beth
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:40 am

So thrilled for you! And so happy you are back on the forum. When I first joined this was a lively, friendly place, and the past few years, it got pretty quiet.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Ruff » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:03 pm

Hi Beth and Vanilla. Yes, Vanilla, is has got kind of quiet around here. When I popped in randomly I saw a post from Trinity in her journal saying that as it had been quiet maybe we should all post a little more so had made a journal. I followed suit, and Trinity said the suggestion had come from Jeff Novik originally. So I made a journal, so people can see what living long term the McDougall way looks like.

Beth....so glad you made it to a 12 day, and it has helped things click. Good luck and huge congratulations on the full month of compliance.

And just to show us long timers can STILL make rookie mistakes.....yesterday I was really hungry after going swimming, and wanted food quickly. I had some left over 3 bean chilli which I had with some leftover cabbage. I was still hungry so I had another bowl, this time without the cabbage because it had all gone. And I was STILL hungry!!!! What on earth was wrong with me? Then I was like....err where is your starch you silly woman! So I popped a potato in the microwave, 15 minutes later it was ready and I poured the last of the chilli over it as a sauce (there was hardly any left at this point) and I was soon blissfully satisfied. Its STARCH solution, not cabbage and chilli solution!
Katie

Ruff

Postby landog » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:34 am

Ruff wrote:Its STARCH solution, not cabbage and chilli solution!

Beans are a starch, right??

...and welcome back, Katie! :)
landog

Postby KatherineUK » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:07 am

Welcome back !!! And congrats on your marvellous achievements. McD changed my life too - amazing isn't it? Met some lovely people through this website too xxx
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby SilverMtns » Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:10 am

In ten years, when I'm in my 60s, I want to make a post like this, about how it's been 10 years and going strong.
SilverMtns

Postby glo » Tue Jul 05, 2022 7:39 am

A wonderful and encouraging story. Thank you so much for posting.
My return is the opposite… but I hope it’s not too late to get smart! :) - Glo
Always learning! — glo
glo

Next

Return to The Lounge