DR McDougall right again: Vitamin D supplements are useless

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

DR McDougall right again: Vitamin D supplements are useless

Postby pundit999 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:54 pm

Dr. McDougall has been recommending against Vitamin D supplements for years. Also against the Vitamin D tests.

And he goes beyond what this study says: there is harm if you take this supplement.

So, for the millions of Americans who take vitamin D supplements and the labs that do more than 10 million vitamin D tests each year, an editorial published along with the paper has some advice: Stop.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/27/health/vitamin-d-bone-fractures.html
pundit999

Re: DR McDougall right again: Vitamin D supplements are usel

Postby f1jim » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:48 am

This report is everywhere in the news.

https://consumer.healthday.com/vitamin- ... 66569.html

Millions spent on supplements doing no good.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Werner » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:36 am

Supposedly there are other effects of Vit D deficiency such as fatigue, mood disorders, etc. Do Supplements help at all for others of these conditions? Have studies been done to test for those issues that you know of? We who live further North (northern ON for me) are routinely told by doctors to take Vit D supplements because of our lack of sun.
Werner

Postby Ejeff » Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:32 am

Also many studies related to covid, those with low D according to blood tests do much worse. I take vitamin D as I feel the benefits outweigh the risks.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby debknott » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:35 am

My husband and I both take D3 and Zinc. These are helpful in avoiding Covid and in helping the body fight Covid if one should get it.
debknott

Postby rickfm » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:52 pm

I've also been supplementing with D and Zinc as precautions against C-19. There is strong evidence that it helps.

The Vitamin D Paradox in COVID-19 and Why It Predicts But Doesn't Always Protect

Dr. Roger Seheult at the MedCram Youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eEyWlbToI4

I've had Covid. Felt like a raspy chest cold for a few days, that was it.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby pundit999 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:19 am

Could not watch the whole long video but
It seems to say that vitamin d of course is important but trying to increase blood vitamin d levels by supplementation does not work.

I think this is what dr mcdougall also says. Go outside in the sun to get vitamin d or store a lot in the summer months by doing the same.
Another thing that is recommended if getting outside does not work: get the Sperti lamp and expose your skin for 5 min daily

I remember dr mcdougall abandoning the vitamin d tests after his wife Mary tested low even after she had been in the sun for long periods

May be Jeff or Jim can provide some context and summarize?
pundit999

Postby rickfm » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:24 am

pundit999 wrote:Could not watch the whole long video but
It seems to say that vitamin d of course is important but trying to increase blood vitamin d levels by supplementation does not work.

I watched it again. That wasn't exactly the one I was thinking of, but it's actually even more relevant.

The main point he's making in that video is that vitamin D is not the only benefit of sunlight. NIR, Near Infrared Radiation is also extremely important due to it's intracellular melatonin producing ability.

The suggestion is, that melatonin may be the real heavy lifter in reduced Covid-19 complications.

Jump to 13:10 in the video for an in depth discussion on the evidence of melatonin produced in the mitochondria and it's benefits.

Bottom line is still the same... sunlight is good for you. :cool:

Oh, and I should probably add... I did get the Moderna double jab last year. I gave in because I was high risk - over 60 and obese. That may have had something to do with my mild C-19 symptoms. :duh:
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby pundit999 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:46 am

Oh, and I should probably add... I did get the Moderna double jab last year. I gave in because I was high risk - over 60 and obese. That may have had something to do with my mild C-19 symptoms.

Me too. I have received three full shots of Moderna. And one half shot. Lots of side effects after each :-(
But have avoided Covid until now. Hope it stays that way.
pundit999

Postby debknott » Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:56 am

My husband and I got the two Pfizer vaccines but ended up getting covid anyway. I think the vaccines are worthless.
debknott

Postby rickfm » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:09 pm

pundit999 wrote:Me too. I have received three full shots of Moderna. And one half shot. Lots of side effects after each :-(

Sorry to hear about that. I only got the two initial jabs. Had no side effects at all. Not even any soreness at the injection site. I only noticed a little tenderness when I rubbed the area.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Return to The Lounge