Anyone have experience on the carnivore diet?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Anyone have experience on the carnivore diet?

Postby frocco » Thu Aug 11, 2022 6:22 am

I have been watching many videos about the benefits of just eating meat. Do you think there is any truth in this?
People are claiming it changed their lives, loss weight, feel better.
Regards,
Frank
frocco

Re: Anyone have experience on the carnivore diet?

Postby Ejeff » Thu Aug 11, 2022 7:12 am

I don’t think there is truth in it. Many people following this starch way of eating have mentioned how they tried the keto type diets. Sure they may work in the very short term to lose weight, but that doesn’t mean it’s a healthy way to eat. If you want permanent weight loss you need to eat in a way that can be done for the rest of your life. Plus if you eat only meat you aren’t getting vitamins, how can this be healthy at all? Stop watching videos of people that claim meat is great, instead watch some videos on this site of the success stories.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby pundit999 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:53 am

Eating animal products long term is very bad.
Your body becomes acidic and organs have a difficult time getting toxins or excesses of derived chemicals out of the body.
Give yourself 3 months and eat this way 100%.
You will have all proof you need.

Animal products cause cancer , weak bones , autoimmune diseases which are impossible to overcome .
Just wight loss short term is worth it? being in a perpetual starving state through keto, does it make sense to you?
It is very clear to me . But you need to do your own research.
pundit999

Postby barryoilbegone » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:17 pm

I actually e-mailed a question around this subject, submitted to Dr McDougall.com. on Monday for consideration hopefully for the new Sunday chats Dr M and Mary are doing each week on YouTube.

I do think this topic needs some serious consideration. We are having now even celebrity influencers, like Jordan and Mikhaila Peterson, swearing by this, and increasing numbers of people it seems looking to this as a rescue for serious health problems. I have no plans to come away from WFPB living myself, but it is noted that some people seemed to have gone towards the carnivore diet, after coming away from vegan and raw plant food diets - or even starch based (whatever their version of that was) I seem to recall once or twice. They report it being better than those.

This is becoming a then critical issue, and it needs comment.

These people seem to not just be short term keto/Paleo, given that some adherents have been reporting many months, or even several years. So what exactly is happening to them biologically needs explaining and understanding more, if at all possible - especially to newcomers of different diets that are not the Standard American Diet, who are looking for better health.

Dr McD, and Jeff - hope then you're reading this or my e-mail. This is a big one that will keep coming back, unless we give answers to the masses.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby frocco » Thu Aug 11, 2022 12:57 pm

I agree and think this should be discussed more. The videos I was watching was not just people talking about their experiences, but actual doctors describing the benefits. I have since changed my mind about doing this as my wife was very upset about what it could do to my health, had a heart attach in 2020.

I guess I am gullible. :-)
Regards,
Frank
frocco

Postby pundit999 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 1:52 pm

Frank
It is much easier to convince you as you have actually had a heart attack and you are likely not a 20 or 30 something who feels invincible (lol)

The only diet that has been proven by good science to prevent and actually reverse heart disease is a a complete whole plants only diet with no added oil. Period.
No evidence of reversal or prevention on any other diet!

So for you . Please listen to your wife (lol)

I used to think high fat fish is good for your heart, that animal protein does wonderful things to your body etc, until I almost fell from an elliptical in the gym and then failed the subsequent stress test. A minute away from getting a sure angioplasty , I somehow had the good sense to do research and find the real way to handle my disease.
That was 10 years ago.
Still here. Still no angioplasty
pundit999

Postby michaelswarm » Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:05 pm

Simon Hill has addressed this question on his podcast a couple of times. Essentially, not good long term.
Have heard of iron poisoning in individuals, and kidney issues.
michaelswarm

Postby VegSeekingFit » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:11 pm

frocco wrote:I agree and think this should be discussed more. The videos I was watching was not just people talking about their experiences, but actual doctors describing the benefits. I have since changed my mind about doing this as my wife was very upset about what it could do to my health, had a heart attach in 2020.

I guess I am gullible. :-)

Hi Frank! :)

Just stop being gullible!! Ignore non-scientific information!! Who the HELL cares if some YouTube influencers think that we should just eat meat only??? Seriously??? Thinking that this is neither scientific or the right answer to heal what ails you... Don't look for some excuse to eat bad things..

I would expect that Nobody here is going to propagate this meat diet....

If you look at some earlier threads that you posted, people (Like JeffN even) were trying to help you with how to manage your diet to handle heart disease... Personally would 100% recommend MWL ... which has helped me immensely... No meat, dairy, oil --- 000... Get some starches and some produce... Period... Done... I bet you will feel 100% better.

I hope that this may ring a bell with you and that you may fully change your diet to help yourself feel better (NOTE: partial measures do NOT work, just go "all in")...

I totally am wishing you the best!!

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby frocco » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:12 am

They sounded so convincing with their stories.
A doctor stating that there is no proof that not eating meat is any better and that the plant based diet is just another method for making money.

But I diffidently will not go that route.
It is going to be hard to stop eating meat again.
Like everyone said, I need to give Dr. McDougall's method a try and see how I feel.
Regards,
Frank
frocco

Postby QubitBob » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:33 am

There is a fellow named Chris MacAskill who makes videos promoting a whole-food, plant-based diet, primarily through his Plant Chompers channel on YouTube, but he also makes them for other groups as well. His videos are some of the most informative and well-made you will ever see. Chris has a background in science; he studied geophysics at Stanford, and he has worked at a number of high-tech companies including Apple.

It often takes Chris many months to make a video because of the meticulous research he conducts for each one. For instance, in preparation for the videos he make critiquing books by Gary Taube and Nina Teicholz, he tracked down every reference cited in the books to see if the authors were accurately representing them.

Chris made a series of videos critiquing some of the most popular books and advocates of the low-carb, keto, and carnivore diets. I will provide links to these videos below. I urge frocco and anyone who may be interested in these diets to watch these videos to get a better understanding of the shoddy science and misrepresentation behind the claims of these advocates.

Video critiquing the Carnivore Code diet by Dr. Paul Saladino: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0flQ_5sDMn4

Video critiquing Gary Taubes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtLNHvC4aUw

Video critiquing Nina Teicholz: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkqWdY5_2-8
QubitBob

Postby frocco » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:31 am

Thanks for the links, will check it out.
Regards,
Frank
frocco

Postby Taggart » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:02 am

When Friends Ask: “Why Did You Quit Meat?”
Updated September 24, 2021

By John McDougall, MD

https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/in ... it-meat-2/
Taggart

Postby frocco » Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:40 pm

Thank you
Regards,
Frank
frocco

Return to The Lounge