Oldest

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Oldest

Postby cluwal894 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:24 am

Am I the oldest Mcdougaler?

On August 18, I turned 96 and have followed the McDougal program for over 50 years. There is a strong possibility that I will live past 100 as my health is reasonably good. I recently healed from a broken shoulder that did not require surgery and I'm back to normal function.

I still can't find a WFPB doctor in the NYC area.

Salvatore Liggieri
cluwal894

Re: Oldest

Postby Daydream » Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:21 am

Salvatore, I think you might be the oldest person in this forum, which is inspiring! How did you first learn about the McDougall diet? I wish I had known about McDougall's diet 40+ years ago when I was raising my children.
Daydream

Postby DynoDan » Sat Aug 20, 2022 12:43 pm

Wow. That’s likely way before the first Pritikin book was published (?). How did you first discover the program?
DynoDan

Postby cluwal894 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:26 am

I'm Italian and got tired of eating what my peasant mother would cook: Cheese, and more cheese and then more cheese.

I got interested in a new diet as written by Paavo Airola and from there came Dean Ornish and John McDougall. It had not been easy back then and 50 years later, it still is not easy. In 50 years no one in my family has made the change though they are all dead.

And yet with all the dietary advances, the WFPB diet will never become main stream.

EAT ANOTHER POTATO!

Sal Liggieri
[email protected]
cluwal894

Postby dleviton » Wed Aug 24, 2022 4:53 pm

Sal, You are my hero.
Live long and happy.

Dan'l
dleviton

Postby MINNIE » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:59 pm

Bless you, Sal.

I think EAT ANOTHER POTATO should be the 11th commandment.
Maybe it already is:).
MINNIE

Postby Lizzy_F » Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:46 pm

Happy belated birthday!! What an inspiration you are. I wish I had started the McDougall way a lot sooner (I'm a newbie since May of this year) but I'm loving potatoes one day at a time! Best of health to you!
Beth

"Long-term sustainable change is what we are really after." ~Jeff Novick
Lizzy_F

Postby landog » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:13 pm

cluwal894 wrote:EAT ANOTHER POTATO!

I don't mind if I do! Thanks, Sal!
landog

Postby darad » Tue Sep 27, 2022 5:37 pm

I got interested in a new diet as written by Paavo Airola and from there came Dean Ornish and John McDougall. It had not been easy back then and 50 years later, it still is not easy. In 50 years no one in my family has made the change though they are all dead.

Wow, that's quite an achievement. Congrats and happy birthday, Sal. I have to agree an extreme few will convert to WFPD, and not until they have a life threatening event and have the insights of this group. So many big butts at stores and grocery, young and old. Sad. "My wife does the cooking, friends all say!"

There are zero WFPB doctors in So San Jose/Los Gatos area. No money in that specialty, with few regular visits for issues. I lean toward Dr Hiromi Shinya's version of WFPB, which allows some wild fish in limited amounts and frequency. It didn't seem to raise TC, but actually lowered it.
darad

Return to The Lounge