Almond Milk vs Soy Milk

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Almond Milk vs Soy Milk

Postby hallelujahgirl » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:10 am

Which plant milk does Dr McDougall recommend. Is one more beneficial than the other?

Thank you,

Carol
hallelujahgirl

Re: Almond Milk vs Soy Milk

Postby pundit999 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 1:35 pm

I think plant milks from the grocery store are all frowned upon: they are processed foods that we should ideally avoid.
But almond milk without any added sugar (about 30 calories per serving, 1 cup?) is a much better choice than soy milk which is typically more than 30% fat.
And regardless we should not consume cups and cups of these milks. A bit here and there as condiments is ok
pundit999

Postby Taggart » Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:12 am

hallelujahgirl wrote:Which plant milk does Dr McDougall recommend. Is one more beneficial than the other?

Thank you,

Carol

Dr. McDougall has a list of acceptable packaged foods including milk substitutes:

https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/fr ... ged-foods/
Taggart

Postby DynoDan » Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:04 pm

pundit999 wrote:I think plant milks from the grocery store are all frowned upon: they are processed foods that we should ideally avoid.
But almond milk without any added sugar (about 30 calories per serving, 1 cup?) is a much better choice than soy milk which is typically more than 30% fat.
And regardless we should not consume cups and cups of these milks. A bit here and there as condiments is ok

I got into the habit of buying unsweetened/organic soymilk (to use only as a condiment), since it usually had the least additives, and I had decided ‘soy’ was likely a more beneficial food source. More fat, true, but that is usually what makes a tastier condiment (IMO), and the amount I use is virtually insignificant regardless.
DynoDan

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Oct 16, 2022 11:03 am

Read the labels. I buy both soy and oat milk and occasionally, but not often, almond milk. I only buy these if they contain soybeans, almonds, or oats and water with nothing else. I think they are all fine. Soy milk works well when I'm looking for something that imitates cows milk. Oat milk has a texture kind of like skim milk, which is ok to put on cereal, or add to a baked goods recipe that calls for milk. Almond milk is more for when I have guests who might prefer it. Matter of taste.

Do not buy the stuff that's sold as "barrista" plant milks. They usually have added oil and they foam better. You won't be needing that.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Keepyerplantieson » Sat Oct 22, 2022 2:47 pm

As Vanilla Orchid said, read the labels. Around here, the only unsweetened milk that doesn't contain oil (!) is soy milk, so that's what I buy. I don't drink it, but do use it in certain soups and other recipes. I'm not sure why manufacturers think anyone wants to drink oil - I find the idea quite repugnant. If they didn't adulterate their plant milks with oil, I'd probably try oat milk or almond. But at this time, soy milk is the best choice available to me.
Keepyerplantieson

Postby bunsofaluminum » Tue Nov 08, 2022 2:51 pm

I prefer oatmilk, and I really prefer my own homemade in a blender ... no added anything. All you have to do is shake it really good before using. For me, the only use is to put on my breakfast cereal (grape nuts and meusli). It is a 4:1 water to old fashioned rolled oats ratio. works well, and zero added fat. And lower fat than homemade almond milk. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Return to The Lounge