Let's get this board active again

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Let's get this board active again

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:29 pm

A few of us have commented on the lack of activity on this board. I don't post as often as I used to, and I don't check the board as often as I used to. Why? Since it was re-configured, it's not as active and as many have mentioned, it's really hard to find if you are new to the site. So, fewer people find it and there are fewer posters. Some of the old posters probably can't find it and have given up. Wish that could be fixed.

Anyway I took a look at the "Meet the members" topic in the Lounge and started reading the most recent postings to see if there were any new people out there. Then, I looked back at my own (third from the top), and I realized a lot had changed since I posted that, and it might be a good ideal to update it.

I'll be doing that, and I hope others will too. I genuinely care about the people have met through this program. I recently attended a professional conference and met a McDougaler from New York at mealtime. We noticed that we had made pretty much the same selections from the buffet and got to talking. Who knew?

I have found that making supportive friends has been key to my successes.

I look forward to hearing from old friends and making new ones.
Vanilla Orchid

Re: Let's get this board active again

Postby Daydream » Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:05 am

Vanilla Orchid, I miss the people that used to post in this forum many years ago. It would be nice to hear from them again!

I've been eating the McDougall diet for 10 years. My husband and I are the only ones in our family who eat this way and none of our friends eat the McDougall diet. So it's really nice to read posts in this forum from people who eat like we do.
Daydream

Postby A Balloon A Balloon » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:41 am

I've lurked the forums for a while without joining, and have eaten this way for about seven years - Dr McDougall's videos actually taught me how to eat properly when I became vegan :) I'm at the start of my thirties, in the UK, and now at university studying to become a dietitian - without Dr McDougall and Jeff Novick I really don't think I would have developed this interest and decided to go for it.

I think the forums are a little bit on the hidden side - but there's a huge amount of useful information and experience on here, and it's nice to know people with similar ideas.
A Balloon A Balloon

Postby Chumly » Wed Oct 26, 2022 1:55 pm

I would love it if this board became more active again! I only check it once or twice a week now because there is so little activity. The MWL board is the most active, I wish there was a group that was focused on the regular McDougall program that was as active!
I will introduce myself.
My name is Michael. I am a single 52-year old man living in the Atlanta, Georgia area. I have been following this WOE at least partially for over 10 years, but never seem to make any long-term gains. I need to lose at least 50 lbs. I have been at a stable weight for these 10 years. I enjoy hiking, biking and I work as an Engineer.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Daydream » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:54 pm

A Balloon A Balloon wrote:I've lurked the forums for a while without joining, and have eaten this way for about seven years - Dr McDougall's videos actually taught me how to eat properly when I became vegan :) I'm at the start of my thirties, in the UK, and now at university studying to become a dietitian - without Dr McDougall and Jeff Novick I really don't think I would have developed this interest and decided to go for it.

I think the forums are a little bit on the hidden side - but there's a huge amount of useful information and experience on here, and it's nice to know people with similar ideas.

A Balloon A Balloon-- you are soooo lucky to have found Dr. McDougall in your early 30's!! I'm now 67 and I didn't know about Dr. McDougall until 10 years ago. I wish with all my heart I had known about McDougall many decades ago when my husband and I were raising our three children.
Daydream

Postby Daydream » Wed Oct 26, 2022 3:55 pm

Chumly wrote:I would love it if this board became more active again! I only check it once or twice a week now because there is so little activity. The MWL board is the most active, I wish there was a group that was focused on the regular McDougall program that was as active!
I will introduce myself.
My name is Michael. I am a single 52-year old man living in the Atlanta, Georgia area. I have been following this WOE at least partially for over 10 years, but never seem to make any long-term gains. I need to lose at least 50 lbs. I have been at a stable weight for these 10 years. I enjoy hiking, biking and I work as an Engineer.

Michael

Chumly (Michael), I'm happy to meet you!! I'm 67 and have been married to the one and only love of my life for the last 44 years. We have 3 adult children and 2 grandchildren (ages 3 and 7). As I mentioned above, I wish that I had known about McDougall many decades ago when my husband and I were raising our three kids. I take care of our 2 grandsons during the week while their parents work full time. Right now, our grandsons are the joy of my life and we love having them at our house during the week. I have a big exercise DVD collection and workout at home regularly to various exercise DVDs mostly strength based workouts such as weight lifting, Barre, pilates, Essentrics/Classical Stretch and I also love Yin Yoga.
Daydream

Postby VegSeekingFit » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:05 pm

Hi to all!!! :)

Just want to say LOVE this post and LOVE what others have shared. :)

I am so glad to see fellow McD'ers... Happy to meet you all!!! I am usually quite content to be tucked away in Journals or MWL Forums... :lol:

I am 54-year-old female --- happily married 30 years (to a non-McD'er) ... Have an awesome son. Really happy to be following MWL checklist. This has been awesome for me and I plan to continue to greedily latch onto it. Found McD in 2003 and implemented some concepts --- but not all... (which worked fine for me for many years until I became less active and older) ... But yeah... guess "It's the food..."

I love pets, hiking, exploring nature, board games, reading, music, community investment work, chatting!!! ... Living in Chicagoland suburbs...

Idea... :!: ... If even this little group just posts .... then some activity will come... :D

Best to all,
Stephanie
I ❤️ the McDougall program!! It has given me a new lease on life.

Thankful for amazing people - McDs, JeffN, Mark, Tiffany, Goose!

https://www.drmcdougall.com/education/s ... ight-loss/
VegSeekingFit

Postby Chumly » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:24 am

Idea... :!: ... If even this little group just posts .... then some activity will come... :D

It's like Field of Dreams!

I've been more consistent with the food for the past two weeks than I have for a while. I'm trying to find a system that works for me. I've tried following MWL but I feel it is too restrictive at this time. I have baked some McDougall-compliant muffins and have found have a sandwich and raw vegetables in the afternoon helps me to stay away from unhealthy choices after I finish work. I will discuss my plan further later on today.

Michael
Chumly

Postby Ejeff » Thu Oct 27, 2022 6:52 am

I have been following Dr. McDougall since 2015. I’m 59, and like Daydream, I wish I had discovered this healthy way of eating much sooner when I was raising my 3 kids. I feel fortunate that I discovered it at all. When I began, I was the typical SAD eater and gained weight over time so I was 141 pounds at 5’2”. Now I am around 105 pounds and am able to maintain this while eating lots of delicious food. The best part is I get to live a pain free life and participate in all the activities I enjoy.

I’ve been married 36 years, my husband eats SAD, I have 3 children and 1 grandson who will turn 1 in a few weeks. I live in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I’m retired now so we have more freedom to travel which we are trying to do. Since I retired my new passion is Pickleball, but I’ve always loved sports and keeping active.

I liked it when the boards were more active as well. I check the forum most mornings, it’s just part of my daily routine.

I would like to figure out a way to help those around me regain their health, but don’t seem to be making much progress on that front.

Thanks to everyone who participates on the forum, it’s great to know you all virtually. I’m thankful the McDougall's provide us this space to connect no matter how infrequently.

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby f1jim » Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:30 am

It is much harder to generate buzz without the events that used to feed these forums. The regular 10 day programs, the regular speaking events, and Dr. McDougall on his speaking circuit would all generate interest and discussion. Some of it was pretty heated. But the heat was about diet and talking points that don't come that often. It's like we are all waiting for the next charismatic leader to take us out of the wilderness.
All that while it appears plant based eating is surging in popularity. I can't believe the amount of "plant based" references I see in advertising today. But the actual number of people eating healthy is still a very small number and it's always been about rousting that very small number into action. That requires leadership and dedication. Dr. McDougall has given his entire life to that cause and new blood must come forward to take up that cause. Keep looking, it will come.
Till then just the odd post or two from the hard cores will help. I see this as a kick in the pants for myself.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:11 pm

A Balloon A Balloon wrote:I've lurked the forums for a while without joining, and have eaten this way for about seven years - Dr McDougall's videos actually taught me how to eat properly when I became vegan :) I'm at the start of my thirties, in the UK, and now at university studying to become a dietitian - without Dr McDougall and Jeff Novick I really don't think I would have developed this interest and decided to go for it.

Hi, Balloon! What part of the UK are you in? Where are you studying? Do you know Kathryn UK? We met on this board, and have visited her in Oxford, where she runs a small Air BnB. She also has a UK McDougall Facebook group and sometimes organizes get togethers. She almost came to visit us and attend a McDougall event in Santa Rosa, but COVID intervened.

We live in Pacifica, near San Francisco. If you are ever in our area, we would welcome a visit.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:49 pm

Chumly wrote:I would love it if this board became more active again! I only check it once or twice a week now because there is so little activity. The MWL board is the most active, I wish there was a group that was focused on the regular McDougall program that was as active!
I will introduce myself.

Michael

Welcome, Chumly, and thank you for your response in the "Meet the Members" section. I deal with a lot of engineers in my current job where I'm a workplace investigator for the California Public Utilities Commission. I retired in 2018 but went back to work-part time after Covid hit since I was getting bored being locked up. Most of us work from home now, but I get plenty of virtual interaction and have been enjoying the experience.

If you want interaction with people doing the regular McDougall program, just post something about your own experience with that, and add a bit about your other interests as well.

I do the regular McDougall program mostly, unless I have fallen off the wagon and need a boost back up, in when case I tend to do Mary's mini with sweet potatoes.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Oct 28, 2022 12:54 pm

f1jim wrote:It is much harder to generate buzz without the events that used to feed these forums. The regular 10 day programs, the regular speaking events, and Dr. McDougall on his speaking circuit would all generate interest and discussion. Some of it was pretty heated. But the heat was about diet and talking points that don't come that often. It's like we are all waiting for the next charismatic leader to take us out of the wilderness.
All that while it appears plant based eating is surging in popularity. I can't believe the amount of "plant based" references I see in advertising today. But the actual number of people eating healthy is still a very small number and it's always been about rousting that very small number into action. That requires leadership and dedication. Dr. McDougall has given his entire life to that cause and new blood must come forward to take up that cause. Keep looking, it will come.
Till then just the odd post or two from the hard cores will help. I see this as a kick in the pants for myself.
f1jim

Hi, Jim, always a pleasure to kick you in the pants (LOL). Jim is our neighbor and resident computer whiz. I'm technologically impaired and have no kids to teach me. I can always count on Jim for that kind of help.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Fri Oct 28, 2022 1:05 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi to all!!! :)

Just want to say LOVE this post and LOVE what others have shared. :)

I am so glad to see fellow McD'ers... Happy to meet you all!!! I am usually quite content to be tucked away in Journals or MWL Forums... :lol:

I am 54-year-old female --- happily married 30 years (to a non-McD'er) ... Have an awesome son. Really happy to be following MWL checklist. This has been awesome for me and I plan to continue to greedily latch onto it. Found McD in 2003 and implemented some concepts --- but not all... (which worked fine for me for many years until I became less active and older) ... But yeah... guess "It's the food..."

I love pets, hiking, exploring nature, board games, reading, music, community investment work, chatting!!! ... Living in Chicagoland suburbs...

Best to all,
Stephanie

Good to hear from you, Stephanie,

I have to laugh at your reference to being an "older" and less active. You're young enough to be my daughter (although I have no kids). My husband and I do have several godchildren, one graduated from college about a year ago and has a job designing operating systems for spacecraft. Another will graduate from law school next year. We helped her two mothers adopt her from China. 54 is still young. Keep active, keep learning and keep posting.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Doug_ » Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:34 pm

Isn't it just less active because no one knows where to find this? It's not connected to drmcdougall.com anymore.
Doug_

Next

Return to The Lounge