Let's get this board active again

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Let's get this board active again

Postby Daydream » Mon Oct 31, 2022 2:17 pm

Doug_ wrote:Isn't it just less active because no one knows where to find this? It's not connected to drmcdougall.com anymore.

Hi Doug_! I just now looked and drmcdougall.com IS connected to this forum! Scroll down to the bottom of the home page and it is listed as "Forums"
Daydream

Postby Doug_ » Mon Oct 31, 2022 3:42 pm

Daydream wrote:
Doug_ wrote:Isn't it just less active because no one knows where to find this? It's not connected to drmcdougall.com anymore.

Hi Doug_! I just now looked and drmcdougall.com IS connected to this forum! Scroll down to the bottom of the home page and it is listed as "Forums"

I see, yeah, a little less obvious than before when it was in the top-of-the-page menus.

I found this forum again only after a google search.
Doug_

Postby Ejeff » Tue Nov 01, 2022 6:09 am

I had trouble finding it also as you must scroll to the bottom and new people wouldn’t know to do that.

I also noticed in reviewing this closer that all the links at the bottom are available at the top also. Perhaps forums could be added to the drop down under the Education option.

Not sure who on the McDougall team would need to approve such a change?

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:46 pm

Chumly wrote:I would love it if this board became more active again! I only check it once or twice a week now because there is so little activity. The MWL board is the most active, I wish there was a group that was focused on the regular McDougall program that was as active!
I will introduce myself.
My name is Michael. I am a single 52-year old man living in the Atlanta, Georgia area. I have been following this WOE at least partially for over 10 years, but never seem to make any long-term gains. I need to lose at least 50 lbs. I have been at a stable weight for these 10 years. I enjoy hiking, biking and I work as an Engineer.

Michael

Hi Michael, :-D

Saw in your other post you were looking to gear up a plan...

Another idea (since you seemed to like my other idea perhaps)... :!: You could start a Journal? There are some folks posting there (since you aren't looking to do MWL now, but maybe like support...)

Best,
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:53 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:
VegSeekingFit wrote:Hi to all!!! :)

Just want to say LOVE this post and LOVE what others have shared. :)

I am so glad to see fellow McD'ers... Happy to meet you all!!! I am usually quite content to be tucked away in Journals or MWL Forums... :lol:

I am 54-year-old female --- happily married 30 years (to a non-McD'er) ... Have an awesome son. Really happy to be following MWL checklist. This has been awesome for me and I plan to continue to greedily latch onto it. Found McD in 2003 and implemented some concepts --- but not all... (which worked fine for me for many years until I became less active and older) ... But yeah... guess "It's the food..."

I love pets, hiking, exploring nature, board games, reading, music, community investment work, chatting!!! ... Living in Chicagoland suburbs...

Idea... :!: ... If even this little group just posts .... then some activity will come... :D

Best to all,
Stephanie

Good to hear from you, Stephanie,

I have to laugh at your reference to being an "older" and less active. You're young enough to be my daughter (although I have no kids). My husband and I do have several godchildren, one graduated from college about a year ago and has a job designing operating systems for spacecraft. Another will graduate from law school next year. We helped her two mothers adopt her from China. 54 is still young. Keep active, keep learning and keep posting.

Hi Vanilla Orchid! :D

Nice to meet you!!!! I love what you wrote about your family!!! :) Have a couple of great friends who also adopted daughter from China --- she is almost ready to graduate high school now.

I think that (know that) I did a poor job articulating what I meant to say here (in my initial post)... Best believe that I am feeling 30 years younger now (and am on my way to being active --- and not looking at a # of calendar years as old / young)!!!

More meant, that I followed some parts of McD from 2003 for maybe 10 years (when really active and in early 30's), then maybe struggling with my weight for the rest of those years (after going back to work FT and stopping some running) before finally getting fully on board to McD plan (about 18 months in and ready to keep going)!!!

Hope that you are having an awesome week!
Stephanie
"Just put one foot in front of the other and don't worry about the length of the path.
Once you get on that path, and the longer you stay on it, there eventually will come a time when you will not turn back." - Martina Navratilova
VegSeekingFit

Postby Chumly » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:06 pm

VegSeekingFit wrote:
Chumly wrote:Saw in your other post you were looking to gear up a plan...

Another idea (since you seemed to like my other idea perhaps)... :!: You could start a Journal? There are some folks posting there (since you aren't looking to do MWL now, but maybe like support...)

Best,
Stephanie

Hi Stephanie,

That's a great idea! I've started a few times, but never stuck with it. I'm working at being more consistent, so this may help!

Michael
Chumly

Postby KatherineUK » Wed Nov 02, 2022 2:39 pm

Love this thread. As you can see from my name I'm in the UK and host the UK McDougall Friends Facebook group. I've been McDougalling for 12 years (I joined on 2 Dec 2010 so that's my anniversary). I've been singularly unsuccessful in creating a UK wide explosion of McDougalling LOL but I've kept going and have about half a dozen hard core fellow devotees.

I'm really sad that it looks as though there won't be any more in person McDougall weekends/weeks. Not just because I wanted to shake his and Mary's hands and thank them personally but also because Zoom - though a pandemic lifesaver - just doesn't deliver emotionally and then there's the time zone issue which further removes any emotional contact.

I'm 64 and part retired. I lost my full-time librarian job during the pandemic which turned out to be all for the best. I currently do 8/16 most days though it isn't always possible. I do MWL about 70 percent of the time. I occasionally eat tofu, avo and have a small amount of nuts in my porridge most days. I have a hazel tree in my garden.

I had bulimia for 10 years from my late teens. I was vegetarian on and off for about 15 years or so and put on a lot of weight when I was unhappily married (my hubby was ill not nasty) I eventually discovered McDougall after having a bad reaction to BP tablets and a GPs refusal to change them. I've lost about 20-30 lbs gradually over the years (part of recovering from bulimia was to stop weighing myself and accept that my weight, whatever it was, was absolutely fine).

Anyway back to McD I think it's odd and short-sighted that the website gives so little priority to the Forums but I can see that from a web design perspective they could be tricky to slot into the structure. If it was up to me though I'd have them on the front page because of their importance in enabling people to contact each other. This latter is the signle most important factor in remaining compliance in my opinion. Meeting other McDougallers could probably be said to have saved my life and I truly believe that in rejecting the orthodoxy of the fast and processed food industries we are part of a movement that helps humanits (sorry to sound corny LOL).

I've had the priviledge of meeting Vanilla Orchid, Jim and their lovely partners and friends, encounters that were memorably emotional. I may be coming to visit Vanilla Orchid next year and hope to meet some of the amazing people and others not yet met when I do.

Thanks to you all and my very very best wishes

Katherine
x
In Democratic countries the violent nature of the economy is not perceived, whereas in authoritarian countries what is not perceived is the economic nature of violence- Brecht

If we don't try we don't do; and if we don't do why are we here on this earth?
KatherineUK

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:29 pm

OMG!!!!

Katherine UK is (believe it or not) one of my all-time best buddies even though we live on different continents. Yup, we met on this very board, and have visited in person and via Zoom and other electronic means over the years. She even threw a party for us in London with a few UK McDougallers, and we will do the same for her whenever it is she vists us. YES, you are all invited and I'll post in time for you to make arrangements. Katherine let me join UK McDougallers Facebook group on the condition that I use UK spellings, which I do, to the best of my ability. :)

I, too, am now semi-retired. Cut back a lot on travel due to COVID, but I'm cautiously optimistic that will change if we all do our best to eat well, mask in crowded places, get our vaccinations and respect one another's boundaries so we can all stay as safe as possible.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Werner » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:52 pm

I have not been posting because I am just not good at staying true to the plan. I've not lost weight, so I do not want to come here to feel guilty! :) Although for the most part I do, and I think that is keeping me healthy.
Werner

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:46 pm

Werner wrote:I have not been posting because I am just not good at staying true to the plan. I've not lost weight, so I do not want to come here to feel guilty! :) Although for the most part I do, and I think that is keeping me healthy.

Thank you for posting. Please continue. Guilt is a useless emotion. If only perfect people posted here no one would post. Weight loss is not the only measure of success. Good health without weight loss is also a success. You are free to set your own goals, and this a great place to share your successes as YOU define them, and to ask for help if you choose.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Hjklost55 » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:08 pm

Hello All, I’m Holly from Idaho, USA. I stumbled onto this board. I am new to the forums, but not new to this WOE. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease in 2015 at 60 years old. I was actually walking with a cane, I hurt all over so bad. All the Drs wanted to do was prescribe drugs……. I started researching and discovered that all the processed foods, meats, dairy, and crap were causing my inflammation. So I slowly changed my diet, and low and behold I started feeling better. Fast forward a few years, I have lost close to 50 lbs and feeling amazing. I am active, playing pickleball, hiking, and biking. Took the 12-day McD class in November 2021 and have recommitted to cleaning up a few bad habits that have slipped back into my life. Happy to have this forum to connect with like minded individuals. And look forward to meeting all of you.

Take Care,
Holly :-)
Hjklost55

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Nov 06, 2022 12:13 pm

Hjklost55 wrote:Hello All, I’m Holly from Idaho, USA. I stumbled onto this board. I am new to the forums, but not new to this WOE. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease in 2015 at 60 years old. I was actually walking with a cane, I hurt all over so bad. All the Drs wanted to do was prescribe drugs……. I started researching and discovered that all the processed foods, meats, dairy, and crap were causing my inflammation. So I slowly changed my diet, and low and behold I started feeling better. Fast forward a few years, I have lost close to 50 lbs and feeling amazing. I am active, playing pickleball, hiking, and biking. Took the 12-day McD class in November 2021 and have recommitted to cleaning up a few bad habits that have slipped back into my life. Happy to have this forum to connect with like minded individuals. And look forward to meeting all of you.

Take Care,
Holly :-)

Keep it up and keep in touch. You are just a few years younger than I. You may never know how many other people's lives you may be affecting. The people I met on this forum have made a difference and continue to make a difference in our lives. My husband had bypass surgery in April--last option after he had tried EVERYTHING else, including the McDougall program (I think it was the last 10-day live in person in Santa Rosa). After exhausting all other options, we were on the phone to fellow McDougallers who had similar problems for whatever they could share. We also dropped by f1jim's house and went out to dinner with him and his wife and commiserated. Yes, all of this made a difference in my husband's recovery (he's doing unbelievably well now). Still on program. Still very active. Living well.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby Chumly » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:55 am

How's everyone doing today? I have my meals prepped for the week. I have cooked potatoes, bean burritoes, brown rice, collard greens and raw carrots and peppers for my meals. There is a couple of routes I can take to walk during my lunch break. One is about 1.3 miles and the other is about 2.3 miles. My plan is to eat my food and walk one of those routes at lunch time at least 3x during the week. Breakfast will be potatoes or oatmeal with fruit. Dinner will be a bean burger on Ezekial bread with raw veggies and fruit. I have found some 10 - 20 minutes workout videos on Youtube that I have been incorporating in my breakfast routine.

Michael
Chumly

Postby VegSeekingFit » Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:18 pm

Chumly wrote:How's everyone doing today? I have my meals prepped for the week. I have cooked potatoes, bean burritoes, brown rice, collard greens and raw carrots and peppers for my meals. There is a couple of routes I can take to walk during my lunch break. One is about 1.3 miles and the other is about 2.3 miles. My plan is to eat my food and walk one of those routes at lunch time at least 3x during the week. Breakfast will be potatoes or oatmeal with fruit. Dinner will be a bean burger on Ezekial bread with raw veggies and fruit. I have found some 10 - 20 minutes workout videos on Youtube that I have been incorporating in my breakfast routine.

Michael

Hey, HI to everyone who posted before!!! :)

Hi Michael!!! :D

Personally, doing great ... and it sounds like you are too!!! Love your prep that you shared and your walking options!!!

Seriously, should check out Journal forum... there is no mandated frequency of updating journal and folks are supportive!!!

Appreciate that you shared what you are doing... (Still looking for the elusive LOVE emoji...)

Cheers,
Stephanie
VegSeekingFit

Postby Ejeff » Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:25 am

Chumly, your food sounds awesome and great job with preparation and planning. Very good you found some YouTube videos and nice walking routes for outside. I am the same way with exercise, I try to schedule it for fixed days, if I plan it I do it, otherwise the idea just passes through my brain and my body won’t move :-D

Have a great week!

Erin
"The more disciplined your environment is, the less disciplined you need to be. Don't swim upstream."
Ejeff

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge