Statins vs. supplements: study finds one is 'vastly superior

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Statins vs. supplements: study finds one is 'vastly superior

Postby darad » Sun Nov 06, 2022 10:50 pm

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2022/11/06/1134094540/statins-vs-supplements-new-study-finds-one-is-vastly-superior-to-cut-cholesterol

The sponsoring Cleveland Clinic knew the answer before the silly study even started. So they proved statin drug had more effect in reducing cholesterol than various supplements. Guess they didn't wish to bother asking their own Dr Caldwell Esselstyn for his thoughts. :roll:
darad

Re: Statins vs. supplements: study finds one is 'vastly supe

Postby barryoilbegone » Mon Nov 07, 2022 4:38 am

Be grateful to hear from other people on this, but I get the sense that much of the Cleveland Clinic has dissociated itself sadly from Dr Esselstyn over much of the last decade, or perhaps longer.

Even when he was practising actively there, and publishing the initial results, many staff there seemed to carry on regardless, and either ignored or be mildly dismissive of what he was doing, I got the impression? - again, I'm guessing with the financial implications not being what some of them were after, and it not being a prestigious pill or surgical procedure that they could market.

And yep, stands out loud and clear that his voice isn't part of this study either, but only if you know of him - which many readers of that article won't... :S
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Postby DynoDan » Mon Nov 07, 2022 2:39 pm

Another embarrassing example of ‘conflict of interest’. Those who stand to benefit financially demonstrating/supporting the superiority of a form of treatment that is only available from them. While I don’t doubt that statins are more effective than dietary supplements. the fact that the MOST effective dietary-related treatment to reduce cholesterol (WFPBNO) wasn’t included/mentioned (?) is quite condemning.
DynoDan

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Nov 07, 2022 3:01 pm

barryoilbegone wrote:Be grateful to hear from other people on this, but I get the sense that much of the Cleveland Clinic has dissociated itself sadly from Dr Esselstyn over much of the last decade, or perhaps longer.

When my husband needed CABG surgery back in 2013 here in NJ, we found out that his surgeon had previously spent 10 years in the CV/thoracic surgery unit in the Cleveland Clinic and I asked him if he knew Dr Esselstyn. He rolled his eyes, said he did know him, but all the surgeons consider him a quack and never recommend their patients to attend his clinic. I then asked if he even read the book and he said he never will, not when his patients can easily be "cured" by a "simple surgical procedure", as he called a 5 artery bypass surgery.

BTW, hubby is doing just fine following 100% McDougall eating - he was only about 80% pre-op, drinking soda and eating greasy chips every night after a Jeff Novick SNAP dinner, and immediately post-op he did do the Esselstyn 6 greens a day protocol for the first year or so. He hasn't even seen the local cardiologist since 2015, not since his last stress test showed no narrowing or blockages but the doc still wanted a new cardiac cath because he didn't believe it. He doesn't make any money on healthy people, as Dr McDougall would say.
VeggieSue

Postby Taggart » Tue Nov 08, 2022 3:50 am

It's been now over a decade since Dr. Sanjay Gupta's CNN special "The Last Heart Attack" was released with Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn along with Dr. Dean Ornish as two of the star attractions. I thought that show might of moved the needle in people making an effort to improving their lifestyles, but nope. A few, too few.
Taggart

Postby barryoilbegone » Tue Nov 08, 2022 5:01 am

VeggieSue wrote:
barryoilbegone wrote:Be grateful to hear from other people on this, but I get the sense that much of the Cleveland Clinic has dissociated itself sadly from Dr Esselstyn over much of the last decade, or perhaps longer.

When my husband needed CABG surgery back in 2013 here in NJ, we found out that his surgeon had previously spent 10 years in the CV/thoracic surgery unit in the Cleveland Clinic and I asked him if he knew Dr Esselstyn. He rolled his eyes, said he did know him, but all the surgeons consider him a quack and never recommend their patients to attend his clinic. I then asked if he even read the book and he said he never will, not when his patients can easily be "cured" by a "simple surgical procedure", as he called a 5 artery bypass surgery.

BTW, hubby is doing just fine following 100% McDougall eating - he was only about 80% pre-op, drinking soda and eating greasy chips every night after a Jeff Novick SNAP dinner, and immediately post-op he did do the Esselstyn 6 greens a day protocol for the first year or so. He hasn't even seen the local cardiologist since 2015, not since his last stress test showed no narrowing or blockages but the doc still wanted a new cardiac cath because he didn't believe it. He doesn't make any money on healthy people, as Dr McDougall would say.

Glad you wrote this Veggie Sue, and brilliant to hear about your husband. But damn - it's almost surreal to look at that quote from that surgeon. The mental gymnastics and self-absorbed attitudes behind that "professional" are frightening to read. Albeit it reminded me of similar attitudes I encountered when I've worked in the British NHS.
"All people are made alike - of bones and flesh and dinner. Only the dinners are different.”

Gertrude Louise Cheney
barryoilbegone

Return to The Lounge