How Dr. McDougall treats diabetes type 1.5

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

How Dr. McDougall treats diabetes type 1.5

Postby EmmetFitzhume » Fri May 05, 2023 7:36 am

I watched a video Dr. Mcdougall did where he talks about this with Chef AJ.

So if you eliminate insulin resistance with the program but sugars remain "too" high due to lack of insulin production Dr. Mcdougall might use a little long acting insulin to lower the sugar.

However, it really sounds like he is reluctant to prescribe the insulin. Doing so only in order to make patients and family "feel better" - that something is being done! Or in the case sugars are still causing excessive thirst he will do the insulin to relieve the symptom.

It really almost feels like he would rather not treat the sugar. My question is this: Does Dr. McDougall feel/know that elevated sugar on it's own is not going to cause eye complications/kidney damage/heart attacks and strokes? Is it possible that on a whole foods plant based diet with low cholesterol and blood pressure the complications can be avoided? That the complications are really caused by fat? That the sugar is just one symptom?

I always thought the elevated sugar itself caused significant damage. Is this not the case?
EmmetFitzhume

Return to The Lounge