Blood Thinner Meds

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood Thinner Meds

Postby hallelujahgirl » Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:26 pm

Hi, not sure where to post this question.
I had Covid and had Afib. Now I have to be on blood thinners, even though no more afib. Im taking Pradaxa
My new Ins. co doesn't cover Pradaxa, so I have to take Zoralto or Eloquist.
Which of the two do you think is the safest. IF that's the word? Don't know if Dr. will really honestly know the difference.

Thanks so much for your feedback.

Carol
hallelujahgirl

Re: Blood Thinner Meds

Postby jay kaye » Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:24 pm

The real question is: Why do you have to be on any blood thinners if no A-fib?

How long have you been strictly on Program? Have you searched the website for info on A-fib? Take a look here

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... ib#p629498

and

https://www.drmcdougallforums.com/viewt ... ib#p625940
jay kaye

Postby hallelujahgirl » Fri Jun 02, 2023 8:29 pm

Thx, I will read again, but I have already checked McDougall. Seems it a unanimous decision that once the heart has fibrilated, it very well could do it again. Maybe not, but might. Im at high risk for stroke because Im over 65 and a woman. If Im not on thinner and my heart afibs, it could clot and cause a stroke. It may never afib again, but if one day it does, then Im at risk of stroke because of clotting. Something caused the electrical miss fire and it could happen again.
hallelujahgirl

Postby debknott » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:28 am

I had AFib back in 2018. I had to take Eliquis for a while, but not very long. I see my heart doc just once per year and don't take any heart meds. I'm 70 now. I know that AFib can come back but I don't worry about it at all. :)
debknott

Postby landog » Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:34 pm

hallelujahgirl wrote:Thx, I will read again, but I have already checked McDougall. Seems it a unanimous decision that once the heart has fibrilated, it very well could do it again. Maybe not, but might. Im at high risk for stroke because Im over 65 and a woman. If Im not on thinner and my heart afibs, it could clot and cause a stroke. It may never afib again, but if one day it does, then Im at risk of stroke because of clotting. Something caused the electrical miss fire and it could happen again.

Hi hallelujahgirl!

Sorry - I don't have an opinion on Xoralto or Eloquist. But, I do use a device that lets me know if I am having AFib. My cardiologist recommended it. i thought that you might be interested.

https://store.kardia.com/products/kardiamobile

One word of caution. You would need to be able to interpret the waveform when it says 'possible afib (it can misinterpret sometimes).' My cardiologist schooled me on that.

Be well,
-dog
landog

Return to The Lounge