Hash Browns Unfashionable?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hash Browns Unfashionable?

Postby f1jim » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:03 pm

I have always loved hashbrowns as a meal anytime. I stick them in the air fryer and in 20 minutes they are ready
But lately I am having a hard time finding them in stores. Ore Ida hash browns were always a staple in most grocery stores, now they are rarely in stock. Other brands are even more hit and miss. Are they just not popular as f breakfast item anymore?
I don't think it's a problem with the potato supply as they seem to be as popular as ever as french fries and tots at fast food places.
What gives?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Hash Browns Unfashionable?

Postby Starflower » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:27 pm

Hi Jim,

Do you have an Aldi nearby? Theirs are very good. I have a few bags in my freezer that were bought not too long ago.
This journey is one of constant small adjustments. Nothing is ever static, no matter how long you've been eating this way. If something isn't working, you tweak it and make small changes until it works better.
- Wildgoose
Starflower

Postby f1jim » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:24 pm

Unfortunately, we have no Aldi's near me. We have lot's of choices but none that stock hash browns consistently.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Daydream » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:11 am

f1jim wrote:I have always loved hashbrowns as a meal anytime. I stick them in the air fryer and in 20 minutes they are ready
But lately I am having a hard time finding them in stores.
f1jim

Jim, do you have a Sprouts Market near you? I have bought Cascadian Farm Organic Hash Browns from a nearby Sprouts Market. The only ingredients are organic potatoes. I think Safeway and Bristol Farms markets might have them too.

https://www.cascadianfarm.com/product/hashbrowns/
Daydream

Postby f1jim » Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:59 pm

We do have a Sprouts close by but they almost never have them in stock. I have spoken to the manager and he says he has no input on availability. He says they show up when they show up!
f1jim
f1jim

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:39 am

I just chalked it up to the current bugaboo "supply chain issues".

Our local Stop and Shop store had very little Ore-Ida potatoes most of the winter and spring and only recently had that freezer fully stocked. Their store brand hash browns and potatoes O'Brian were also hit and miss for a while. They did have a good supply of other brands of frozen potatoes but they all had oil in them.

As for Cascadian brand, at half the amount but twice the price I'd rather cook up a batch of russets in the InstantPot and shred them myself when I wanted hash browns. I could buy a 10 pound bag of organic russets at Costco for the price of 2 tiny bags of Cascadian frozen! Just keep a few pre-cooked ones in the refrigerator and grab the box grater when you need to shred a spud or 2 for a quick meal.
VeggieSue

Postby f1jim » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:03 am

Great ides, VeggieSue. I'm going to give that a try. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Chumly » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:54 am

I didn't know you could shred them after you cook them. I'll have to give that a try!

Michael
Chumly

Postby debknott » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:09 am

Veggie Sue,

I like your idea, but I would think cooked potatoes would be too soft to shred. If you have already done this, let us know how they turned out!

Deborah
debknott

Postby Homesick » Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:08 pm

I always have instant pot cooked red potatoes in the fridge (5 min, natural release). I sometimes rice some and spread them out on parchment paper and air fry them. The peaks and edges get brown and delicious. Not exactly hash browns, but very tasty and easy clean up.
Homesick

Postby VeggieSue » Sat Jul 22, 2023 11:50 am

debknott wrote:I like your idea, but I would think cooked potatoes would be too soft to shred. If you have already done this, let us know how they turned out!

Jeannine Elder of Potato Wisdom has a slew of videos (plus her Potato Reset book) showing how she manipulates previously cooked potatoes to make tasty spud meals. The secret to grating them is to cool them in the refrigerator first.

https://www.youtube.com/@PotatoWisdom
VeggieSue

Return to The Lounge